Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess. It says " authorize the release to City of New York of ANY information required in order to establish my eligibility".

In my case it will include my military medical records as well.

I dont remember filling that out thats why..

Heck its been nearly 12 years i might have... :ph34r:

The background check also includes the release of past medical records. When you get your 21 page booklet read the release form you will have to sign..

Medical hold here I come....

Just had sinus surgery in April... and wisdom teeth extraction in June... With a history of HBP and asthma (under control, but can't put nothin' past those quacks it seems)...

No it really isn't. Depends on what type of job you are applying for and agency. Certain jobs have medical requirements that you must meet. That's why they have you sign a release form. The drug testing is also part of your medical records. So if you ever failed a drug test they will now. That's why they asked if you ever took or failed a DOT drug test. They can request those documents.

Edited by elantra06

Hey does any current T/O know if having sleep apnea is an automatic disqualifier

Yes you can be disquilied for that. Also they ask you if you snoore. You say Yes they going to want you to be tested for Sleep Apnea.

If they find out during your career they will restrict you until you are treated and conditions improve. Most Train Crew I know spend a average of 6 Months restricted.

I have over 20 years of work experience and don't recall exact dates on being hired. I went to social security to get an employment history but that only states the year that I worked at the companies that I worked for. Is the date a mandatory thing or will month and year suffice? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey meddicjh,regarding ss work history, why get all 16 years? I would guess that you know off hand your most recent years. I went to ss.gov with the idea of requesting a 23 year, and it dawned on me that i am well aware about the last 22. You may have your reasons just giving you a heads up. And to make others aware.

P.S. I was the guy at whiz quiz who kept trying to put my form through the non existent slit. Peace and hope to be working with you soon.

The background check also includes the release of past medical records. When you get your 21 page booklet read the release form you will have to sign..

I believe by law that form has to be a HIPPA form authorizing the release of medical records. That is the only acceptable form that can be used. The form we are signing is NOT a medical release, its for everything else that is required for the background check. This info is right on the governments website.

"An authorization is a detailed document that gives covered entities permission to use protected health information for specified purposes"

"An Authorization would be valid if it authorized the covered entity to use or disclose an "entire medical record" or "complete patient file." On the other hand, without further definition, an Authorization to use or disclose "all protected health information" might not be sufficiently specific, since protected health information encompasses a wider range of information than that which is typically understood to be included in the medical record, and individuals are less likely to understand the breadth of information that may be defined as "protected health information."

http://www.hhs.gov/h...aq/use/471.html

Edited by dagenius69

No it really isn't. Depends on what type of job you are applying for and agency. Certain jobs have medical requirements that you must meet. That's why they have you sign a release form. The drug testing is also part of your medical records. So if you ever failed a drug test they will now. That's why they asked if you ever took or failed a DOT drug test. They can request those documents.

Yes it is against the law, very much so. That is the purpose of the HIPAA law. If the job has a medical requirement, it is the duty of the employer to determine you meet those requirements by conducting their own medical exam. Thats why the MTA does their own medical. If that wasn't the case don't you think it would be cost effective to have a prospective employee just bring in their medical records from their own doctors and save the expense of doing a medical exam themselves. Problem is they can't because its against the law. As far as the drug test, its not part of your medical history. You signed a consent form for that specific purpose in your pre-employment paperwork that was handed in.

"An authorization is a detailed document that gives covered entities permission to use protected health information for specified purposes"

"An Authorization would be valid if it authorized the covered entity to use or disclose an "entire medical record" or "complete patient file."

furthermore, the MTA in NOT a "covered entity" eligible to use or disclose our medical records http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/HIPAA-Administrative-Simplification/HIPAAGenInfo/AreYouaCoveredEntity.html

furthermore, the MTA in NOT a "covered entity" eligible to use or disclose our medical records http://www.cms.gov/R...eredEntity.html

SAFETY SENSITIVE TITLE... Perhaps you missed that...

Heres a story a few years back during a pre employment medical from what i heard, they wanted to give a person (who was over 55) a EKG He refused and they put him on medical hold. He took the TA to court(age discrimination) and the court said that the TA COULD give him a EKG due to his age and applying for a safety sensitive title...

Thanks RTOMan and Snowblock. Some of this guys still quite don't understand the job title they are applying for will require the city to have a COMPLETE history (both medical and background) on them. They still don't realize that this isn't a private sector job they are applying too. I'm pretty sure if you have had any type of surgery in the past you can bet they will be requesting those records...

during a pre employment medical from what i heard, they wanted to give a person (who was over 55) a EKG He refused and they put him on medical hold. He took the TA to court(age discrimination) and the court said that the TA COULD give him a EKG due to his age and applying for a safety sensitive title...

Thank you for proving my point. The MTA was giving him the EKG they didn't ask to see his previous EKG. They can ask you to take any kind of medical test they want before they hire you because of the nature of the job. However they cannot obtain your medical HISTORY (records from your private doctors) without you signing a HIPAA release. That is the law!