Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

well i called up and they told me that they tend to call more than they need so for everybody drug test thats over 90 days you have to fill out the paperwork again and to come in the date the 2nd job letter says. smh I really have to start saving my job history.

side note:

Keep in mind that if you switch tittles in TA they still make you put down your 10 yr history, so you might want to save that for future references, I'm learning the hard way lol

Thank you for sharing. Then I should get the same letter as well as everyone else after your #.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

went for the simulator today, the older instructor was pretty cool, the younger dude not so much. had maybe 5 min on the simulator, after doing signal stuff all day. in that 5 min of simulator training all the dude did was show the control and leave, i didn't realize that there was another foot of the screen being blocked, that i had to lean over to see while doing the sim and f**ked up the moves. the controls are all f**ked up and stopping isn't all that accurate so just be more careful than i was and the dude won't bitch about your operating.

went for the simulator today, the older instructor was pretty cool, the younger dude not so much. had maybe 5 min on the simulator, after doing signal stuff all day. in that 5 min of simulator training all the dude did was show the control and leave, i didn't realize that there was another foot of the screen being blocked, that i had to lean over to see while doing the sim and f**ked up the moves. the controls are all f**ked up and stopping isn't all that accurate so just be more careful than i was and the dude won't bitch about your operating.

???????????? I actually had a good time operating the sim. Damn that's not cool that you had a bad experience

Don't feel bad the older one we had to use was worse much much worse.... I lost count how many stations I overran.

i went down to 140 livingston yesterday to come off a medical hold.  im off and back on the list

i was told that the june 30th class has not been filled yet and they will be calling  for that class soon.   i don't know the number that they are up to and my number is 229x but they are passed that because of my medical hold 

good luck everyone

i went down to 140 livingston yesterday to come off a medical hold.  im off and back on the list

i was told that the june 30th class has not been filled yet and they will be calling  for that class soon.   i don't know the number that they are up to and my number is 229x but they are passed that because of my medical hold 

good luck everyone

And good luck to you.

This is exciting. I'm very curious to see how the list progresses in the second half of this year.

The simulator is nothing like operating an actual train. NOTHING.

Just think of it as a "signal reading/interpreting exercise" and do the best you can. Most students don't even get that much time in there. What's going to help you most as a new train operator is learning to get a feel for the train - the real thing - how it handles, how it can brake, how it takes power, how to guess your speed when the speedometer is not working, whether you are going up or down grade...etc

You'll have to develop that when you operate the real trains.

i went down to 140 livingston yesterday to come off a medical hold. im off and back on the list

i was told that the june 30th class has not been filled yet and they will be calling for that class soon. i don't know the number that they are up to and my number is 229x but they are passed that because of my medical hold

good luck everyone

If you don't mind. What were you on medical hold for? And what did you have to do to be taken off? And about how long did this take you?

What exactly is the simulator?

i was on a sleep apnea hold.  

so i need to show a compliance report of 30 days useage and get a doctors note that the machine has cured my sleep apnea.

it took almost 30 days to come off the hold mostly because it took that long for the doctors appointment.  im sure if i were seeing a pulmonologist on a regular basis i could have gotten the letter without the appointment.

I got the letter to come back down for the medical (same letter to fill out as last time for the drug test so maybe this means my DT expired and just needs to be renewed). So my appointment is Jun 2, however, being that my list # is 244x, they might be up to my number? How do I go about asking to be postponed on the list so I can request to be reinstated later after my probation is finished as a C/R?

I got the letter to come back down for the medical (same letter to fill out as last time for the drug test so maybe this means my DT expired and just needs to be renewed). So my appointment is Jun 2, however, being that my list # is 244x, they might be up to my number? How do I go about asking to be postponed on the list so I can request to be reinstated later after my probation is finished as a C/R?

