Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

@Tprashad, school car schedule depends on the needs of the TA. You'll get a schedule your first or second week that lists every day's activities and location. Train operators generally have worked mornings M-F during school car, but they may place you on the PM shift. And everyone will do some night and overnight work. Generally no weekend work during school car.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in training now, and you will be all over the four borough, learning the ins and outs of the MTA and the different yards. I'm in the division A, and I am normally in the Bronx, but go out to Brooklyn or Queens about once or twice a week. Sometime we have to meet up in Manhattan as well. We meet 7am-3pm and on road days we normally meet from 9am-5pm.

I can say it's like waking up to a new adventure while in school car, except when It is test time. Tomorrow I have my first yard practical. Wish me luck!

Edited by ErikNYC

Just be ready. Start memorizing your radio codes to get a heads start, once you get you rule book. Also, read the rules. You will feel like your in a boot camp the first few weeks, then it will start to level off. Keep your head up, and stay on top of yourself and you will do fine keeping up with the rest of the class. 

I will provide updates as I go along. Thank you.

Edited by ErikNYC

B Division is Queens, but it is also Coney Island, which is practically Staten Island. I second what Eric says, except I'm in a more recent training class so I've only just started. I'm enjoying it. It's very intense, but this is the way training should be - paid, no tuition, on the job, with a guaranteed job should you pass the training program. Eventually you should be able to pick a line relatively close to home, but that could take a few years. It's all about keeping your head down, learning the system, paying your dues and earning seniority.

There will be about 20 questions on signal test, but you don't know which ones, so you have to know them all! That includes lighted signals radio codes, signs and markings etc.. 

Now there's 25 questions on the test lol. 15 multiple, 10 written... and two sperate signal tests in all. :angry:

Just go my letter in the mail 2 days ago to report to 180 Livingston for medical and paperwork on 9/11/15. I would like to know how soon will they call me after reporting to 180 Livingston that day? Also is this going to be an all day process?

List number 44xx

Just go my letter in the mail 2 days ago to report to 180 Livingston for medical and paperwork on 9/11/15. I would like to know how soon will they call me after reporting to 180 Livingston that day? Also is this going to be an all day process?

List number 44xx

Get there early, not on time, and you should be out of there by 10:30. Have all your paperwork ready.

Yea ,definitely get there early. .most likely it's your application they sent you that they need back.along with everything paperwork needed including dispositions if ever arrested. .then they will take a urine test and off you go till they call you back..I'm waiting for the callback ..i was there on 9/2

@k423, hey so you got a letter to come in and your list number is 44XX? Wow i thouht they were only up to like 41XX. Hope this mean they will call as many as possible up to 4691!

you guys be on the look out for that letter, anyone knows when is the next class?

im a little bit nervous as well, ive been working in the hospital for almost 10 years and build up a lot of senority,vacation and sick time here..the pay sucks but i do have a normal life style m-f with some OT here and there...i make $21 per hour i know the MTA pays way better but that comes with a lot of sacraficing as well..i just hope im doing the right thing being 38 years old..with my pay now i cant even buy a dam house ..my wife makes barly anything as well..so i might just go in with my heads up and dont look back and beat this fear of mines smh

Edited by tprashad0719

Thanks everyone. But I would really like to get an estimate on the call back time after your first visit to Livingston St(9/11/15). I have a vaction already planned and paid for coming up Oct 10-17 and wanted to know do you guys think they will be calling me back before then?

List # 44xx

Thanks man, I'm really exited when I see all of you guys who are waiting to open up that mail box and find and envelope with an MTA logo on it inviting us to come over to 180 Livingston St to begin process to be hired at a Train Operator. @mikeems1 @tprashad0719. I think we WILL begin 2016 with a new career.