Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question guys,what are good shoes for training? Do they provide this? Letter states wear blue pants with blue shirt ..also wear shoes or boots ..best place to get a plain blue shirt mta requires?

Wear comfortable shoes, preferably black. you will be going to the shoe store during the first week. You will be doing a lot of walking before you get to the shoe store. When you go get your boots wear heavy socks. One of the many lessons I've learned in my time as a bus and train operator is wool socks are your best friend. Train cabs are cold in the winter and hot in the summer wool is the best thing for keeping your feet warm and dry in the winter and dry in the summer. Good luck to all the guys coming in. It's overwhelming at first; but you will fall in to the flow. There are all types of personalities and this is especially true with Schoolcar TSS's. You are now in a paramilitary organization respect the title and bear in mind you don't know anything. Be on time ( in transit on time is 20 minutes early) and study everyday.

Just wear black shoes (not sneakers) for the time being. You will not walk any tracks until you have been issued proper footwear, so your class will take a trip to the shoe truck first before you need shoes with any specific safety features.

The boots take a while to break in, my best advice on that is to try and wear them for short walks on your days off, it really does help get them broken in a lot. If the only time you wear them is in 8 hour spurts at work, your feet will be hurting by the end of the first week. They do get better (a little) but best to ease the transition if you have the option. Also get the inserts (Dr. Scholls) or other they will help too.

As for lateness, it's never encouraged and never OK, but once you are placed in your smaller class (about 10 or so) exchange phone numbers with your classmates and, if they are comfortable with it, your TSS's. It may save you a write up one day if you are legitimately late for a valid reason (IE got on a train that was scheduled to arrive on time, got caught up in signal problems, and got there 25 minutes late). At least this way your class and your TSS's will know where you are and wait for you rather than consider you AWOL and go on with the rest of the day.

@Tprashad, most people buy Huffy tool bags from Home Depot for $30-50. The bigger the better. Mine is 21" long, I think, and was $40. Lots of compartments for tools and open areas for books, notebooks, etc. They discourage backpacks because we're supposed to carry our bags in our hands while crossing tracks and platforms (a TA employee was killed a few years ago when his backpack got hooked on a passing train while he was strapped to it, I think). The idea is that if a passing train snags our bag it should fly out of our hands, but we stay safe). You can use the included strap while traveling and then carry it by the handles in the yard. Also, having equipment and tools strapped to your back while standing on a subway train or bus makes pickpockets a lot easier than when the bag is in front of you, and you are responsible for all the tools/books/equipment the TA issues to you.

In any case you can wait until you start and get recommendations in person. No need to order anything online or buy something very expensive.

The Home Depot bag is primarily carried with both handles like a bowling bag. It does have one long strap you can use to put it around your shoulder. It's not a backpack. Some people do wear backpacks and take them off and hold it by the strap when they're on platforms or tracks, but that's not what they tell you to do. And I would be concerned about theft of backpack contents when I'm wearing the backpack on the train or bus, plus it's easy to bump into people wearing a backpack.

@runnningonrails, i will be away on Vac and heading out for 20 hour drive. Have you called Ms. Rivera or planning on to this week? i was wondering if you can reach outt o her as well for an update. So far no one picked up phone for me today.

Thanks!

ok guys, i have to report on 10/26 to HR orientation @ TWU/LOCAL 100 union hall 195 Montague street..is this far from 180 livingston because i will be taking the F train since this is closer to my house compared to 2,3,4,5 trains...i have to report here for 2 days and then to TO yard induction which is the same address so 3 days ..

do anyone know where i can purchase the required shirt to wear for these days? so im guessing after these 3 days they will let use know where we are going to be trained?