Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

The R142/A is a far superior design in terms of crew comfort than the R-160.

-The controller handle is in the middle, so you can operate with either hand, or alternate to give your hand muscles a break.

-The R-142/A cab window has a single latch so it is possible to reach up with one hand and open the window, while the R-160 has two latches so you will need both hands free at the same time to open the window (such as to punch).

-The console has a flat surface to it, so if you take notes while you operate, when stopped in a station, you have a flat surface to write on (many TO's do this, to note abnormalities that occur during the run, or reasons for delays so they know how to answer if asked where they lost their time).

-The air gauge is located on the console where it is easily seen, rather than way up over your head.

-It is possible to synchronize announcements or reprogram a route while moving or between stations on an R-142/A but not on an R-160.

-It is possible to knock out the last stop from a program if terminating at a station not normally used as a terminal on the R-142/A, which allows you to get the side signs to display the proper terminal in the event of an exotic General Order or service disruption (such as a (6) to 86 St.). The R-160 does not allow dropping out of the last stop.

As for controller handles, the R-188 is worst of all as it is on the right hand side, and the armrest has been modified so there's no support when operating in MAX POWER. And the cutout on one side means that since you can really only turn it one way, it prevents you from easily using your opposite thumb to hold the controller down to give your hand a break.

Very true! But I didn't know the 160's weren't too comfortable as far as design. I thought being that they were updated new techs. It would've been a lot better to operate. Wow!!!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, you just reminded me why the 142A is my favorite equipment to operate. I'm thinking about submitting a G2 to go back to the A now....

The 142/A is also the only equipment in the active fleet which has a left side cab window. So when you got a TSS or a student riding with you, they don't have to be right on top of you if observing the road.

Also the thing I hate the most about the R160s is they have the slowest door motors of the entire fleet. The 142/A/3 doors are excellent.

Edited by Snowblock

Man, you just reminded me why the 142A is my favorite equipment to operate. I'm thinking about submitting a G2 to go back to the A now....

The 142/A is also the only equipment in the active fleet which has a left side cab window. So when you got a TSS or a student riding with you, they don't have to be right on top of you if observing the road.

Also the thing I hate the most about the R160s is they have the slowest door motors of the entire fleet. The 142/A/3 doors are excellent.

???????????? I guess the 160's doors are slower is because they used the vapor system. Wow I never realized how many people liked the 142/A's. But you know you have those crap talkers. A division (play division) you trains, blah, blah, blah. So was under the impression that no B division T/O would like the 142/A's

Does anyone have the link for the "last hired" for this exam? I tried searching on google and on the DCAS website without success.

I'm trying to track how hiring is proceeding without being a pain to those on the board (or people at transit, if I can just as easily get the same info online).

Thanks.

Any word from the guys who started today? Or are they now going to switch over to the other forum?

If you are referring to the crew room nothing is stopping them from posting here most of us still do. I can SAY this (yes I put it in capitals especially the new folks). There are things NOT meant to be talked about in a public forum,that's why the crew room is there.

That's why Facebook has private RTO groups as well. If one feels the need to share something with someone that's what private messages is for one can use that.

That's another reason I feel most of us left subchat things pop off and all the haters and Arm chair wannabe RTO folks start chiming in.

Not knowing a thing that's going on.

If you are referring to the crew room nothing is stopping them from posting here most of us still do. I can SAY this (yes I put it in capitals especially the new folks). There are things NOT meant to be talked about in a public forum,that's why the crew room is there.

That's why Facebook has private RTO groups as well. If one feels the need to share something with someone that's what private messages is for one can use that.

That's another reason I feel most of us left subchat things pop off and all the haters and Arm chair wannabe RTO folks start chiming in.

Whoa, all I wanted to know is HOW THEIR 1st DAY WENT!. I'm not asking for the secrets that are behind closed doors. Relax.

Whoa, all I wanted to know is HOW THEIR 1st DAY WENT!. I'm not asking for the secrets that are behind closed doors. Relax.

????????????

Relax??? I just made a statement please don't read too much into what I'm saying...

You sated the "other place" that's all hence my reply...

This job makes you relax! I'm having a blast 12 years and I laugh when I see my paycheck... Easy money..

If anything maybe some of these YX folk need to relax scared to move a train to the yard... They gotta pay folks OT to do stuff cause some of these new jacks scared...

Exactly I found that most amusing my self had to stop laughing in Oder to post.. :D Edited by RTOMan

Relax??? I just made a statement please don't read too much into what I'm saying...

This job makes you relax! I'm having a blast 12 years and I laugh when I see my paycheck... Easy money..

