Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to bring my completed 21 page booklet, all previous ID's that I brought with me when I took the DT.(Drivers lic., birth certificate, diploma,SS card, etc). Glasses & contacts due to eye exam. Was also told to bring food/snacks & drink cause it could be a long day.

Congrats WestEndMan!!! Yes, definitely bring a snack it can be a really long day.

I just completed my first week. We are off to a great start. We will receive our syllabus next week, then I will have a better idea of my schedule and what to expect.

According to the very nice lady on the phone, she explained whats the deal & what to bring & all that. She said this is for the Aug 25th class. Finally, ALOT of patience pays off.

Congrats!!! I know you have been waiting. First week was good a lil boring but good. A lot of information. Who knew it was this much. We got our tools and manuals today. Oh and we got some OT today too!! My class is going nights 3-11 looking forward to that lil bit of extra night pay lol.

Thanks guys. Took so long to finally get to this point......we all have got to be the most patient ppl on the planet. Obviously school is different times, but does school happen on weekends?

Not unless the TSS says we having class. Right now its Monday thur Friday any maybe some holidays 

Thanks guys. Took so long to finally get to this point......we all have got to be the most patient ppl on the planet. Obviously school is different times, but does school happen on weekends?

At the end of the first week, before you split up into your individual classes and meet your instructors, you will be given a tentative (subject to change) schedule for the duration of your time in schoolcar. It will cover all time from Classroom, to Road Ops Practice (with your instructors), to Yard Posting, YX, Road Posting, and all of your additional qualifications (fire school) and exam dates.

It is very much subject to change, but the days that you will be working are very unlikely to change. Obviously things like posting you will not know your start times yet, but you will know you are working that day.

Generally speaking you will be working Monday through Friday for the duration of schoolcar, with the exception of YX - Yard Extra, but also possibly with the exception of Thanksgiving week (you may come in the Sunday before Thanksgiving so you have a 4 day weekend on Thanksgiving). You will be off on the majority of TA holidays. TA Holidays: New Year's Day, MLK Day, President's Day, Lincoln's Bday, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day

The majority of your schoolcar class time will either be 7AM to 3PM, or 3PM to 11PM. Midnight road ops with your instructors will be 7PM - 3AM. Posting will be all tours. Your schedule will have all this info in it.

Thanks @SubwayGuy. Any & all info is helpful & appreciated. Knowing its a long shot, I hope this class has a mixture of A & B.div. but from previous posts, looks like A div needs its fill of TO's. It's all good A or B, everyone has their favorites, wouldn't matter to me, just glad to finally get this chapter of my life started.I

Gentlemen....TY.......Just browsing through the "big blue book" tells me.....study, study, study. For anyone who is still waiting......when..not if....you get called, this is not something to take lightly. I havent even started school yet, & I'm already starting to read up on things. This is a passion for me & I'm going to make it my PRIORITY to pass.

Congrats WestEndMan!!! I'm not too far behind with a 287x list number. I've been watching this forum for a while now and got a lot of good info so far. I'm sure you would say the same. Is there anything I should expect for when they call me for medical? Since this is fresh in your memory,  just wondering what to expect as of today.

Gentlemen....TY.......Just browsing through the "big blue book" tells me.....study, study, study. For anyone who is still waiting......when..not if....you get called, this is not something to take lightly. I havent even started school yet, & I'm already starting to read up on things. This is a passion for me & I'm going to make it my PRIORITY to pass.

Yes study study study. In week 2 and its A LOT and i mean  A LOT of information. But as long as you study you will be fine. If you don't understand something its OK. When you get into school car you will understand it and make sure you ask questions. Don't be shy when it comes to asking anything. Also invest in a good bag lol trust me you will need it.

@VinnySea Yeah, get there early. I got in about 6:45am, they started calling us around 7:30, sent over to medical around 8. After that its wait, get called, wait some more, get called. Once you get medically qualified, you wait for the interviewer. All goes well, you get you pic taken for your ID, and then wait to get fingerprinted. After all that, if your lucky, you'd probably get out of there between 1 & 2 pm.

I will say this, at around 8am the place is packed, busy like the DMV which last through the morning. When your just about to be done for the day, the place is practically empty. Keep yourself busy, in between waits.

I have a very important question to ask. I just got a call today from MTA on Livingston St. for Train Operator and they left me a message to come in Friday August 15 at 7:30am to take a second drug test. What does this mean? I do take a cholesterol lowering medication but they did not ask if I take any meds the first time. It was June 16th when I went the first time. Does the test expire? It will be 60 days on August 15th. Do I take my 21 page booklet? They did not say to in the message.

@WestEndMan. Did they tell you it was a second drug test? Did they tell you to bring the 21 page booklet?

When I got the call, no they did not mention a 2nd DT, & yes they did tell me to bring my "completed" 21 page booklet. Their exact words were " We need you to come down for your medical & processing. Please bring your completed 21 page booklet". As well as asking me questions on whether I wear contacts/glasses..