Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Den

Train Operator Exam # 8098

Man, you just reminded me why the 142A is my favorite equipment to operate. I'm thinking about submitting a G2 to go back to the A now....

Meh, give me a 62 any day. I have more fun on those. New-techs put me to sleep. ZZzzZZzz...

And the 188's are terrible. I like to be able to switch hands so they don't get fatigued. Impossible on those. They did it because in the future when the 7 line goes CBTC like the L line you won't need the controller. But in the mean time it's very uncomfortable.

Edited by Neimas

Man, you just reminded me why the 142A is my favorite equipment to operate. I'm thinking about submitting a G2 to go back to the A now....

Meh, give me a 62 any day. I have more fun on those. New-techs put me to sleep. ZZzzZZzz...

And the 188's are terrible. I like to be able to switch hands so they don't get fatigued. Impossible on those. They did it because in the future when the 7 line goes CBTC like the L line you won't need the controller. But in the mean time it's very uncomfortable.

???????? smee's !!!

smee's !!!

Huh, yeah ok wait till you pounding the road in a 62 with a  poor working a/c in the summer or heater in the winter plus no back support while you operate then tell me about how you prefer a 62 over a 142 lol.

smee's !!!

Huh, yeah ok wait till you pounding the road in a 62 with a  poor working a/c in the summer or heater in the winter plus no back support while you operate then tell me about how you prefer a 62 over a 142 lol.

????????????????

^^^Hes Right.... Now those R62As... i do have to say best trains i operated in the A Div..

The R142s are second.. Just speaking from experience...

@RTOman.... Greetings my brother!!!

Salutations!!

Don't let em scare you Brownhornet! lol Yeah the 62's can be a little rough on you especially the ones on the 3 line(my favorite line at the moment); those make you work. I tend to switch between sitting and standing on them to alleviate some of the aches you get from operating them. Nothing like coming into a station busting 35mph standing up, taking a brake without having to adjust it and watch that mofo stop right at the marker. Then open your window and look out like a boss. Hey you have to fun with it or your day will drag and you will be miserable. :D

Once you get an idea how the R62's handle, they actually have the best brakes of any of the A Division equipment.

The R62A's are much easier to handle and more forgiving, but they don't have the same stopping power the R62's have. They are still excellent trains, and their brake is very predictable...meaning you'll get what you pull when you pull it...no delay.

Edited by SubwayGuy
  • Upvote 1

Don't let em scare you Brownhornet! lol Yeah the 62's can be a little rough on you especially the ones on the 3 line(my favorite line at the moment); those make you work. I tend to switch between sitting and standing on them to alleviate some of the aches you get from operating them. Nothing like coming into a station busting 35mph standing up, taking a brake without having to adjust it and watch that mofo stop right at the marker. Then open your window and look out like a boss. Hey you have to fun with it or your day will drag and you will be miserable. :D

@Niemus ???????? I ain't never scared!!! I welcome the challenge! I'm loving this experience. I heard about those ECAMS on the 62's as opposed to the 62A's. I heard those 62's stop where you want them to. Once you keep holding what you got. Well I still can't wait to operate them. Right now it's yards, and S/S for us.

I heard School Car has am & pm classes? Can someone please clarify the times?? Do you work overnights, weekends, & on holidays???

@Niemus I ain't never scared!!! I welcome the challenge! I'm loving this experience. I heard about those ECAMS on the 62's as opposed to the 62A's. I heard those 62's stop where you want them to. Once you keep holding what you got. Well I still can't wait to operate them. Right now it's yards, and S/S for us.

You will find yourself stopping short a lot and having to do the "rookie roll" early on when trying to wrestle with those 62's. As Subwayguy mentioned, their brakes are ridiculous. Gets easier of course as you gain experience but some folks just don't want any part of them. They are indeed unforgiving. However, they have been refurbishing some of them and those are much smoother.

I heard School Car has am & pm classes? Can someone please clarify the times?? Do you work overnights, weekends, & on holidays???

Yes, school car does indeed have am and pm classes. Unfortunately, you do not get to decide which one you want. AM one is like 7:30am~3:30pm and 10:30am~6:30pm. PM's are 3:00pm~11:00pm and 7:00pm~3:00am. These are the times you are with the instructors. Once you go to the yard for yx you work the shift of the job you are given. You will receive overnights(midnites) shifts once you leave your instructors to learn the yard and road operations. While in school car you will have sun-sat off. You may get a holiday off while you're still with your instructor but I don't think it's guaranteed. I think I remember getting Memorial Day off but not July 4th. Or we may have gotten both. Not sure. But like anything else in transit all of this is subject to change. Especially the times you meet with the instructors.

