Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I just wanted to check since I don't have any books yet and I'm not in school car Yet. just wanted to do some studying so I can get my mind off of waiting for the call.

I understand how you feel but IMHO , unless one of these vets here say otherwise , I'd stay away from those sites. Imagine having to deprogram all that info if the book in school car reads otherwise.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys just made a month in school car this past week. I want you to all know that you have to and must study the signals. 4 people 4 just failed the signal exam. That test is 25 questions 15 mult choice and 10 written questions. Look at that test as 25 questions for 25 years at this job we all want. We all waited 5 plus years to get the call don't blow it on this signal exam. Study as much as you can with your classmates. You will be a small family and you should want to see everyone past. Again study them signals and know what they mean not just what they look like. Congrats to everyone that came in this past class and the new sept class good luck. 

WOW!! Schoolcar really changed with the signal test. My Induction date was JAN 11 2010 and My class didn't take the signal test until MAY 3 2010. 

Being I haven't even met my TSS or have been assigned a schedule, I'm guessing my 1st official week is Tuesday. Still, one month for an exam seems quick. From what the other TSS's mentioned, they made it seemed like you take the exam 2 months down the line.

The exact date of the signal exam will be given to you when you meet your instructors and receive your class's schedule. This is, of course, subject to change, but it will give you a rough idea of when to expect it. As far as "the hurdles of schoolcar" go it's one of the first, and probably the most stressful.

You will have:

-Signal exam (must get 100% to pass)

-Various quizzes (80% or better to pass, or else you will be tutored which is like a black eye in schoolcar)

-Midterm exam (80% or better to pass, or else you will be tutored and have to make up the exam with all write-ins. Fail the makeup and you're gone.)

-First Yard practical (Reading iron, Preparing a train for yard movement, cuts and adds aka coupling and uncoupling)

-Second Yard practical (Preparing a train for passenger service, troubleshooting a brake pipe rupture.)

-Final exam (80% or better to pass, or else you will be tutored and have to make up the exam with all write-ins. Fail the makeup and you're gone.)

-Road practical (Road operations and procedures).

No the signal test is two months from the start but when crazy things like 4 people failing the test everyone in school car hears about it.

You're damn right everyone hears about it. This reflects poorly on everyone from the students themselves to the instructors, to schoolcar as a whole. Given the amount of incidents occuring with recent hires, they are not playing around with this anymore. You are expected to be on point. 76s and 84s on the signal exam are absolutely horrible scores, and NYCT is probably better without those kinds of people keeping their handles. I am sorry you had to lose 4 classmates that way, but congratulations on getting through the most nerve racking part of schoolcar.

I've been to this website (nycsubway.org), they have a section teaching about signal aspects. Is all their info correct? I want to get a head start on studying signals.

Don't use outside sources. My advice to you if you are eager to start studying is to go off the rulebook. Here is an online copy.

http://transportworkersunited.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/rulesbook-TA-OA.pdf

Focus on pages 80 to 118 (these are the PDF page numbers, not the rulebook page numbers).

Do NOT read to the section marked "Flagging rules" as much of that information has been superceded by bulletins that have come out since 2003, which is the last time the rule book was revised.

Also, when you complete the pre-employment process, you can ask the person that swears you in if they have a TA rule book, or if you should expect it on your first day. Sometimes HR has extra ones for new hires lying around.

Oh yeah if there is anyone here that is in my Aug class, remember, if you're enjoying this last ever 3 day weekend........no drinking after Sunday. No drinking at all Monday. We are probably having cook outs & bbq's and having a beer or 2, but remember, we must have clean systems for Tuesday

Edited by WestEndMan

Ques to all: Which are the most comfortable shoes or boots that are acceptable by the MTA???

NYCT will issue you boots.  They have several options to choose from..  ALL OF THEM ARE VERY HEAVY and all have composite toe protection.  Its all about your preference.  Do you prefer low cut or high tops...  thats pretty much it.  If you can't wear the boots provided to you then you need to get a doctors note and fill out a form so that you can wear your own boots..  But it needs to be approved first.  

@Allday, No Kidding lol. While on a high note, Does anyone know of any Fairly cheap places to live that is safe and clean. I haven't been in new york in about  5 Years when i moved to florida so I really don't know what's what any more. When I went for the D/T the cabs were Green. Threw me for a loop. Thank you in advance.

Those boots are so heavy. I got the 8 inch boots cause they had the most padding around the ankles. As for the green cabs....lol, yeah those are outer boro cars. They can get fares anywhere. The city has gotten so expensive. The further you are away from NYC, the cheaper..

@Allday, No Kidding lol. While on a high note, Does anyone know of any Fairly cheap places to live that is safe and clean. I haven't been in new york in about 5 Years when i moved to florida so I really don't know what's what any more. When I went for the D/T the cabs were Green. Threw me for a loop. Thank you in advance.

I deliver mail in a pretty decent neighborhood in Queens Village so I'll keep an eye out. Fairly cheap in NYC is about $1K. Edited by Allday

NYCT will issue you boots. They have several options to choose from.. ALL OF THEM ARE VERY HEAVY and all have composite toe protection. Its all about your preference. Do you prefer low cut or high tops... thats pretty much it. If you can't wear the boots provided to you then you need to get a doctors note and fill out a form so that you can wear your own boots.. But it needs to be approved first.

Got it. Thanks...

Question: where is school car held? Is it at ps 248? Or does it vary, what is school car time ( length) for a and b div?

( This is from an earlier post. SHOUTOUT TO BROWNHORNET! )Depending on the divisions. A division is 6 months. B division is 9 months. Reason being, the B division has more equipment (ie R32, R42,R46,R68,R68A,R143,R160) Meanwhile back in the A division the only equipment we have to learn are (R62,R62A,R142,R142A,R188) See the difference? if you read through the past post you can most likely find anything you're looking for. Edited by Allday

( This is from an earlier post. SHOUTOUT TO BROWNHORNET! )Depending on the divisions. A division is 6 months. B division is 9 months. Reason being, the B division has more equipment (ie R32, R42,R46,R68,R68A,R143,R160) Meanwhile back in the A division the only equipment we have to learn are (R62,R62A,R142,R142A,R188) See the difference? if you read through the past post you can most likely find anything you're looking for.

Thanks, is school car only at ps 248?

For the guys who are waiting for the DT letter or the call for final / medical.....patience. They will get to you. There is a demand for T/O's. Plus the list expires in 2016. The only true advice for everyone is, dont lie & don't leave anything out on your forms. The MTA will find out.

Thanks, is school car only at ps 248?

No. While it will begin there (after your 2 day orientation at Livingston), you will travel to the various yards and terminals in your subdivision for class once you are broken up into small groups. ("A" or "B") because part of schoolcar is familiarizing you with the areas you'll be working when you're on your own. Occasionally you will report to PS 248 for exams, or to complete necessary trainings (such as the right to know which requires the computer lab), but the majority of the class portion of schoolcar is spent reporting to terminals or yards in your subdivision.

Edited by SubwayGuy

No. While it will begin there (after your 2 day orientation at Livingston), you will travel to the various yards and terminals in your subdivision for class once you are broken up into small groups. ("A" or "B") because part of schoolcar is familiarizing you with the areas you'll be working when you're on your own. Occasionally you will report to PS 248 for exams, or to complete necessary trainings (such as the right to know which requires the computer lab), but the majority of the class portion of schoolcar is spent reporting to terminals or yards in your subdivision.

Thanks again, I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to get to school car driving or mass trans. (Coming from the island) how long before we get our health benefits ?