Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how asking someone to post what they've make in school car after taxes is such a difficult question. Other people have asked in this thread and no one has offered that information, like it's some huge secret.

I didn't say they couldn't post it right?

Never said it was difficult I just asked for clarification.

I also said everybody tax situation is different meaning it's not just 1500 bucks either.

See part of this job is paying attention to what is said to you.

So you won't misunderstand and put the wrong things on a G2 or,if RCC asks you a question on the phone or radio(which are recorded btw).

Remember that bit of advice. Quite a few new folks are getting tripped up just on that alone. Which is a shame.

Edited by RTOMan

I didn't say they couldn't post it right?

Never said it was difficult I just asked for clarification.

I also said everybody tax situation is different meaning it's not just 1500 bucks either.

See part of this job is paying attention to what is said to you.

So you won't misunderstand and put the wrong things on a G2 or,if RCC asks you a question on the phone or radio(which are recorded btw).

Remember that bit of advice. Quite a few new folks are getting tripped up just on that alone. Which is a shame.

Lets get a few things straight:

1. I never said that YOU said that they couldn't post it. Re-read the original post. Misunderstanding #1.

2. Clarification means that you are having a hard time understanding what was said, which can be understood as being a difficult. Mard answered my question, without all the nonsene you are communicating, so apparently it didn't need to be "clarified". I also never asked for a specific tax bracket, I was looking for a ball park figure, as some people may not want to disclose that information.

3. While sometimes you offer a wealth of information, you come off as being a bit of a deutxbag. I pray to god I don't run into you underground.

4. Nobody asked you to chime in about G2's or what RCC does, that has NOTHING to do with the question I asked. You are drawing way too many conclusions from a generic question, and appear to lump all newbies into one pot. I don't know you from a can of corn, so who are you to make the assumption that I wouldn't know how to understand potential orders given from superiors based on what others are failing to do?

5. Unless you are in schoolcar, I'm not even talking to you, so why reply?

Edited by AAnxious

Guys chill... Lol.. Example: See how a fight can start with "A QUESTION" being asked. You both meant well, just a big misunderstanding. Squash the matter....

It's not a misunderstanding. This dude has a habit of offering unsolicited douche sprinkled, troll like advice and opinions when no one asked for it. He also likes to put all the newbies in one block, like we're all incapable of reading comprehension. It's not the first time. and I'm sure it won't be the last.

It's not a misunderstanding. This dude has a habit of offering unsolicited douche sprinkled, troll like advice and opinions when no one asked for it. He also likes to put all the newbies in one block, like we're all incapable of reading comprehension. It's not the first time. and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Open Competitive Train Operator from Off the street got the job 2001 so nahh i have no idea what im talking about...

You seem to be another sensitive One you'll do fine down here too since i didn't even insult you yet here you go with the insults.

All i was doing was giving advice nothing more.

Uh and as for the newbie Nonsense i have quiet a few Friends who came from off the street who actually post here so your Point means not a damn thing....

Oh and for that pray you dont run into me underground, unless you are in the B Div you wont and if you do So what?

Another One im done with Smh.....

Read both the origina text and reply.... Eh, could be taken either way but no need to continue the back & forth. Question was answered so let's move on.

Im not even stressing it i said what i had to say.... 

Guys chill... Lol.. Example: See how a fight can start with "A QUESTION" being asked. You both meant well, just a big misunderstanding. Squash the matter....

Im Good hes the one going off on a tangent...

Edited by RTOMan

The reason most of the employees (including RTOman) post here is to HELP the new people.

There is an expression that has been used for a very long time in transit when it comes to the new people: EACH ONE TEACH ONE

Many of us believe in that.

I assume you are new to schoolcar since you're asking about the check - and therefore haven't received the first one yet, so I'm going to give you a good bit of friendly advice. As you go through schoolcar, much of what is taught will be based off of things that have happened down here over the years. Many have involved probationary employees and they serve as a cautionary tale since many of them are no longer with Transit. So the employees that post here do so with the intent of helping new people AVOID the pitfalls that so many fall into very early on. The fact that these incidents keep happening year after year despite all the awareness of them is proof positive that new people are not "above" the pitfalls. But as you will see, neither are senior men and women either. It's not easy coming from "off the street" into any RTO title, and being humble works. The whole "I got this" thing and having attitude seems to work great until one day it doesn't...trust me I've seen it blow up in some people's faces.

Not all of the pitfalls are job related. One of the worst is people living above their means, so it's completely understandable someone may not want to mislead you about how much money you'll actually be taking home. There are numerous people down here who have ZERO life beyond work because they have to work every single RDO they can, constantly work late clears, play every trick in the book to get as much overtime as possible, and pick 10 hour penalty jobs just to make ends meet...yet they still can't, and their take home is almost nothing.

During schoolcar you will gross approximately $30.03 x 40 hours per week = a little over $1200 a week x 2 weeks = $2400 gross approx. per check. You will not get overtime or late clears during schoolcar, nor will you be eligible to work your RDOs (regular days off), which during schoolcar will be Sunday/Saturday. You will have taxes come out, any contributions that you make pre or post tax to the 401k plan or 457 plan if you enrolled, or any other plans like life insurance or extra disability insurance (if you signed up for Aflac). You will also have $27.06 come out per check until the raise goes into effect for union dues, 1.5% comes out for healthcare, and a percentage (I don't know the number for tier 6) will come out for your pension contribution as well. If you're paying alimony or child support, that comes out too. Whatever's left after that is yours. Good luck and keep an open mind.

Edited by SubwayGuy

That's a very good post Subway Guy :)

This isnt SubChat where NON RTO folks are there trolling and acting like they know everything..

You wanna see douchebaggery? Go over there that's another reason why Most of us do not post there any more...

