Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we are the 2nd. class to have to take the signal test twice! There have been problems with people passing the signal test, and then not knowing how to understand the signals while on the road.

The name of one of the class sections in the B division.

Also be sure you are in good enough shape to be able to climb on to a subway car from the track bed! One person had to leave their class because they weren't able to do it. MTA is allowing them to go to the gym and come back for the July class,

Ta18 is the name of one class section in the B division.

Yes, we are the 2nd. class to have to take the signal test twice! There have been problems with people passing the signal test, and then

not knowing how to understand the signals while on the road.

The name of one of the class sections in the B division.[/quote

So they are allowing people to take the signals test 2x wow. Look guys knowing what signal aspect is infront of you is no joke. A train operator is part of the train crew the conductor is the other part. Each has to know that the other KNOWS HIS OR HER JOB! Having to take the signals test 2x means that you are not studying!

Put aside any distractions and take school car seriously. The lives of everyone on your train is in the train crews hands. Would you want to be on a train where the person operating the train couldn't read all the signals?

No, this person said that if you PASS the first time, you still have to take it again. It sounds like they got stricter, not less strict

If that is the case then it still doesn't make sense but if so then I stand corrected.

Yes, they have to take it twice. Showing a student around the yard a couple weeks back and he told me the same thing.

Apparently the issue is the YX program. The students study and learn the signals, then they go to YX which can be a great learning experience if you let it...but too many people look at it as "lazy time" where they can work cushy senior jobs and not seek out all the knowledge they can get. Then they forget their signals after a lazy week, especially if they are confined to yard limits and not actually encountering mainline signals anywhere. Then, still during YX, they have to make a put in over the mainline, or a layup, or transfer a train...something involving going down the road, even though there are no passengers, and an incident happens where the YX, um, misinterpreted the signal. Or, in other cases, the signal misinterpretation waits until road posting to occur, or during practice road ops with a TSS on board. In any case, bad news. You've had all kinds of foolishness in schoolcar the last couple years. Including people on final notice who are out of service for reinstruction and operating with a TSS and a Superintendent riding with them on a light train for practice who...hit a signal.

Not saying everyone forgets their stuff (since of course that wouldn't be true, and there are people that do a lot of good with their YX time) but it has happened enough times to cause concern hence the 2 signal tests.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Yes, they have to take it twice. Showing a student around the yard a couple weeks back and he told me the same thing.

Apparently the issue is the YX program. The students study and learn the signals, then they go to YX which can be a great learning experience if you let it...but too many people look at it as "lazy time" where they can work cushy senior jobs and not seek out all the knowledge they can get. Then they forget their signals after a lazy week, especially if they are confined to yard limits and not actually encountering mainline signals anywhere. Then, still during YX, they have to make a put in over the mainline, or a layup, or transfer a train...something involving going down the road, even though there are no passengers, and an incident happens where the YX, um, misinterpreted the signal. Or, in other cases, the signal misinterpretation waits until road posting to occur, or during practice road ops with a TSS on board. In any case, bad news. You've had all kinds of foolishness in schoolcar the last couple years. Including people on final notice who are out of service for reinstruction and operating with a TSS and a Superintendent riding with them on a light train for practice who...hit a signal.

Not saying everyone forgets their stuff (since of course that wouldn't be true, and there are people that do a lot of good with their YX time) but it has happened enough times to cause concern hence the 2 signal tests.

Just Like How my October Class of 2001 "Changed" Schoolcar forever, this again shows that If folks DO NOT take the effort into this Job MTA will "react" hence Two Signals Quizzes...

Boy we had some winners in my class...

In my Opinion No way should a New T/O should have a problem Understanding the Difference between a Red Lunar White and a Red with a Illuminated "15"..

I mean No way should a T/O in general have that problem, but if you are still In training or Just out of it im sorry i cannot get it.

Just Like How my October Class of 2001 "Changed" Schoolcar forever, this again shows that If folks DO NOT take the effort into this Job MTA will "react" hence Two Signals Quizzes...

In my Opinion No way should a New T/O should have a problem Understanding the Difference between a Red Lunar White and a Red with a Illuminated "15"..

I mean No way should a T/O in general have that problem, but if you are still In training or Just out of it im sorry i cannot get it.

@ Phoenix, thanks.

BTW, it looks like NYC Transit is going straight to the physical exam - they sent the employment questionnaire and warned that I may be at 180 Livingston all day.

Is this a different process than before?

I thought they were doing preliminary drug testing and than going on to full day physical exams for those who passed the drug test.

. Damn RTOMan!! Lol, how did your class "change" school car forever!? Lmao!!!

FYI, I just received in today's mail my notice to appear for pre-employment physical, at the end of June.

It looks like things are finally moving forward.

Matt

list #37xx

Hey congratulations MTA Hopeful Mat. I've seen you post on the forum and You've been waiting forever, dude. You already know school car ain't no joke. Your going to be stressed out worrying about the do or die signal tests, as my whole class was. Unfortunately you got to take it twice. Also, the quizzes, and practicals you get 2 shots at the practicals. Quizzes you have to pass most of them. Midterm and final you must pass or you have to take the retest, No multiple choice. This is not a program where everyone makes it. Trust me, they are serious about 100% on the signal test and the practicals. You will be shown the door. You can do it . You have to study. Good luck, Your gonna love the job though.

FYI, I just received in today's mail my notice to appear for pre-employment physical, at the end of June.

It looks like things are finally moving forward.

Matt

list #37xx

By the way MTA Hopeful Mat,I have a friend waiting to be called and he is 377X. could you please tell me are you I the high -mid - low 37XX.

Depmaze I am 378x no letter for me yet. Me & your friend are neck & neck.

Yeah, same with my my pal Trainman. I called him after reading about MTA Mat's good news, because their both in the 3700's. However as Mat stated he is in the lower 3700's. My pals in the 377X. He checked his mail and no golden ticket to the big show yet.

Out of curiosity, what is the hourly rate they are starting Train Operators at when you guys are starting school car classes? I know there were contract changes , does anyone have an updated PDF or info on what the contract looks like for guys who are getting hired off the street from 8098?

Out of curiosity, what is the hourly rate they are starting Train Operators at when you guys are starting school car classes? I know there were contract changes , does anyone have an updated PDF or info on what the contract looks like for guys who are getting hired off the street from 8098?

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/wage_rates_final.pdf

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/finalmemorandumofunderstanding_0.pdf

I just received the same letter, asking to report to Livingston Street later this week. It's the same form and process I went through a little over a month ago. Should I call HR?

Edited by ErikNYC