Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

@westendman, I've been following your post for a while now, since you were in my shoes waiting for the call.now it's your on the job experience that have kept me focused on the future.i read the rulebook whenever i can, randomly going thru the emergency radio calls out loud(coworkers think I'm nuts) all the advice i have gotten from you and many others on here and city data have helped so much and I not only wish all of you the best of luck, but also a long future with the city, as i wish for all who are serious about this and want it. I'll see you at work soon.

Edited by Pelham25

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question....How does the medical handle anyone with high blood pressure? I have high blood pressure (inherited) for many years, but its controlled through medication. I exercise at least 3X a week and never had any issues. Should I get a medical letter from my private physician before they call me in? Or should I wait and see what they tell me? I really do not want to delay any processes. They should be calling me for the Oct Class my # is 302X.

Thanks for any helpful ideas.

Edited by Breaker013

@Breaker013: I just went through a similar situation but not exactly and I'm starting September 29th. My advice to you is get that letter from your doctor stating that you're in his care and you're ok to work as a Train Operator. More importantly if you have any recent documentation on your visits from your doctor showing tests taken with results that will go a longer way. Make sure they are recent visits! Better to be prepared in advance because otherwise they can put you on medical hold. Give them as much documentation as possible don't leave anything out. Good luck!

@Breaker013: I just went through a similar situation but not exactly and I'm starting September 29th. My advice to you is get that letter from your doctor stating that you're in his care and you're ok to work as a Train Operator. More importantly if you have any recent documentation on your visits from your doctor showing tests taken with results that will go a longer way. Make sure they are recent visits! Better to be prepared in advance because otherwise they can put you on medical hold. Give them as much documentation as possible don't leave anything out. Good luck!

Thanks VinnySea I will make an appointment today!

@Pelham, have you had both the initial drug test and the follow up evaluation?  Are you awaiting the call to come to school car?

So they start calling people about one month before a school car class begins - do the calls usually continue until right before the class begins?

Thanks for your info.

Matt

list #37xx

@mtahopfullmatt I had the D/T I'm still waiting for the call for final processingand medical, they start calling around the time of a class beginin, for about a week or so, a calculation was made that about 150 people are called per month.

@Allday no problem, I'm just paying it forward.

Spoke with someone earlier and was told that they'll start calling for October class on Monday.

@ MTAHopefull Matt and Allday...

I got a call from MTA HQ today and they said they're going to have Oct, Nov, & Dec classes.

Like Allday stated they should be calling people next week for the Oct class.

@trainman, you get quizzes regularly in class, a "practice" test around the time of your yard practical, but yes the one & only test that counts, you MUST get 100% or you're gone. It's now 25 questions, 15 multiple choice, 10 write ins. You get any multiple choice wrong, you're done. On the write ins, you might get called in if your answer seems right, but needs clarification.

@trainman, you get quizzes regularly in class, a "practice" test around the time of your yard practical, but yes the one & only test that counts, you MUST get 100% or you're gone. It's now 25 questions, 15 multiple choice, 10 write ins. You get any multiple choice wrong, you're done. On the write ins, you might get called in if your answer seems right, but needs clarification.

Did you take the signal test yet and did everybody in your class pass ?

@Allday not yet but my instructors are drilling it into our heads about how important this exam is. I feel that my class has it down. Should really have no problems passing. Following instructions, being quizzed everyday & most important, studying, has really helped in memorizing the names and functions of the signals.

@Allday not yet but my instructors are drilling it into our heads about how important this exam is. I feel that my class has it down. Should really have no problems passing. Following instructions, being quizzed everyday & most important, studying, has really helped in memorizing the names and functions of the signals.

How is school car after orientation? I'm trying to anticipate my week? Do you bounce around daily or weekly?

Get the signal flash cards and study them every single day, 7 days a week. I did it every day for an hour and I had no problem passing, this isn't something you can hold off and "cram" You Must know this without effort.

With that said, how would one go about getting said flash cards ?

@ceerock you bounce around daily. Sometimes you can be in the same place 2-3 days in a row. But it's to familiarize yourself with the different locations & how they operate. Once you've been to a place, you will be back there later on in your schedule. Just be ready to know how to get there & be early. It is good to know the transit system & if you drive better be early. Traffic jams & cant find parking is not an excuse. But a late or delayed train can save you.