At least here RTO folks want to help, as well as post here.

The reason most of the employees (including RTOman) post here is to HELP the new people.

There is an expression that has been used for a very long time in transit when it comes to the new people: EACH ONE TEACH ONE

I assume you are new to schoolcar since you're asking about the check - and therefore haven't received the first one yet, so I'm going to give you a good bit of friendly advice. As you go through schoolcar, much of what is taught will be based off of things that have happened down here over the years. Many have involved probationary employees and they serve as a cautionary tale since many of them are no longer with Transit. So the employees that post here do so with the intent of helping new people AVOID the pitfalls that so many fall into very early on. The fact that these incidents keep happening year after year despite all the awareness of them is proof positive that new people are not "above" the pitfalls. But as you will see, neither are senior men and women either. It's not easy coming from "off the street" into any RTO title, and being humble works. The whole "I got this" thing and having attitude seems to work great until one day it doesn't...trust me I've seen it blow up in some people's faces.

Not all of the pitfalls are job related. One of the worst is people living above their means, so it's completely understandable someone may not want to mislead you about how much money you'll actually be taking home. There are numerous people down here who have ZERO life beyond work because they have to work every single RDO they can, constantly work late clears, play every trick in the book to get as much overtime as possible, and pick 10 hour penalty jobs just to make ends meet...yet they still can't, and their take home is almost nothing.

During schoolcar you will gross approximately $30.03 x 40 hours per week = a little over $1200 a week x 2 weeks = $2400 gross approx. per check. You will not get overtime or late clears during schoolcar, nor will you be eligible to work your RDOs (regular days off), which during schoolcar will be Sunday/Saturday. You will have taxes come out, any contributions that you make pre or post tax to the 401k plan or 457 plan if you enrolled, or any other plans like life insurance or extra disability insurance (if you signed up for Aflac). You will also have $27.06 come out per check until the raise goes into effect for union dues, 1.5% comes out for healthcare, and a percentage (I don't know the number for tier 6) will come out for your pension contribution as well. If you're paying alimony or child support, that comes out too. Whatever's left after that is yours. Good luck and keep an open mind.

Thats how you give advice.

Thank You.

Hello to all!

First time here. I received my first letter and went to Livingston St to take my drug test. When I get the call for medical what questions are asked verbally or on paper and what in the physical exam is checked example EKG...

Thanks,

VinnySea

Hello to all!

First time here. I received my first letter and went to Livingston St to take my drug test. When I get the call for medical what questions are asked verbally or on paper and what in the physical exam is checked example EKG...

Thanks,

VinnySea

There is a questionnaire of about 50 questions. Do you smoke, drink, had a seizure, an STD, etc. 

Physical exam is Hearing, Vision, Blood Pressure, EKG, Urine for protein, sugar and blood.

Thats how you give advice.

Thank You.

Like I said before it's roughly 1500 if you claim 0 dependents. That includes union dues and medical contributions for 40 hours of pay. 1500 and change ballpark after taxes. A few of my classmates have many dependents. They said their check was in the 1800 range after taxes. As for what RTOPRO said he's right though. Many factors will play a part in how much you will get. If you elect 401k or disability or many other deductions that electives can change that number. I personally file 1 dependent and only have union dues and medical contribution coming out of my check. I also have a PM tour for school car so I average around 50 hours of night diff Every two weeks. My take home after all that is 1641. A check. So you could either round up or down based on your own personal preference based on what you will elect. Hope that helped clarify things a bit more.

What's the word on this next class???? This forum dies so quick.

I hear that. That's where I am as well. Hoping to get word in the next few months that I can start the process of being hired at transit.

Roughly how many people are in a school car class?

My group was 40 train ops and 60 conductors. They break us up after orientation into classes of 10. Either A div or B div. you could get PM OR AM tour as well.

Like I said before it's roughly 1500 if you claim 0 dependents. That includes union dues and medical contributions for 40 hours of pay. 1500 and change ballpark after taxes. A few of my classmates have many dependents. They said their check was in the 1800 range after taxes. As for what RTOPRO said he's right though. Many factors will play a part in how much you will get. If you elect 401k or disability or many other deductions that electives can change that number. I personally file 1 dependent and only have union dues and medical contribution coming out of my check. I also have a PM tour for school car so I average around 50 hours of night diff Every two weeks. My take home after all that is 1641. A check. So you could either round up or down based on your own personal preference based on what you will elect. Hope that helped clarify things a bit more.

Thanks again.

Did you take your signal exam yet?

Since 6/30 is coming up & those classes are filled. July class is next. Anyone waiting for the call, let us know when you get it & your list #. I went on 6/12 for the DT & 21 page booklet & hoping to get a call soon for the July class. If not hopefully the Aug. class.

Hello to all!

Thanks,

VinnySea

Welcome to this wild and informative forum. What is your list # range??

Welcome to this wild and informative forum. What is your list # range??

Thanks trainman! My list range is high 28xx.

There is a questionnaire of about 50 questions. Do you smoke, drink, had a seizure, an STD, etc. 

Physical exam is Hearing, Vision, Blood Pressure, EKG, Urine for protein, sugar and blood.

Thanks AAnxious! Do they ask about surgeries or any other diseases?

Thanks trainman! My list range is high 28xx.

Thanks AAnxious! Do they ask about surgeries or any other diseases?

Surgeries. You bet. Every question imaginable will be asked. 

Get a full physical if you have insurance. If you don't, make sure you know your BP numbers (drug stores have machines in the pharmacy departments), go get an eye exam (cohens has them for $20), a hearing test would help, (there are Ipad apps for this) and test your urine with strips if you can (for blood, protein and sugar.) Those are the main things that get people put on hold.