Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Congrats. Remember to ask questions if you don't know moves! YX will be what you make of it. If you try to learn the moves at locations, write them down, and try to remember them...you'll get a lot out of it - more than those of us who went straight to the road. If you just see it as working a senior job and sitting down watching TV, well then you'll be able to have great convo's about every episode of Maury, and you'll be a master chef from watching the Chew.

But only one of those will be beneficial to your career! Good luck, and all the best.

true that, i was at westchester for most of my time on YX and was able to learn the in's and outs of that yard, every move or combination of moves they do in the yard. but only did a couple put ins to pelham never to parchester. rest of my time was at mosholu and corona. corona has the long layups and putin's to main street which give you good practice with timers, and woodlawn i was on the 239 wash which is like a solid 3 hrs of operating mainline, loads of practice. unfortunately many of my classmates were stuck their whole time at utica doing switching for the whole 3 months and didn't learn shit. guess i got lucky.

the yx really is what you make of it, you can veg out and sit there watching tv and playing on your phone waiting for a move or you can be the dude that asks the dispatcher to give you anything at all. your choice

Edited by my923ksl

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ques: When do you start to "Post" in School Car, basically you are assigned a Train Operator; how many & how long????

Generally a different one every day. How long depends on what division you are in. For yard and station switching you are supposed to post each location once. For road you are supposed to post each line at least once, but some lines you will see more. In the IRT you should post each line at least twice, some as many as 3-4 times.

You get a practice test when you take your mid-term, but when you take the actual signal test, YES, it is a one shot test and you MUST score 100%. It is given at around the 2 month mark of school car. From the practice test I took, it is fairly easy if you know your stuff. 

A class started today. ( Oct 27 )

I'm in this class. There's about 100 people in the class, about 55 for the T.O. position. 

After lunch, they brought the other set of people into our conference room due because

they didn't have the space for them. They threw alot of information at us. The day flew

by and people were still asking questions as we were leaving.

Oh I have been sir. I was asked by my TSS if I was cheating. My answers have always been on the money & textbook. Scary, cause of you look back about a month ago, I would have looked like a deer in headlights if you asked me a signal question. Now.....it just comes out like reciting the alphabet.

What's up everyone I'm list #316x. I've been following this post for a while now. Just finished up medical yesterday and start school car on Dec 1st. A few questions I'm sure you guys have the answer for. (1) How long before medical benefits start? I'm assuming 90 days from hire date? (2) Are there school car classes on holidays like Christmas and if so do you get time and a half on those days? (3) Do you get paid for Orientation? And was the last class that went in able to pick their division A or B or was everyone assigned to the same division. Thanks for any answers in advance. I can't wait to get started.

Hi Treweis44, I don't have any answers for the post you submitted but I hope you could answer a question for me. Like yourself I have been following the post for awhile. I took my drug test (urine) on October 22nd and I'm currently awaiting a call to take my full medical. I see you mentioned you are going to be in a December 1st class. My list number is 340x. If possible can you let me know what date you took your drug test (urine)? I was trying to estimate your physical yesterday with that date to see if I would possibly make the December 1st such as yourself. Thank you for your time and attention and I hope to hear back from you soon.

You are correct with the medical benefits. Yes School car gets off on holidays. I already had Labor day and will be getting Thanksgiving off. Unfourtunately, I will probably have to work Xmas because I will be in the YX program during that time. You get paid from the 1st day you actually start. If you are starting on Dec 1st, thats your 1st day on payroll. I was able to pick my division. The last 2 classes were A div only. You may get the choice, you may not. You'll find out on Orientation day. Good luck and welcome.

What's up everyone I'm list #316x. I've been following this post for a while now. Just finished up medical yesterday and start school car on Dec 1st. A few questions I'm sure you guys have the answer for. (1) How long before medical benefits start? I'm assuming 90 days from hire date? (2) Are there school car classes on holidays like Christmas and if so do you get time and a half on those days? (3) Do you get paid for Orientation? And was the last class that went in able to pick their division A or B or was everyone assigned to the same division. Thanks for any answers in advance. I can't wait to get started.

Medical benefits start on the first of the month that follows your completion of 90 days from hire.

-IE if you are hired on Dec 1, 90 days will be March 1, your benefits will start March 1. Were you hired Dec. 10, 90 days would be sometime in mid March, so your benefits wouldn't actually start until April 1.

Schoolcar classes do not happen on TA holidays like Christmas, or New Year's Day. Minor holidays can be an exception. If you ever have to work a TA holiday (and you will) there is no time and a half. Rather, you will receive 8 hours "holiday pay". So if you are working an 8 hour job, it is effectively double time. But it is not double time. If you work a 10 hour job, you will still only receive 8 hours holiday pay. Additional options like declining holiday pay in favor of banking a future day off will be explained to you later, you don't need to worry about that now.

You get paid for orientation at the starting pay rate for your title.

Can't speak to the last class that started being able to pick division, but you should also know that what the last class did doesn't matter for you, or anyone after you. The needs of the service dictate where new hires go (A Division or B). If there is a provision that the class be split, then in seniority order, the new hires will select divisions until one is full, and everyone left will go to the other division.

Hey Race, welcome. Listen & learn. Orientation is routine. When you get to ps 248 is when it gets good. I have my signal exam next week. Hope to see ya down the road.

Hey WestEndMan, I just finished my 1st week of orientation at PS248. Pretty cool. Looking forward to Monday when we will be broken up into our classes.

Hi Trainman,

Here is what I've done so far. On October 22nd, I came down for the interview and urine test and left with a 21 page booklet that I've since completed. They asked me to leave my cell phone number with them on the letter that was originally mailed to us. Today makes 11 days since my first visit.

Trainman,

My pre employment letter was dated October 15th and that letter invited me to stop by 180 Livingston on October 22nd where I completed my urine test and left with the 21 page booklet.