Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not about failing or not making probation out of thinking negatively. It's the fact that things can go wrong and when they do they go wrong hard and fast. Not trying to scare anyone but when a customer does something stupid. If the powers that be judge you should have seen such stupidity you can lose your job, especially while on probation. It's a hard truth. Man with a bag holds the back slightly over the edge of the platform. Not enough to be concerned but just enough that the train will hit the bag. If you hit the bag that's a collision. If you say you didn't notice it but the investigation determines you should have, well......having a back up down here for situations like that is a huge plus. Just remember it's not all about school car. School car can teach you the basics, but they can't show you all the ridiculous things that happen on the road because those things are limitless in numbers.

So you mean to tell me that if some passenger decides to step over the warning line while I'm pulling into the station and their bag gets clipped, I'm at fault? ( or could be determined?)

So you mean to tell me that if some passenger decides to step over the warning line while I'm pulling into the station and their bag gets clipped, I'm at fault? ( or could be determined?)

If said bag bounces up and pops them in the face you could have a issue...

Lotta grey areas down here...

Edited by RTOMan

Did not get that far. They sent me the same paperwork as the first time for the drug test. Does this mean I should go down on the 2nd, take the drug test again and then from there explain things to them? I mean I have not filled out anything at 180 yet that has my pass number and

all that for the paperwork for T/O. When I went last time for the drug test I basically did the test for both positions on the same day.

You have to fill out the five page booklet again regardless. Just fill it out exactly as you did last time (hopefully you kept a copy) with any updates. There are a few questions that deal with status as a TA employee, just make sure you check those boxes this time, and let the person handling your file know your situation when you go down.

There are a lot of things that can happen down here when you are on your own, and having a title to go back to as insurance is a very nice luxury that shouldn't be overlooked. Losing a little seniority over it isn't a big deal. That way, should things not work out within the first year as a TO, you will be able to go back to conductor, and in response to another poster - yes, your seniority as a C/R will be restored to you, should that be the case, unless it is negotiated that you not receive it back as part of disciplinary proceedings.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I over heard a senior train operator telling a probationary guy that the union doesn't truly have your back until you reach 3 years in title.  I have no idea where he got 3 years from, I thought he was messing with the guy's head but he looked dead serious. He never elaborated why 3 years.

What exactly happens right after you finish probation. Are you suppose to have full union protection ?  During orientation they said yes we still represent you during probation. Others say no you are on your own during the first year. Then I hear people say its expected for you to make mistakes during your first year because its understandable (within reason obviously, like hitting automatic, letting your hand off the MC, etc) and that they will "charge it to schoolcar"  and that the TA will be harder on you for making mistakes after probation because they would say "you should know better"  No one really ever elaborate what goes into play once you reach 1 year and 1 day.

The Union represents you from the date you sign on with TA and begin having dues deducted from your paycheck.

A lot of people down here are disgruntled with the union, so there is a whole BS load of misinformation going around about what exactly the union does. You have to consider the source, there's a lot of hearsay and rumors and not all of it is even remotely based in fact.

The only thing being probationary means as it relates to discipline is this:

-You can be terminated ("fired") without a disciplinary hearing. Meaning you won't go down to labor relations...you belong to schoolcar, so schoolcar will handle any discipline or reinstruction as it relates to any incidents you have while on probation

-Certain no-nos are automatic dismissal (again "firing") - failing a drug or alcohol test is one - whereas a non-probationary employee would be able to go through the program (not an easy feat given how difficult it's made financially for people who fail drug/alcohol tests) and, upon completing the program satisfactorily within a reasonable time, be able to keep his/her job.

-Use of sick time is much more closely monitored, and usage patterns which may not flag a non probationary employee, will flag the probationary employee. Specifically, booking sick without doctor's lines is very heavily frowned upon, even in instances where they are not required.

List #258x, recieved second letter May 27th (checked mail box today)

Appntmnt for June 6th. This time the letter calls for D/T and hearing test.

What date was your original DT? I took mine Feb 28th. Ive been searching my mailbox for the golden ticket daily.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3rd Rail

What date was your original DT? I took mine Feb 28th. Ive been searching my mailbox for the golden ticket daily.

FEB 26th, WED

I spoke with miss shivers today i was told that the last appointed was 2409.

i was also told that they are going to start calling in a day or to for the june 30th class

Remember if you were on a hold and came off they may be past your number so you will be at the front of the list

Good luck everyone

I took my last DT in the beginning of February my list is 26## just hoping this will be last one before school car. I have that booklet filled out too I should give them that to. Who had to go on Friday?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Tapatalk

did anyone else get appointed today for june 30th?????

before anyone asks my number is 229x   i had a medical hold so that is a very low number

good luck everyone going for their medical in the next few days