@Niemus I ain't never scared!!! I welcome the challenge! I'm loving this experience. I heard about those ECAMS on the 62's as opposed to the 62A's. I heard those 62's stop where you want them to. Once you keep holding what you got. Well I still can't wait to operate them. Right now it's yards, and S/S for us.

You will find yourself stopping short a lot and having to do the "rookie roll" early on when trying to wrestle with those 62's. As Subwayguy mentioned, their brakes are ridiculous. Gets easier of course as you gain experience but some folks just don't want any part of them. They are indeed unforgiving. However, they have been refurbishing some of them and those are much smoother.

I'll do that rookie roll all day till I tame that wild beast!!! It's all good. Can't wait!!!!! Until then.... It's SW and S/S for me.

Just got the call for the medical! This dream is finally starting. List number 260#

Congratulations.

Hopefully they keep adding lots of school car classes and the list keeps moving.

Congratulations.

Hopefully they keep adding lots of school car classes and the list keeps moving.

CONGRATS!!!!!

Thanks Guys!! Cant wait for Tuesday!! 

So you're going in for medical/final processing?

Yea on Tuesday. Cant wait to get this part over with.

So you're going in for medical/final processing?

Yea on Tuesday. Cant wait to get this part over with.

Just make sure you tied up any loose ends medically before you go. But you probably know that already from reading this thread

• Upvote 1

Just make sure you tied up any loose ends medically before you go. But you probably know that already from reading this thread

Word.....

Once you get an idea how the R62's handle, they actually have the best brakes of any of the A Division equipment.

The R62A's are much easier to handle and more forgiving, but they don't have the same stopping power the R62's have. They are still excellent trains, and their brake is very predictable...meaning you'll get what you pull when you pull it...no delay.

Yessir!!!!! The 3 Line is the best line in the A Division in my opinion. Not too long, not too short. Good express run. And don't forget the equipment. Those 62s on the 3 line are the best damn trains we have in the A div. Especially the modified ones that are smoother now. Anybody who says otherwise just can't handle them. If you want that beast to stop, it will stop. Come into a station doing 40 at the plat and that baby will stop on a dime. Those new techs will have you overrunning stations. It will be a long time coming before I pick away from the 3 line. Only downside is getting stuck behind a 2 constantly. It's like they operate slow on purpose over there lol.

• Upvote 1

Don't let em scare you Brownhornet! lol Yeah the 62's can be a little rough on you especially the ones on the 3 line(my favorite line at the moment); those make you work. I tend to switch between sitting and standing on them to alleviate some of the aches you get from operating them. Nothing like coming into a station busting 35mph standing up, taking a brake without having to adjust it and watch that mofo stop right at the marker. Then open your window and look out like a boss. Hey you have to fun with it or your day will drag and you will be miserable. :D  Once you get an idea how the R62's handle, they actually have the best brakes of any of the A Division equipment.

The R62A's are much easier to handle and more forgiving, but they don't have the same stopping power the R62's have. They are still excellent trains, and their brake is very predictable...meaning you'll get what you pull when you pull it...no delay.  @Niemus I ain't never scared!!! I welcome the challenge! I'm loving this experience. I heard about those ECAMS on the 62's as opposed to the 62A's. I heard those 62's stop where you want them to. Once you keep holding what you got. Well I still can't wait to operate them. Right now it's yards, and S/S for us.

Yessir!!!!! The 3 Line is the best line in the A Division in my opinion. Not too long, not too short. Good express run. And don't forget the equipment. Those 62s on the 3 line are the best damn trains we have in the A div. Especially the modified ones that are smoother now. Anybody who says otherwise just can't handle them. If you want that beast to stop, it will stop. Come into a station doing 40 at the plat and that baby will stop on a dime. Those new techs will have you overrunning stations. It will be a long time coming before I pick away from the 3 line. Only downside is getting stuck behind a 2 constantly. It's like they operate slow on purpose over there lol.

????????@slow on purpose, but the old timers I've spoken to over at Newlots told me how to come in the station with those 62's basically the same thing you said.

Exactly. I plan on picking the 3 as long as it's available to me. And yeah that deuce will jack up your waa and lunch for real.

The 2 is a high skill line. A good crew can make it on time, a poor or below average crew will be very late. It's not uncommon to see 2 trains 20 minutes apart on the countdown clock, then the next interval is 2-3 minutes behind that one.

I blame that for the bunching that occurs on the line and how it delays the 3 line. I've done the line in 1:25 - 1:26 (express) when I've had a good C/R, so it can be done.

@slow on purpose, but the old timers I've spoken to over at Newlots told me how to come in the station with those 62's basically the same thing you said.[/quot

Never said they were bad trains operational wise I was just talking about comfort level, 62s are great to operate specially in bad weather compared to the tech trains that slip and slide at the first drop of rain it's just that those 62s kill my back lol. And yes the 3 line in my opinion is the best line, once you get to chambers uptown it's over