I suggest you take the T/O position now, that's if you really want it, because you never know when they will slow down hiring. If you finish probation as a CR, and go to T/O, you will have to do probation all over again anyway. If you want to be a T/O, I suggest you go for it now because tomorrow is not always promised. Hiring could cease or slow down at any moment. Plus your letting dozens of people in front of you seniority wise. A couple of bodies can make a huge difference pick wise let alone dozens possibly hundreds depending on how long you wait.

Edited by Success7

its for June 2nd. Thanks for the info, I'm just glad i dont have to fill out everything again. Still makes no sense to me that i had to fill out employment history again in the first place. Being that i already done it when i was hired as a B/O. but it's TA so im use to the head scratchers  lol

It's because you took the open competitive test. Since it's open competitive, you will be processed like your coming in for the first time like everyone else. If you would have taken the promotional exam, the process would have been different.

It's because you took the open competitive test. Since it's open competitive, you will be processed like your coming in for the first time like everyone else. If you would have taken the promotional exam, the process would have been different.

yea it was explained to me that way. It just seems like it would be easier for them to just get that info from there archives. I'm sure if they needed that info to discipline me for some bs they would get it with no problem lol. but hey I'll live 

What's crazy is my list number is 2602 guessed I had months to go. Unless ppl in front of me failed the dt or didn't take the job. I took the dt back in Feb hour it's not for the dt all over again.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Tapatalk

What's crazy is my list number is 2602 guessed I had months to go. Unless ppl in front of me failed the dt or didn't take the job. I took the dt back in Feb hour it's not for the dt all over again. @trainman

What's crazy is my list number is 2602 guessed I had months to go. Unless ppl in front of me failed the dt or didn't take the job. I took the dt back in Feb hour it's not for the dt all over again.

Interesting. I know a few people in the early 2500's who haven't gotten anything, including myself. I'll be watching the mail.

When you filled out the paperwork for T/O, you checked all the boxes that say you work for TA now, gave them your pass, and other info right? They should have had you fill out a single update page rather than the 21 page booklet, and they should have asked you if you were off probation.

They have deferred people's start dates to allow them to finish probation in one title before accepting appointment to another.

You can do it the way Success7 is saying, but it leaves you no room for error. I just want to make sure you know all your options, and also make sure that you've communicated your situation to the folks down at 180 and they know what's going on, since they generally will try to encourage employees still on probation in another title who do not have a title to go back to to defer, especially to accept appointment to Train Operator.

Basically just let them know....they have a duty to let you know all your options and what they entail, and then you can make an informed choice.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N

Interesting. I know a few people in the early 2500's who haven't gotten anything, including myself. I'll be watching the mail.

Trust I was just as shocked to see it in the mail today

I suggest you take the T/O position now, that's if you really want it, because you never know when they will slow down hiring. If you finish probation as a CR, and go to T/O, you will have to do probation all over again anyway. If you want to be a T/O, I suggest you go for it now because tomorrow is not always promised. Hiring could cease or slow down at any moment. Plus your letting dozens of people in front of you seniority wise. A couple of bodies can make a huge difference pick wise let alone dozens possibly hundreds depending on how long you wait.

However Ms. Shivers is likely to advice that he do indeed postpone until his C/R probation is complete. For if something were to go wrong, accepting the T/O appointment after the C/R probation means he can go back to C/R. Possibly with the same seniority or not but at least you can go back to C/R. Those who are taking the T/O position outright have no fall back options except the hard pavement on the street.

That is true but I look at things only positively. If I were him I'm not thinking about failing or not making probation. Just wouldn't be a thought in my head just like it wasn't a thought in my head when I came off the street to be a T/O. Of course he should do what he thinks is best for him at all costs but my mind frame is not one of doubt. Opportunity knocks, I go for it ASAP because tomorrow isn't promised. Just understand the consequences of your actions to the fullest extent and you wil be determined to not fail or sway.

When you filled out the paperwork for T/O, you checked all the boxes that say you work for TA now, gave them your pass, and other info right? They should have had you fill out a single update page rather than the 21 page booklet, and they should have asked you if you were off probation.

