Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

That's crazy because in my class we all have back packs I'm only two months in front of y'all. What did they say carry?

Nothing with wheels, nothing with straps, nothing that you can sling over your shoulder. Basically either a duffel bag or a tool bag. I have a feeling the class I'm in has gotten a rep for being knuckle heads with the TSS' so they are going extra hard. Thanks to these forums I've been point and on time. But from people wearing jeans and sneakers on a daily basis, to people constantly nodding off... I'm pretty sure two or three guys aren't even going to last long enough to even take a crack at the signal test. 

How was your orientation week? The first three days for us were filled with misinformation and just a lack of communication. Like the sheet that they gave us when they hired us that laid out the first week... almost half the sheet was not only wrong (times and locations), but also didn't specify a dress code. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I have a backpack with hidden wheels that I use to pull.......off hours. When I'm on TA time, never used the wheels. @hopefulTO, I think it has to do with the rule of no bags on backs when crossing tracks. Either that or something happened we don't know about. Damn rookies.....lol

Ken, are you in the gymnasium yet? Here's a little bit of advice. You guys are new. Whatever they say, don't question it. I challenged one of the TSS's before even knowing who was going to be my TSS.....guess what, he turned out to be my instructor. Distant yourself from the oddballs that nod off & can't stick with it. You will be better off.

I agree. I have a backpack with hidden wheels that I use to pull.......off hours. When I'm on TA time, never used the wheels. @hopefulTO, I think it has to do with the rule of no bags on backs when crossing tracks. Either that or something happened we don't know about. Damn rookies.....lol

Something happened; a track worker, who's bag of tools feel off the elevated tracks and basically took him with them. They weren't too clear on how badly he was injured. At first it sounded like he died, but then it seemed like he may have just been injured.  

Ken, are you in the gymnasium yet? Here's a little bit of advice. You guys are new. Whatever they say, don't question it. I challenged one of the TSS's before even knowing who was going to be my TSS.....guess what, he turned out to be my instructor. Distant yourself from the oddballs that nod off & can't stick with it. You will be better off.

Yeah, today was my first day in the gym. 

Thanks for the tip and trust me I've been doing just that, I'm not there to question their authority at all. It just seemed unfair to yell at people who were basically doing what they were told, except they were told wrong. Also I feel bad for the people nodding off, why wait five years for this opportunity if you are just going to sleep it away? But I get the feeling this is they type of job where you cant really worry about others actions or try to look out for others without it coming back and biting you. 

Something happened; a track worker, who's bag of tools feel off the elevated tracks and basically took him with them. They weren't too clear on how badly he was injured. At first it sounded like he died, but then it seemed like he may have just been injured.

Yea that's why you can't cross the tracks with them but we do have back packs we just carry them in out hands when we walk. But there is always something new in transit lol.

Last year, a Signal Maintainer was killed along the right of way. He was using one of those wheeled-bags on the benchwall. It got snagged on a passing train, and pulled him under.

Bulletin 105-13 addresses the bag situation. Its not really enforced on RTO personnel in the A Divison. Everybody carries a bagpack; a shoulder bag, or a wheeled valise. With MOW and Construction Flaggers, I think they are more strict about it. Me personally, I use a canvas toolbag. It has a shoulder strap, but that can be tucked inside the bag. While you're in Schoolcar, follow the rules to the letter. You'll have a little more flexibility once you're out on your own.

Wearing sneakers???? Nodding off in class Huh??? Looks like some folk may have to learn a few lessons...

MTA is great at it don't worry.

All this time waiting to get in here and some are just wasting their time...

Sigh... Oh well you just do what's asked of you and pay no mind to the others who aren't serious.

There have been some real "winners" lately...

Just worry about yourself and work with those in your class that are taking it serious and help each other. Let the clowns fail, they're going to with or without your help, no need to get caught up in their BS, or wind up drawing their attention out of it.

I don't want you to get it twisted. On this job, you can and oftentimes MUST look out for your coworkers. A lot of people here will give YOU the benefit of the doubt when you're new, and you should do your best to keep it going. Those that are worth it, people will always try to help if they can. Most times down here, helping someone doesn't actually involve putting your neck out. But those that are not worth saving, or have attitudes, no one is going to go out of their way to help. They will be left alone to suffer the consequences of their own actions.

@ Race Harley, congrats on moving forward in the process. 

Could you clarify something, though, for those of us waiting for the letter telling us to go for the initial drug test?

Was the drug test on 9/30 a repeat drug test, because the initial one expired?

And what is your list range?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the initial steps, pre-school car, so I can anticipate when I might be called for testing and how long from that point to getting into a school car class.

I realize everything is rough estimates, and depends on rate of hiring, medical/background holds, etc.

I'll need to leave my current job and arrange childcare for school car, so as much advance notice as possible is ideal.

Thanks,

Matt

list # 37xx

From testing to start date can be anywhere from 15 days to 90+.

It varies so much because the outcome of the people they bring in is never known. You'd be surprised how many people can't pass a drug test. Plus people going on medical hold, or needing to sort out paperwork issues. They will call people until they can fill a class. That's the goal - fill the next class at all costs.

Often, that means calling a number of people down in a very short time. If they fill the class relatively easily, then everyone who has been called down but not placed in the class, and also not disqualified, has to wait for the next one to come around. Which can often mean retaking the drug test to have a more current one as the first one will often expire before then.

@allday i was there yesterday as well.i was sitting in the seat right infront of the counter. Yeah not that many people but most of them were T/O

I was sitting right under the TV until they turned it on. Afterwards I was in the 1st row. I had the ipad out.

I think so they never said it didn't so I'm sure it does.

I'm Tier 4 so I can't answer this question with 100% certainty, but as I understand it:

If you are a new hire, you fall under Tier 6. Overtime counts towards your total for the year, however, overtime in excess of 10% of your annual "base pay" (I don't know exactly how that number is determined) will not count toward the pension.

For Tier 4, our best 3 consecutive years are used, and those years plus the 2 before them are what is looked at when computing the final average.

Years 1 and 2 determine what is pensionable in Year 3: The lesser of Year 3 pay, or (Average of Year 1 and 2) x 1.1

Years 2 and 3 determine what is pensionable in Year 4: The lesser of Year 4 pay, or (Average of Year 2 and 3) x 1.1

Years 3 and 4 determine what is pensionable in Year 5: The lesser of Year 5 pay, or (Average of Year 3 and 4) x 1.1

The average of those 3 years equals our final average.

For you Tier 6 folks, I don't know how many years are looked at. However, the 1.1 x portion of the calculation applies to base pay so any overtime that exceeds 10% of whatever your base pay is determined to be, won't count towards your pension.

Your contribution rates into the plan are also higher. Someone with more knowledge of Tier 6, however, would need to tell you the specifics of all this. I'm just giving you an overview of the areas where Tier 6 is different in an attempt to answer your question.