Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Thanks, everyone, for keeping us updated.  I'm much further out than the others who've recently posted, at 37xx. 

I had a few questions.

If anyone is able to answer them I'd be very grateful.

If they've been answered in the past I apologize for being repetitive.  I have read many pages of this thread but I'm trying to determine if anything has changed recently, or is expected to change soon, as opposed to how things have been for many years.

(1) The first appointment at 180 Livingston is just to submit your background packet and take a drug test? or is there typically a full physical exam and related tests (vision, hearing) at that point?

(2) After you go to 180 Livingston for your initial appointment, what are the further steps required before getting sent to school car? and how long does it typically take after the initial appointment to get into school car?

(3) As far as anyone knows, is the scheduling of school car and hiring of train operators remaining at a steady pace? One of the posters had suggested they might start having school car classes every week, and another poster said he thought they would be bringing in more train operators and fewer conductors in future school car classes.

(4) Does anyone expect scheduling of school car classes and/or hiring of train operators to change much after Labor Day, through the end of the year?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One week to go, & then I start my new career.

For those waiting, be patient. I've waited 5 years to be called and I always would think, "I'm never gonna get a letter, I'm never gonna get that call", but when you get that letter, things get put into motion. Finally when you get that call, & you go down for the medical and sign all the papers and get pics and prints taken......trust me, you feel like the wait was worth it. From what I can tell, the last # certified was 4618. To say that they will get that far.....could happen. But from what I was told, when I said to my interviewer, " I thought this day would never come", he told me, " Alot of ppl thought that too but what they fail to realize is the list doesnt expire until 9/2016. So from now until then, we will still be calling people up" Unless something comes up, I can see that happening. 

Thanks, everyone, for keeping us updated.  I'm much further out than the others who've recently posted, at 37xx. 

I had a few questions.

If anyone is able to answer them I'd be very grateful.

If they've been answered in the past I apologize for being repetitive.  I have read many pages of this thread but I'm trying to determine if anything has changed recently, or is expected to change soon, as opposed to how things have been for many years.

(1) The first appointment at 180 Livingston is just to submit your background packet and take a drug test? or is there typically a full physical exam and related tests (vision, hearing) at that point?

(2) After you go to 180 Livingston for your initial appointment, what are the further steps required before getting sent to school car? and how long does it typically take after the initial appointment to get into school car?

(3) As far as anyone knows, is the scheduling of school car and hiring of train operators remaining at a steady pace? One of the posters had suggested they might start having school car classes every week, and another poster said he thought they would be bringing in more train operators and fewer conductors in future school car classes.

(4) Does anyone expect scheduling of school car classes and/or hiring of train operators to change much after Labor Day, through the end of the year?

(1) First appointment at Livingston is drug test ONLY. Bring the 5 page application booklet, your IDs, the letter you received in the mail, a list of all medications you are taking, and dress decent. You will turn in paperwork, go for a drug test, then be given the 21 page personnel file booklet. That is all. Physical, etc. are NOT done on the first day. You will also leave them a phone number to contact you.

(2) After your initial drug test, you will be notified to come back. If you've waited and haven't been placed in a class, you may receive another notice to come in for another drug test. This doesn't mean you're in trouble, or the first one didn't go perfect...all it means is that it expired, and you will need to take another one that will be current. Once they are ready for you, you will receive a phone call (always a phone call) telling you to come back for the physical. This is a full day. You will then hand in the completed 21 personnel file booklet (you will have done this on your own time beforehand of course), answer a medical questionnaire, and get a full physical. If everything checks out, the position will be offered to you that day if a class is open, and you will be sworn in, fingerprinted, photographed for your employee pass, and given a start date that you are to report for schoolcar, as well as a benefits packet and (sometimes) a rulebook. Otherwise you will have to come back. This is very case by case - there is no cookie cutter solution to how this part goes. If you are prepared, you can make it through the physical to actually getting hired in one day. Note: Transit still has 11 months after you accept the position to verify info you provided them, so if you lied about something (like not having a criminal record) expect them to find it, and you will be terminated if it's determined that you hid something.

(3) Conductors are on hold for a while so more Train Operators can be brought in. Hiring plans are usually done about 6 months out, but they can change or be altered. The scheduling is generally one large group hired per month, which is then split into classes of no more than 10 in each title. The size of the group and the composition of Train Ops to CRs varies, as does the subdivisions (A or B) that they can go to. I have heard nothing stating classes every week as that puts a tremendous drain on schoolcar resources.

(4) No. They are continuing to hire bucketloads of Train Operators for the foreseeable future while Conductor hiring is on hold for the time being.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Got questions for the guys who started in July or any previous new guys.....