They have deferred people's start dates to allow them to finish probation in one title before accepting appointment to another.

You can do it the way Success7 is saying, but it leaves you no room for error. I just want to make sure you know all your options, and also make sure that you've communicated your situation to the folks down at 180 and they know what's going on, since they generally will try to encourage employees still on probation in another title who do not have a title to go back to to defer, especially to accept appointment to Train Operator.

Basically just let them know....they have a duty to let you know all your options and what they entail, and then you can make an informed choice.

Did not get that far. They sent me the same paperwork as the first time for the drug test. Does this mean I should go down on the 2nd, take the drug test again and then from there explain things to them? I mean I have not filled out anything at 180 yet that has my pass number and

all that for the paperwork for T/O. When I went last time for the drug test I basically did the test for both positions on the same day.

However Ms. Shivers is likely to advice that he do indeed postpone until his C/R probation is complete. For if something were to go wrong, accepting the T/O appointment after the C/R probation means he can go back to C/R. Possibly with the same seniority or not but at least you can go back to C/R. Those who are taking the T/O position outright have no fall back options except the hard pavement on the street.

Funny, Ms. Shivers was the one who first suggested I go for the C/R position, finish probation on that,then go for the T/O position. At that point I was really considering just waiting out the list and jumping straight into the T/O position outright.

That is true but I look at things only positively. If I were him I'm not thinking about failing or not making probation. Just wouldn't be a thought in my head just like it wasn't a thought in my head when I came off the street to be a T/O. Of course he should do what he thinks is best for him at all costs but my mind frame is not one of doubt. Opportunity knocks, I go for it ASAP because tomorrow isn't promised. Just understand the consequences of your actions to the fullest extent and you wil be determined to not fail or sway.

It's not about failing or not making probation out of thinking negatively. It's the fact that things can go wrong and when they do they go wrong hard and fast. Not trying to scare anyone but when a customer does something stupid. If the powers that be judge you should have seen such stupidity you can lose your job, especially while on probation. It's a hard truth. Man with a bag holds the back slightly over the edge of the platform. Not enough to be concerned but just enough that the train will hit the bag. If you hit the bag that's a collision. If you say you didn't notice it but the investigation determines you should have, well......having a back up down here for situations like that is a huge plus. Just remember it's not all about school car. School car can teach you the basics, but they can't show you all the ridiculous things that happen on the road because those things are limitless in numbers.

I over heard a senior train operator telling a probationary guy that the union doesn't truly have your back until you reach 3 years in title.  I have no idea where he got 3 years from, I thought he was messing with the guy's head but he looked dead serious. He never elaborated why 3 years.

What exactly happens right after you finish probation. Are you suppose to have full union protection ?  During orientation they said yes we still represent you during probation. Others say no you are on your own during the first year. Then I hear people say its expected for you to make mistakes during your first year because its understandable (within reason obviously, like hitting automatic, letting your hand off the MC, etc) and that they will "charge it to schoolcar"  and that the TA will be harder on you for making mistakes after probation because they would say "you should know better"  No one really ever elaborate what goes into play once you reach 1 year and 1 day.

It's not about failing or not making probation out of thinking negatively. It's the fact that things can go wrong and when they do they go wrong hard and fast. Not trying to scare anyone but when a customer does something stupid. If the powers that be judge you should have seen such stupidity you can lose your job, especially while on probation. It's a hard truth. Man with a bag holds the back slightly over the edge of the platform. Not enough to be concerned but just enough that the train will hit the bag. If you hit the bag that's a collision. If you say you didn't notice it but the investigation determines you should have, well......having a back up down here for situations like that is a huge plus. Just remember it's not all about school car. School car can teach you the basics, but they can't show you all the ridiculous things that happen on the road because those things are limitless in numbers.

A sad and dark reality with this job... Let's not forget some of these so called passengers cannot stand us.

They will take any chance to eff us over and flat out LIE....