Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

To you B Div folks starting welcome and PLEASE dont get a bad  rep when you are Yard Extra!!!!

The B Div is a great place to really *learn* the system so much stuff to do you folks gonna love it.

Like Subway Guy said your rep follows you....

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I studied for 90 minutes a day, 7 days a week. I looked over the signals 5 times a day, every day. You do this and you will pass.

Another great thing about Transit is it is more than just a job, you meet great people here and in some cases, your life will completely change. Since JAN 11 2010, my first day in Transit I have gotten married to the niece of a TSS, I have gained a goddaughter, and I have made several lifetime friends here. 

When you graduate school car and become extra, extra, you are going to miss your instructors and your classmates in school car. You will see them from time to time but it won't be the same as when you were in class. 

Day 3, full day at the Union. @3rd Rail, nah he never did. I still like the fact that when we were finished being measured & the "come to jesus" meeting happened, towards the end, dont know if you caught it, but she made reference as to how when the uniforms arrive, they are hardly ever correct with the sizes.

Today I gotta admit....you could see who wants it bad, & who looks at it as just a job & a paycheck. Tomorrow is 1st day of school car. We're gonna get broken up into groups. I hope I'm in a group of some of the ppl that have the passion I have.

The ones here for the paycheck will be ok,as long as they understand what's expected of them.

Cause nothings gonna come to them out of the sky..... You are doing it the right way observing...

Does anyone know if the hours for Train Operator are based on a 35 hour week or 40? Also, are the training hours the same and at the same pay scale which should be $31.25 an hour? My wife asked me so I figured one of you guys would know. Thanks.

I don't think anyone answered my previous question, maybe because nobody knew the answer.

I just wanted to check back, since I'm waiting for the initial letter to come in for a drug test. 

Does anyone have an estimate as to what number they're up to for calling people for the initial drug test?

And how many people might they contact per month?

I'm trying to calculate roughly when I might receive that letter - the next month or so, or maybe early next year?

Thanks,

Matt (37xx)

@MTAhopefullMatt. First off I would say any good info you get here or anywhere, copy and paste it to save it to Microsoft Word or any software where it could be saved or write it down so you can go back to it in the future, that's what I did. I can tell you that my list # is 287x and I've gone through the entire hiring process. I will be in the Sept. 29th class. I was doing the calculations from 12/21/2013 when the list # posted from DCAS was 1614. You can call DCAS at 212-669-1357 and go through the prompts to find out where they are at. I always called after 5:00pm so I got a recording. I would call either every Sunday or Monday and you'll see that the list # is moving at a pace of about 150 per month. When you call over time you'll see that they may update the list after 1 month but mostly closer to 2 months. At the 2 month mark you'll probably see a difference of about 300 list #'s. Divide that in 2 to show a monthly movement and it comes to about 150 a month. This is the easiest way to give you an idea of when you may be called for your first drug test. The list number posted last I saw was 2730 as of 8/24/2014 but was first posted 7/27/2014. By the way, this number reflects the last eligible appointed not the first Drug Test so the # you see has already passed the first drug test group which could be a month before. You'll also see that the posted date will always be a Sunday date. If I had to guess, the next posted list number should be about 3030 which is based on a 2 month span from the 2730. To prove it to you just do the math. If you estimate about 6-7 months from the date 7/27/2014 which was the first week posting 2730 and based on about 150 per month you get 3630-3780. This is around your list # but remember, this is the last appointed so you should be called around January or February maybe sooner depending on the list moving at the same rate. I hope this wasn't too confusing but helpful. I know that I've appreciated all the members that have given their time to post info that has been very helpful to me so I want to do the same! Good luck!

Got our groups. Tomorrow is tools & shoes and other info. Like the vets are saying...you should not be late. Come early. Even if you are just getting medicals done, SHOW UP TO EVERYTHING EARLY!!! Lateness is not tolerated. Just do what you are told to do. Today was interesting. Be early, dress neat.....tuck in your shirts, take the hats off & be respectable. TSS's emphasized........things wont be tolerated.

@VinnySea pay scale is the same. Hours are based on a 40hr work week X2. You get paid bi-weekly. For school, its a 40hr work week.........sometimes. I'm already getting OT for training. Hours of work are based when you get put into groups. 7am-3pm or 3p-11p. That also could change based on your instructor. You could be doing overnight training. I'm just going to tell you this......and this was info given to me.......do not expect to be home the same time everytime . First week....sure, you'll finish you day at either 4pm or 3pm, depending on the day.(Orientation, Union end at 4pm). Once in school car....all instructor based. 

Yes the school you mentioned is the one we are at and no you have to park on the street. From my experience today, if you are expected at school at 7am, get there by 5:30. It gives you enough time to find parking and get to school EARLY!!! Cannot stress this enough. BE EARLY. From day one at orientation....be EARLY!!. If you have to drive, plenty of parking lots by livingston st. By the school, its all on you.

Edited by WestEndMan

@WestEndMan. Thanks for the info! Just trying to figure out my future finances. Need to get a jump on that since my current retirement funds are not sufficient. Too bad about the parking but I'm very good at finding street spots. I drove from Staten Island to Livingston St and always found a spot on the street. I did grow up in Brooklyn so maybe that has something to do with it, or just luck! Yes, EARLY is the word!!!

@westendman got it 100 correct. You do not want to be the known as the "guy that was late". The guy without his shirt tucked in got schooled.

@westendman got it 100 corret. Yoou do not want to be the known as the "guy that was late". The guy without his shirt tucked in got schooled.

Edited by 3rd Rail

Hey guys! For those with smartphones, just found this website to help with street parking. Not sure if there is an app for this. When you get to the site x out the blue info screen. Zoom into the location that you want. Select parking signs on the right and hit the i button on top. This will allow you to then hit any parking sign on the map and it will give you info on when you can park in that location. Example: alternate side of the street parking. This could help when going to training in Brooklyn on West 13th and Ave U. Play around with it maybe there is more info than I found. Check it out! http://www.nycdot.info/

@KenHeines. Congratulations! I'll see you on Sept. 29th!

Thanks, I'm itching to start. I tried to read through the School Car Experience thread but there is so much lingo that its difficult to parse. So I guess I'll just have to wait to experience it first hand. I hope the vets don't get too annoyed if I re-ask certain questions. As for driving I've decided to just take the train. Once I saw how hectic it would be to find a spot, I'd rather just get up an hour or so earlier and just to eliminate any frustration. I'm lucky enough to live right off of the 6, hopefully that luck will continue when I get placed in a div. 

@VinnySea, thanks for the detailed response.  I appreciate it, I follow your logic.  I'm just hoping to get started soon.

@Ken, congrats on getting your start date.  So it looks like they're booking school car 1-2 months out...

General question since people are discussing parking - I get it that there are lots of pay lots in downtown Brooklyn and difficult street parking where the school is in Brooklyn (Midwood?).  When people get assigned work in the yards, do most drive or take the train?  Is parking difficult at most train yards?