Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, been a while since posting on here. Been busy. I'm now road posting(operating a train in passenger service along with a T/O instructor) and still been reading the forums. Now, take this for what its worth, not sure how true it is. This was asked of a TSS. According to him, he said they were slowing down the hiring process due to the over abundance of new hires VS the amount of veterans changing their retirement dates. Again I don't know how true this is, he could be pulling my leg. Hopefully a veteran poster on here can maybe find out more. I know all too well how it is to wait for that call. All I can say is, the list expires in Sept/2016, so hopefully a bunch of you guys get that call before that date.Good luck and hope to see you guys in TA uniforms soon.

Hi, I'm interested in talking to some retired or current train operators. I have a few questions about the subway system, and was hoping I could interview someone who might be able to help. Happy to explain in more detail, and perhaps we can chat on the side to exchange information if you are interested. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If one were to be called for Conductor, then a few months later called for Train operator, would you have to quit the Conductor job to take Train operator position?

What pick are you referring to?

If one were to be called for Conductor, then a few months later called for Train operator, would you have to quit the Conductor job to take Train operator position?

Yes. You are only afforded the job security of being treated like a promotional employee in that instance if you complete probation in the Conductor title (at least 1 full year as a Conductor) before accepting appointment to Train Operator.

Picks will be explained to you when you are hired, or shortly after.

They cancelled the upcoming conductors exam. Slowed on hiring T/O's. Alot of us are hitting the road soon. A Div just passed their road practical and the B-Div has their road practical at the end of the month. In that induction class their are 36 total. After that there was 6 induction classes of 40 T/O's each. Do the math and thats alot still to come. I hope you guys waiting get called. You've been waiting so long & I know how stressful it can get. Good luck to all of you. 

Thanks for the update, WestEndMan.  The wait is extremely stressful/frustrating.  I know most of those reading this have been in the same position - too many people seeking a good job in a bad economy. 

Could you clarify - do you mean that Transit is going back to a monthly school car class of T/Os of 40 per month from May through the end of the year?
And what about next year, since the list doesn't expire until mid Sept. 2016?

Also, how many people from the list does Transit typically call up/screen to get to a final class?  50 screened to get to 40 trainees? 60 screened to get to 40 trainees?

I realize that anything could happen and nothing is guaranteed.

I'm just trying to understand the process.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some additional info/guidance.

He's talking about classes coming to the road. There will be a surplus if his numbers are correct, so odds are they will wait to hire at the moment (or hire smaller classes than they've been recently) until the May retirements go through so they see how big their surplus of Train Operators looks with an eye towards estimating personnel needs for the winter season when people go out at the end of the year.