Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Thanks trainman! My list range is high 28xx.

Thanks AAnxious! Do they ask about surgeries or any other diseases?

Surgeries. You bet. Every question imaginable will be asked. 

Get a full physical if you have insurance. If you don't, make sure you know your BP numbers (drug stores have machines in the pharmacy departments), go get an eye exam (cohens has them for $20), a hearing test would help, (there are Ipad apps for this) and test your urine with strips if you can (for blood, protein and sugar.) Those are the main things that get people put on hold.

^^What he said^^ 100% True!!!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@vinny If you had surgery like i did make sure you get a letter off medical clearance before final processing that what i did nd i didnt have to be in medical hold. Just go in relax and prepare.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

@vinny If you had surgery like i did make sure you get a letter off medical clearance before final processing that what i did nd i didnt have to be in medical hold. Just go in relax and prepare. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

R160RR, thanks for the advice! Very helpful and appreciated!

Thanks Brownhornet78!

Yes they do ask heck they even ask if you ever had a sexually transmitted one....

Thank you RTOMan!

FYI the raise will be going into effect before the next pay period, so healthcare contributions will increase from 1.5% to 2.0%, and union dues will also increase (I don't know the final number but the percentage of base pay is still the same). Raises from the current contract will also be factored in, although I'm not sure how this will affect employees not yet at top pay, as I don't have the incremental increases in rates at my fingertips.

quote name="Grey" post="778565" timestamp="1403882358"]Good luck to everyone starting school car on Monday!!! Keep us posted on your progress...

Dude, go here & read from page one. You'll learn alot as to what ppl experience & the different reactions to those experiences.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/38133-the-schoolcar-experience/page-138

@vinny If you had surgery like i did make sure you get a letter off medical clearance before final processing that what i did nd i didnt have to be in medical hold. Just go in relax and prepare. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

R160RR, thanks for the advice! Very helpful and appreciated!

Thanks Brownhornet78!

Yes they do ask heck they even ask if you ever had a sexually transmitted one....

Thank you RTOMan!

No prob.

Congrats to all who passed their signal exam & TY to all who have been keeping us who are waiting, informed as to what to expect. Truly is a team effort....before, during, & after the training.

Thank you my brother!!! And it IS a team effort!! Especially studying with your classmates. There is no competition! You guys are all in the same boat!! Good luck my brother!!!!

Thank you my brother!!! And it IS a team effort!! Especially studying with your classmates. There is no competition! You guys are all in the same boat!! Good luck my brother!!!!

So yer gonna be yard posting soon great! Then the YX fun begins.... :)

So yer gonna be yard posting soon great! Then the YX fun begins.... :)

@RTOman Yessir lol, but we still have our second yard practical to do. Prepping for service, and BP rupture. Just a lot more steps than prepping for yard movement

@RTOman Yessir lol, but we still have our second yard practical to do. Prepping for service, and BP rupture. Just a lot more steps than prepping for yard movement

It seems like a lot on paper but in actuality its just a few extra minutes in your checking the train.  It will also depend on the equipment you get.  Where is your practical gonna be? Mine was in Jamaica Yard

It seems like a lot on paper but in actuality its just a few extra minutes in your checking the train.  It will also depend on the equipment you get.  Where is your practical gonna be? Mine was in Jamaica Yard

Lavonia... Smee equipment, that means I gotta topside that beotch!!

Lavonia... Smee equipment, that means I gotta topside that beotch!!

Oh you in A Division lol.  Nice! How you like the R142s?  I got a huge curiosity for em now that i got to play with the controller for one in the simulator

Actually the one in the SIM is R160. The master controller on the 160's are all the way in the right, next to the cab window. The 142-142A's the master controller is in the middle of the console

Actually the one in the SIM is R160. The master controller on the 160's are all the way in the right, next to the cab window. The 142-142A's the master controller is in the middle of the console

I know.  The first time i was in the sim the 160 was broken so they put us on the 142 simulator for the 7 line.  That's why i said I was curiosity.  I like that the master is in the middle.

I know.  The first time i was in the sim the 160 was broken so they put us on the 142 simulator for the 7 line.  That's why i said I was curiosity.  I like that the master is in the middle.

Yeah the controller in the middle is cool, you could rock that beotch with either hand!!! And the 7 line is getting 188's the master controller is more to the right, but still on the console. A lil updated twist type version. Kawasaki makes those, and they're converting some 142A's into 188. So the 6 line gets back those 62A's again.

Nice.  It's definitely got me curious about the A division.  But that wont be for some time for me.

Man I wanted the B but oh well, I'll rock out in the A for a while, then I'll take it from there when I get enough seniority to pick. But I'm happy anyway!!!

The R142/A is a far superior design in terms of crew comfort than the R-160.

-The controller handle is in the middle, so you can operate with either hand, or alternate to give your hand muscles a break.

-The R-142/A cab window has a single latch so it is possible to reach up with one hand and open the window, while the R-160 has two latches so you will need both hands free at the same time to open the window (such as to punch).

-The console has a flat surface to it, so if you take notes while you operate, when stopped in a station, you have a flat surface to write on (many TO's do this, to note abnormalities that occur during the run, or reasons for delays so they know how to answer if asked where they lost their time).

-The air gauge is located on the console where it is easily seen, rather than way up over your head.

-It is possible to synchronize announcements or reprogram a route while moving or between stations on an R-142/A but not on an R-160.

-It is possible to knock out the last stop from a program if terminating at a station not normally used as a terminal on the R-142/A, which allows you to get the side signs to display the proper terminal in the event of an exotic General Order or service disruption (such as a (6) to 86 St.). The R-160 does not allow dropping out of the last stop.

As for controller handles, the R-188 is worst of all as it is on the right hand side, and the armrest has been modified so there's no support when operating in MAX POWER. And the cutout on one side means that since you can really only turn it one way, it prevents you from easily using your opposite thumb to hold the controller down to give your hand a break.