If anything maybe some of these YX folk need to relax scared to move a train to the yard... They gotta pay folks OT to do stuff cause some of these new jacks scared...

Exactly I found that most amusing my self had to stop laughing in Oder to post.. :D

RTOMan, maybe you're too real and str8fwd for some of these guys. A lot of what you post is taken out of contex when it shouldn't be.

Whoa, all I wanted to know is HOW THEIR 1st DAY WENT!. I'm not asking for the secrets that are behind closed doors. Relax.Relax??? I just made a statement please don't read too much into what I'm saying...

Exactly I found that most amusing my self had to stop laughing in Oder to post.. :D

???????????? @RTOman. Hey I'm a newbie, please let me know why fellow newbies afraid to make a yard move? I'm not posting yet. Just curious.

???????????? @RTOman. Hey I'm a newbie, please let me know why fellow newbies afraid to make a yard move? I'm not posting yet. Just curious.

Brother that's a question a lot of us are asking each other hey learn the job move the train we all make mistakes. I wish We had YX back in 2001 when I started .. I prayed for yd a d switching jobs! All 95 percent of the new TOs pounded the road.

Brother that's a question a lot of us are asking each other hey learn the job move the train we all make mistakes. I wish We had YX back in 2001 when I started .. I prayed for yd a d switching jobs! All 95 percent of the new TOs pounded the road.

@RTOman.... Ok thank you I'm just gonna make it do what it do!!!!

Exactly I found that most amusing my self had to stop laughing in Oder to post.. :DRTOMan, maybe you're too real and str8fwd for some of these guys. A lot of what you post is taken out of contex when it shouldn't be.

Hey thanks i appreciate that statement. That's how I am I can't help that now I can be sarcastic at times yes but the thing is I'm this way in person cool calm yet real.. I'm always willing to help folks but if you want sugar coated stuff I'm not the one .. this job is fun but Stuff needs to be real at times. Some folks think Im bad smh wait till they get a load of some supervision and managers down here.... A few folks here who met me in person sees its nothing different. It is what it is..

@RTOman.... Ok thank you I'm just gonna make it do what it do!!!!

You are hungry like some folks I see here and like a lot of us was.. You will do fine!

Exactly I found that most amusing my self had to stop laughing in Oder to post.. :DRTOMan, maybe you're too real and str8fwd for some of these guys. A lot of what you post is taken out of contex when it shouldn't be.

Hey thanks i appreciate that statement. That's how I am I can't help that now I can be sarcastic at times yes but the thing is I'm this way in person cool calm yet real.. I'm always willing to help folks but if you want sugar coated stuff I'm not the one .. this job is fun but Stuff needs to be real at times. Some folks think Im bad smh wait till they get a load of some supervision and managers down here.... A few folks here who met me in person sees its nothing different. It is what it is.. @RTOman.... Ok thank you I'm just gonna make it do what it do!!!!

You are hungry like some folks I see here and like a lot of us was.. You will do fine!

@RTOman First off..... I'm a buff, secondly I've wanted this job so bad I can taste it!!!! Simply put... My ribs is touching!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have the link for the "last hired" for this exam? I tried searching on google and on the DCAS website without success.

I'm trying to track how hiring is proceeding without being a pain to those on the board (or people at transit, if I can just as easily get the same info online).

Thanks.t

The last hired for the June class was in the late 2500's this coming from Ms. Shivers.  So the next hires will be from that point on  and not counting who ever is coming of medical hold. Hope that helps.  

@RTOman First off..... I'm a buff, secondly I've wanted this job so bad I can taste it!!!! Simply put... My ribs is touching!!!!!!!!

Hello one buff says to the other!!!! LMAO @ ribs touching!!!!

Yeah RTOman I agree you can have fun with the job. However got to be on point at all times. Its too crazy the simple stuff I deal with the supt tries to turn it into a bigger problem.

Yeah Dave I feel that bro lotta stuff going on folks with issues...

Hello one buff says to the other!!!! LMAO @ ribs touching!!!!Yeah RTOman I agree you can have fun with the job. However got to be on point at all times. Its too crazy the simple stuff I deal with the supt tries to turn it into a bigger problem.

Yeah Dave I feel that bro lotta stuff going on folks with issues...

@RTOman.... ???????????????? Greetings my brother!!!

Any word from the guys who started today? Or are they now going to switch over to the other forum?

nothing much to report the first couple days, but it went well. Im guessing we'll trying not to flood this forum with that stuff when

people more worried about last person hired etc. but again it went well

nothing much to report the first couple days, but it went well. Im guessing we'll trying not to flood this forum with that stuff when

people more worried about last person hired etc. but again it went well

Waddup Natic... What's your class number?