About to start on Monday for Aug class.

1. It says to wear a blue button down dress shirt......Light blue or dark blue?

2. Blue or black pants.......now I have both black dress pants and navy blue cargo slacks. Which would be preferred?

3. What as far as docs or paperwork besides my payroll hire sheet should I bring with me?

4. About how far into the 1st week will we get our uniforms?

5. Doing a lot of OT on my final week at current job to have a some extra cash, from day one till when is a first paycheck?,

Got questions for the guys who started in July or any previous new guys.....

About to start on Monday for Aug class.

1. It says to wear a blue button down dress shirt......Light blue or dark blue?

2. Blue or black pants.......now I have both black dress pants and navy blue cargo slacks. Which would be preferred?

3. What as far as docs or paperwork besides my payroll hire sheet should I bring with me?

4. About how far into the 1st week will we get our uniforms?

5. Doing a lot of OT on my final week at current job to have a some extra cash, from day one till when is a first paycheck?,

1 and 2. Either one

4. You will get measured for your uniforms on either the second or third day.  They will be delivered via UPS at some point (I'm not sure how long).

5. Next week is a pay week, so you will get your first pay check on your third Thursday.

I would also like to add a question, would we get a metrocard (i would understand us getting one) what about SO/wife/husbands?

The Metrocard is only for you and nobody else in your household.

1 and 2. Either one

4. You will get measured for your uniforms on either the second or third day.  They will be delivered via UPS at some point (I'm not sure how long).

5. Next week is a pay week, so you will get your first pay check on your third Thursday.

The Metrocard is only for you and nobody else in your household.

And make sure YOU and only YOU use that metro card . I know firsthand of a person @ work while someone was using their metro card. ( which BTW is your I.D. )

Thanks for the information. So I can assume the second letter that stated the starting salary was 20.2591 was just a typo? 

Train Operator rate is most definitely not $20.2591. It is an error. However, you should still question it when you go down to HR because you don't want an error to end up being displayed as your pay rate when you start.

That is most definitely the current starting salary for conductor so the error is either with you and the letter (maybe you also took the 8094 test and were looking at that letter?) or a clerical error on their end where they switched the salaries for positions or something.

Just found out some info. Wow, starting on Monday, go through the motions.....orientation days, union day, etc on the first week......instantly....3 DAY WEEKEND due to Labor day and payed holiday & school not happening on that day. At least thats what I was told. Better enjoy it now, wont see much of those days.

First Day: 130 Livingston - HR Orientation and Benefits. You'll receive your pass

Second Day: 130 Livingston - Uniform measurements, more required trainings (equal opportunity employment, violence in the workplace), you will pick your subdivision if your class has a choice

Days 3-5: More required trainings (videos, presentations, etc.) and Equipment Issue. You will also go through Track Safety at the end of Week 1. Whether or not you actually walk the tracks will depend on whether or not there is time for you to get your safety shoes the first week. On Day 5 you may also meet your 2 primary schoolcar instructors.

The second week you will be broken down into your individual classes of no more than 10, and you will be governed by your instructors as to reporting time and location, as well as subject material until you reach Yard Posting.

During schoolcar - with the exception of your time as Yard Extra (which occurs after Yard Posting) - you will be off Sunday/Saturday (TA week starts on Sunday) and all major holidays. Class will, with a couple possible exceptions for one day special events like Fire Safety School or the Train Simulator Lab, either be from 0700-1500 hours, or from 1500-2300 hrs.

congrats to all that got that call to come down here..  and to all that are waiting just be patient..  i know that sounds impossible but trust me when I tell you... everything is a lesson in patience down here..  Its an antiquated system..  Everything takes time down here..  Good luck to you all..

I know patience is a virtue, heck i took 3 k'nex and 4 days and built a massive roller coaster just to have it for a day then rebuild something else lol, but this is killing me, everyone is so nice and helpful on here and i can't wait to meet people in person. But most important i can't wait to start my new life and career

Edited by Pelham25

That is most definitely the current starting salary for conductor so the error is either with you and the letter (maybe you also took the 8094 test and were looking at that letter?) or a clerical error on their end where they switched the salaries for positions or something.

