Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ WestEndMan don't be nervous, you'll be fine. I was there yesterday in at 7am out by 10am. I spent most of the time waiting for them to call my number to send me to the back, once they called me I was out in less than 10 mins.

Everything will be fine. Very well organized considering how many people they process a day..... you come in, get your number, will be called to make a line, get your papers (few of them), then will be called again to return your papers, after that will be send to take D/T, come back, tell them you took your D/T. Wait for another letter or the call after that.

Should be out by 10AM. They work fast, good and professional people, no complaints. They will help you with any question you have.

I know I'm only going for my DT tomorrow, but man I'm nervous.

Don't be nervous. If you know you are clean, there is nothing to worry about. It's an easy 10 panel DOT drug test. This will be your first of many visits to 180. Words of advice: GET. THERE. EARLY. Like 6:45 early so you can be the first one to get a ticket. Every time i've been I got A103, which means I was the 3rd person seen for drug test. Even with that, I was still out of there around 10:45. I can't imagine those people who actually showed up at 7:30, they must be there all day.

I got my letter smile.gif I go on june 20 730am list 30xx, I am nervous about the hearing test. I have a problem with my right ear I can hear from it but its not as good as the left, how long does it usually take from the first drug test to final processing?

Allday, 3 months waiting since your initial drug test?

no, I have a case that is pending it needs to be dismissed before I can going for my drug test. One of those stay out of trouble for six-month and your record gets sealed type of thing.

I got my letter smile.gif I go on june 20 730am list 30xx, I am nervous about the hearing test. I have a problem with my right ear I can hear from it but its not as good as the left, how long does it usually take from the first drug test to final processing?

For me it was:

Initial Letter for 1st D/T: 2/14

Second D/T: 6/4

Med/Final Processing: 6/16

List # 251x

If you have an Iphone (not sure about Android) there are some free hearing apps you can download to test youself. I would make sure you have some beats by dre or bose like headphones and sit in a quiet room. You must have an average hearing loss, in one ear, less than or equal to 40 decibels (dB).

Edit: I'd also get a physical if you have health insurance, or go to a Minute clinic and get one done there for about $80 if you don't. Also, get some urinalyisis strips off Amazon, and test your urine for blood, sugar and protein. You want NO suprises on the medical. Blood pressure must be below 140/90 and the eyes must be 20/40.

Edited by AAnxious

I know I'll be fine, medically, I'm good, physically good, it's just the waiting for so long & finally the process has begun gives me the nervous jitters. As far as getting there early, got that covered. I work nights in lower Manhattan & will be leaving early to get there early. My boss is very supportive.

Edited by WestEndMan

Everything will be fine. Very well organized considering how many people they process a day..... you come in, get your number, will be called to make a line, get your papers (few of them), then will be called again to return your papers, after that will be send to take D/T, come back, tell them you took your D/T. Wait for another letter or the call after that.

Should be out by 10AM. They work fast, good and professional people, no complaints. They will help you with any question you have.

It's been a minute since I last posted here. I went down to 180 this morning and I'm glad I monitored this thread first.

I got there at 6:30am, got my number and everything went like LeonDoub described above. After the DT, they said

everything will be a phone call anywhere from 2 to 90 days from now.

Good luck to everyone waiting. I was just in your shoes less than a month ago. But trust me once you start .... Things begin to move very fast. Tons of stuff to learn from the ground up. It's definitely been a ride so far. Just keep this in mind from right now.... "TRAIN OPERATOR" does not mean that all you need to do is operate the train. Be prepared to learn this job. It's much more than just operating trains. Have an open mind. And forget everything you thought you knew or heard about this job.

Good luck to everyone waiting. I was just in your shoes less than a month ago. But trust me once you start .... Things begin to move very fast. Tons of stuff to learn from the ground up. It's definitely been a ride so far. Just keep this in mind from right now.... "TRAIN OPERATOR" does not mean that all you need to do is operate the train. Be prepared to learn this job. It's much more than just operating trains. Have an open mind. And forget everything you thought you knew or heard about this job.

