Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N6: I might show up for the medical because I called there & they said I should show up Tuesday & then decline afterwards if I don't want the job. The lady said I can still have my name reinstated on the list at DCAS. Hope this is correct info, because I feel it's not. Going to try to call DCAS tomorrow. I also assume that by declining, you go to the bottom of the list if you put your name back on? Anyone know about this?

I don't mean to sound like a paranoid freak here - but I quit tobacco nearly 3 months ago and have been using an electronic cigarette (or e-cigarette) since. All it is is small amounts of nicotine, purified water and vegetable glycerin. I'm hoping no false positives will come up on a urine test!

Edited by SubwayRat1978

N6: I might show up for the medical because I called there & they said I should show up Tuesday & then decline afterwards if I don't want the job. The lady said I can still have my name reinstated on the list at DCAS. Hope this is correct info, because I feel it's not. Going to try to call DCAS tomorrow. I also assume that by declining, you go to the bottom of the list if you put your name back on? Anyone know about this?

When you reinstate, you go to your old position on the list, which means you'll be called as soon as the next batch is invited down.

You should be glad for that because if you were to wind up at the bottom of the list you would NEVER get called as Transit almost never gets past the first 3500 eligibles (out of more than 10,000 typically) before the list expires, is thrown out, and a new list from a later test is started.

Does anyone have an idea how long it will take them to call us back in after we do our pre-employment/drug screening? Or do they usually just build up a bank of eligible people and have us wait til they are ready?

It varies. There's no right answer to this.

OK, mediccjh's recap from yesterday.

Got there at 6:45. I was the 6th person in line. They started promptly at 7:30. Two different lines; everyone was given a small packet to fill out for the whiz quiz.

Stood and stared at the wall for a few minutes; none of the bodegas I passed in the morning had any word find books. Damn them!

Called my ticket; turned in the packet, filled out the yellow paper, and proceeded for the whiz quiz.

NOTE WHEN GOING FOR THE WHIZ QUIZ: Stamp your paper, and put it in the mail slot. I didn't at first, and I got the evil eye from one of the lab techs; another came, was cool, and showed me the errors of my ways.

Went to take the whiz quiz, and......nothing. You are allowed 40 oz of water that they supply you within 3 hours of your first attempt. You must make at least 45 mL of urine. Took a bottle of water, stared at the wall for 90 minutes while telling everyone how to clock in, and then my kidneys and bladder finally decided to cooperate after the second bottle.

Did the whiz quiz, went back into the main waiting area. Got the 21-page packet of homework, along with the 10-page packet on how to do the 21-page packet of homework. If you need extra forms, they're on the wall near the hall leading to the bathroom. I was out of there by 10:00.

In regards to your work history: Go to your local SS office, and they will print out your complete history for $35. Money well worth it, since they want ALL employment since high school.

Now I hurry up and wait for a phone call or snail mail.

OK, mediccjh's recap from yesterday.

Got there at 7:30. I was the 6th person in line. They started promptly at 7:30. Two different lines; everyone was given a small packet to fill out for the whiz quiz.

Stood and stared at the wall for a few minutes; none of the bodegas I passed in the morning had any word find books. Damn them!

Called my ticket; turned in the packet, filled out the yellow paper, and proceeded for the whiz quiz.

NOTE WHEN GOING FOR THE WHIZ QUIZ: Stamp your paper, and put it in the mail slot. I didn't at first, and I got the evil eye from one of the lab techs; another came, was cool, and showed me the errors of my ways.

Went to take the whiz quiz, and......nothing. You are allowed 40 oz of water that they supply you within 3 hours of your first attempt. You must make at least 45 mL of urine. Took a bottle of water, stared at the wall for 90 minutes while telling everyone how to clock in, and then my kidneys and bladder finally decided to cooperate after the second bottle.

Did the whiz quiz, went back into the main waiting area. Got the 21-page packet of homework, along with the 10-page packet on how to do the 21-page packet of homework. If you need extra forms, they're on the wall near the hall leading to the bathroom. I was out of there by 10:00.

In regards to your work history: Go to your local SS office, and they will print out your complete history for $35. Money well worth it, since they want ALL employment since high school.

Now I hurry up and wait for a phone call or snail mail.

I just got home. Got there this morning at about 0630 and was out by 0845. I managed to be the first in line when I got upstairs. Now to get started on this 21 page booklet...

Is it me or does the 5th floor remind you of the DMV lol. I'm just sitting thier looking at the board waiting till they call my number....

Edited by elantra06

Step one complete. Now for step two. I don't remember them giving a time frame for the next step. Also, if they don't finish checking your background until you come back with all the papers filled out, it seems like it could take a while to get appointed.

Got there at 6:45. I was the 6th person in line. They started promptly at 7:30. Two different lines; everyone was given a small packet to fill out for the whiz quiz.

6:45 and there were 5 others ahead of you? What time does that place open, 5am?

It'd be good to know since my number for C/R might come up soon.

Figure it'll take about a week for the whiz quizzes to be processed and the results to be sent to the MTA.

As for the Employment History, SS charges by year. 16 years, $45.50 for me. Check or money order only.

Good luck to everyone else going this week. Bring a book, and don't pee until you have to.

HI Mediccjh: did you have to bring specific documents for the "whiz quiz"? If so what were they? Could you share the title of the multi-page booklet so I can search the web for it or for a similar pre-employment booklet? thanks for your time. Good Luck - bc0v9g9

Edited by bc0v9g9

I personally wouldn't tell them you have sleep apnea.....they can try and disqualify you on those grounds.....

So what happens if they find out somehow later on. I will be out of a job right? I'm not going to volunteer any information but if they ask i'm not going to lie.

So what happens if they find out somehow later on. I will be out of a job right? I'm not going to volunteer any information but if they ask i'm not going to lie.

You may not be out of a Job but you will go through MAC(Quack Center) Hell for a while...

Bottom Line with something like that...

They Won't Find Out Unless you Tell Them :ph34r:

Edited by RTOMan

Step one complete. Now for step two. I don't remember them giving a time frame for the next step. Also, if they don't finish checking your background until you come back with all the papers filled out, it seems like it could take a while to get appointed.

I went though all of that Oct 21st 2001....

Oct 29th i was being sworn in....

The background check also includes the release of past medical records. When you get your 21 page booklet read the release form you will have to sign..