I went in on Tuesday 8/19/14. It turns out both letters I received were just errors, the starting salary is as you guys said. I went in for just another drug test since my last one was so close to being expired. The only tip that I can give is to get there early. The first time I went I was 3rd in line this time I was 4th. Both times I got there about a half-hour to 45 mins early and both times I was out within 90 mins. The bulk of that time was waiting to give a urine sample. Since everyone goes to the same office to do the DT from pre-interviews to MTA vets fresh from vacation they do a first come first serve basis. Also if you don't want to get put on hold for the pre-interview make sure all parking tickets and driving violations are taken care of. They can't proceed if anything is pending. I can't stress that part enough. I saw one guy get put on hold between his first and second DT because he had gotten a ticket that wasn't taken care of between that time. You don't want something as silly as a moving violation keeping you from getting to the next step.  

I went in on Tuesday 8/19/14. It turns out both letters I received were just errors, the starting salary is as you guys said. I went in for just another drug test since my last one was so close to being expired. The only tip that I can give is to get there early. The first time I went I was 3rd in line this time I was 4th. Both times I got there about a half-hour to 45 mins early and both times I was out within 90 mins. The bulk of that time was waiting to give a urine sample. Since everyone goes to the same office to do the DT from pre-interviews to MTA vets fresh from vacation they do a first come first serve basis. Also if you don't want to get put on hold for the pre-interview make sure all parking tickets and driving violations are taken care of. They can't proceed if anything is pending. I can't stress that part enough. I saw one guy get put on hold between his first and second DT because he had gotten a ticket that wasn't taken care of between that time. You don't want something as silly as a moving violation keeping you from getting to the next step.  

While it is always good to get there early since it helps move things along, be aware that when you get the phone call to come in for the medical and pre-employment, that it will be an all day affair no matter how early you get there. Bring your lunch, as well as everything else you are told to, but wait until after your blood pressure is taken to eat it.

Additionally be prepared to get documentation from your doctor that day (or make arrangements to have it beforehand for any known issues) for anything in your health history that could cause them to put you on medical hold. Nip it in the bud, and you may even get placed in a class that day (at which point you will be sworn in, fingerprinted, photographed, and given a start date). However, if you are forced to go on medical hold, classes are getting filled while you are on hold, and you will be losing valuable seniority and delaying your start date in the process. As you mentioned, you can also be placed on administrative hold if you have outstanding tickets, violations, fines, adjudications, or unresolved items in your paperwork. You want to go walk in at early o'clock and go home (at whatever time) with a start date and no open issues.

While it is always good to get there early since it helps move things along, be aware that when you get the phone call to come in for the medical and pre-employment, that it will be an all day affair no matter how early you get there. Bring your lunch, as well as everything else you are told to, but wait until after your blood pressure is taken to eat it.

Additionally be prepared to get documentation from your doctor that day (or make arrangements to have it beforehand for any known issues) for anything in your health history that could cause them to put you on medical hold. Nip it in the bud, and you may even get placed in a class that day (at which point you will be sworn in, fingerprinted, photographed, and given a start date). However, if you are forced to go on medical hold, classes are getting filled while you are on hold, and you will be losing valuable seniority and delaying your start date in the process. As you mentioned, you can also be placed on administrative hold if you have outstanding tickets, violations, fines, adjudications, or unresolved items in your paperwork. You want to go walk in at early o'clock and go home (at whatever time) with a start date and no open issues.

I'm not too concerned about medical. I was curious about education history, I have college credits spread out between a few colleges but no degrees. I was thinking of just leaving off any of the college that I did take since I don't have a degree anyway and just random credits here and there. I spoke to one of the people there and she said I should put it in. But I'm not sure if she misunderstood why I was asking to leave it off. Also do you have to provide transcripts?

I'm not too concerned about medical. I was curious about education history, I have college credits spread out between a few colleges but no degrees. I was thinking of just leaving off any of the college that I did take since I don't have a degree anyway and just random credits here and there. I spoke to one of the people there and she said I should put it in. But I'm not sure if she misunderstood why I was asking to leave it off. Also do you have to provide transcripts?

Put it in anyway, unless you are adamant about staying at this position and retiring which is also fine. If you don't need the credits for this position you will when trying to move up or sideways in the future and might as well let them have your schooling on record and up to date.

Always tell them everything.

You don't need to provide transcripts. Transit can verify that info without you from the colleges listed. You may be asked how many credits you completed, however, so at minimum be able to provide that number for each school on the 21 page booklet.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Always tell them everything.

You don't need to provide transcripts. Transit can verify that info without you from the colleges listed. You may be asked how many credits you completed, however, so at minimum be able to provide that number for each school on the 21 page booklet.

What Subway Guy said Always tell them everything..... They DO go back and check.

@westendman, you were called around the 1St,i remember, i was trying to see where they ended, my list is 310x, i live in Florida and want to know how much time i have to finish packing. I wish you the best if luck and hope to meet you on the job.

Edited by Pelham25