Hey Mard, What's up. That's absolutely correct. You are so busy when you start school car your life is pretty much working, studying, sleeping, and traveling. Almost 5 hours of my day is spent traveling because I'm in the A division and live in Brooklyn having to go to the last stop in the Bronx is no joke. But I don't mind because I love it already. School car is rough. The TSS's will sometimes put brake your chops if you get an answer wrong, or operate incorrectly.

Good luck to all hopefuls.

@ Nard & Brown Hornet. You guys have been kinda quiet. Ya'll good?
@Allday Yeah we're good. It's getting hectic now for me, my class has midterms, yard practical, and signals exam coming up. So it's just study, study, study. It's myself and depmaze in the same class. Mard is probably 2-3 weeks in. So it's stepping up for him.
Good luck to everyone waiting. I was just in your shoes less than a month ago. But trust me once you start .... Things begin to move very fast. Tons of stuff to learn from the ground up. It's definitely been a ride so far. Just keep this in mind from right now.... "TRAIN OPERATOR" does not mean that all you need to do is operate the train. Be prepared to learn this job. It's much more than just operating trains. Have an open mind. And forget everything you thought you knew or heard about this job.Hey Mard, What's up. That's absolutely correct. You are so busy when you start school car your life is pretty much working, studying, sleeping, and traveling. Almost 5 hours of my day is spent traveling because I'm in the A division and live in Brooklyn having to go to the last stop in the Bronx is no joke. But I don't mind because I love it already. School car is rough. The TSS's will sometimes put brake your chops if you get an answer wrong, or operate incorrectly. Good luck to all hopefuls.
^^what he said^^ That's my classmate. And he's 100% correct. Especially with those hand brake genies!!! @depmaze ????????

Ok, 1st update. Everyone here including myself, are dressed like professionals. Wearing Jeans, sneakers & a t-shirt makes you stand out.

^^What he said^^ Do yourselves a favor, and dress business casual. Don't look like a fool. People pay attention to that. And good luck.

I just hope some of you folks are more hungry that the ones before you.. Smh....

Talk about Constant whining and entitlement attitudes, its disgusting.

^^What he said^^ Do yourselves a favor, and dress business casual. Don't look like a fool. People pay attention to that. And good luck.

there's a reason why your application says dress business casual. Treat this process for what it is, a job interview! It's the first step in following orders and directions. And like Brownhornet said, they do pay attention.

^^What he said^^ Do yourselves a favor, and dress business casual. Don't look like a fool. People pay attention to that. And good luck. there's a reason why your application says dress business casual. Treat this process for what it is, a job interview! It's the first step in following orders and directions. And like Brownhornet said, they do pay attention.
@Allday EXACTLY!!!!! Follow direction!!!!!
Good luck to everyone waiting. I was just in your shoes less than a month ago. But trust me once you start .... Things begin to move very fast. Tons of stuff to learn from the ground up. It's definitely been a ride so far. Just keep this in mind from right now.... "TRAIN OPERATOR" does not mean that all you need to do is operate the train. Be prepared to learn this job. It's much more than just operating trains. Have an open mind. And forget everything you thought you knew or heard about this job. I just hope some of you folks are more hungry that the ones before you.. Smh.... Talk about Constant whining and entitlement attitudes, its disgusting.
One thing I hate, is people with entitlement attitudes!!!! No one owes you shit!!!! ???????? Humility, and accountability are very rare traits now a days!!!

I just hope some of you folks are more hungry that the ones before you.. Smh....

Talk about Constant whining and entitlement attitudes, its disgusting.

I'm starving!! Forget hungry!! I'm always pushing everyone to do better. Challenging them with questions while we are on breaks. Making the class competitive so that everyone stays on their toes. People get discouraged quickly once they realize how much we need to study and know. The weak get sorted out very quickly. TSS's know immediately who are the weak links. Especially when it comes to flowing instructions. No one will hold your hand. From the interview process down to operating.

CYA

CONSIDER

YOURSELF

ACCOUNTABLE