Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Thanks for the info. Grey.

I've done this for other background investigations in the past.

Just take your time and do your best.

If you've been around for a while it's impossible to answer everything perfectly.

The SS employment history printout is helpful so that you don't forget/omit any employment that's on the books (you paid taxes).

Some of those employers will have moved or gone out of business by now.

And if you were fired from a job, tell them that.

Most of us have been fired. It happens.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For pre interview & medical

I was there today, I believe I got called due to being a veteran and receiving credit . That's the only thing I can think of, I did the lab and got the 21 page booklet. How long do you think before I'm called again? Is there a second drug or medical test?

I was there today, I believe I got called due to being a veteran and receiving credit . That's the only thing I can think of, I did the lab and got the 21 page booklet. How long do you think before I'm called again? Is there a second drug or medical test?

Some ppl had to retake the DT because the 3 months had past. When they call you for the medical then you know you made it to the last step

Some ppl had to retake the DT because the 3 months had past. When they call you for the medical then you know you made it to the last step

After urine test is there one more drug test? Would that be the last one?

Well i took my first DT in FEB. but my list number never came up #260!. So i had to go back again on 6/6 to retake the DT again because it had expired. 

1st Drug test when called, then if they don't call you again within 90 days, you have to take a second drug test. During medical there is another urine test done on site to test for protein, blood and sugar in urine.

This week - no calls.

I think we are looking at July, I would say another 2-3 weeks.

I read this forum since 2012, it happened to others before, 4-5 weeks after the second DT.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Was there any movement for the week? LeonDoub, Hopeful TO and 3rd Rail, did you'll get a phone call?

Nothing yet but i was thinking it would be in July anyway. I hope we all get a call in the next few weeks. Does anyone know if the class in July is in the middle of the month?

So how many train operators does the MTA employ and on average how many people that start schoolcar pass? Also on average how long does it take from the initial drug test to just making it into schoolcar (assuming there are no holds)? Am I looking at another year+ wait? I've only just recently taken the DT. I'm also super curious if there is a high turn over and why. Given the benefits of the job, financially and actual benefits. I would figure once you are in you would hold on for as long as you can.  

Edited by KenHeines

So how many train operators does the MTA employ and on average how many people that start schoolcar pass? Also on average how long does it take from the initial drug test to just making it into schoolcar (assuming there are no holds)? Am I looking at another year+ wait? I've only just recently taken the DT. I'm also super curious if there is a high turn over and why. Given the benefits of the job, financially and actual benefits. I would figure once you are in you would hold on for as long as you can.

That kind of info you are more likely to get from human resources than here. Everybody it can differ for ,I took the first open competitive test in January of 2000. By October 2001 I was being sworn in. My list number was 788. Edited by RTOMan

Great questions, Ken. I'm curious about the same things. I read somewhere recently that the MTA has 3x bus operators compared to train operators, roughly 4000 train operators compared to 12000 bus drivers.

I've also sat for the bus operator exam, and in the forums they discuss a 25-35% failure rate in the 10-day driving course (lots of variation in each class).

I've never heard anything about what percentage of people fail school car, though.

I was wondering if the MTA can help with taking a day off from a current job. Being I had the letter the last time, boss was supportive. He's still supportive, but HIS boss can be a real stickler for taking days off to attend things that are for another job. I work nights so going to my initial DT had me leaving early......no biggie. I would want a good night sleep when/if they call me to come back for the medical, processing.

I went in for the pre-exam (drug test) today and just got the 21 page booklet. I was curious how much of a stickler are they with dates. I have a rough idea of the dates I've worked and was unemployed, but I may be off by a month or two. Not to mention most of the places I've worked my supervisors at the time no longer work there now. Also what effect does having special skills and abilities, speaking a second language have on being chosen? I'm mean if everything is in order, could I still lose out a spot to a Polygot, computer programmer? Or am I just over thinking things. I just don't want to lose out on a great opportunity just because I said that I left a job in March of '05 when it was really April '05. 

You are over thinking things. Your computer programming skills or multiple languages or whatever special skills won't make a difference when applying to this job. They look for what is stated on the NOE as far as getting your foot in the door.

Once you are in however, they encourage you to move up or around quickly before settling at a position. Those special skills you listed will be factored in when it comes to that. Also the union offers free classes for transit employees so you can expand those skills once here.

Everybody's tax situation is different, maybe you need to clarify your question.

I don't see how asking someone to post what they've  make in school car after taxes is such a difficult question. Other people have asked in this thread and no one has offered that information, like it's some huge secret.