Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok guys, i have to report on 10/26 to HR orientation @ TWU/LOCAL 100 union hall 195 Montague street..is this far from 180 livingston because i will be taking the F train since this is closer to my house compared to 2,3,4,5 trains...i have to report here for 2 days and then to TO yard induction which is the same address so 3 days ..

do anyone know where i can purchase the required shirt to wear for these days? so im guessing after these 3 days they will let use know where we are going to be trained?

Just find any shirt and pants as close to what they are asking. You will not be the only person out of uniform, and the staff will be happy you look presentable. You will see people arrive with jeans and a baseball cap like they are entitled to the job, not knowing you must earn it. I found my shirt for $15 at H&M, the another for around the same price. We wore the same shirt for two weeks, without thinking twice. Your there to learn and become a TO. You will have your clothes by the second week. After three days at Livingston, you will end up at PS 248 for about an additional four days. then you will break off into classes, and meet at whichever train station is on your schedule, when you receive it on the last day at PS 248.

The school car hours are anywhere from 7-3PM, and 9-5PM Monday-Friday, once you start. Just remember this phrase... It gets worst and then it get better (A TSS stated that, and he is right!).

I take my signal test tomorrow, and the I start posting in two week.... :)

@Erik, good luck on the signals exam! It's got to be the most stressful part of the whole school car experience. We're all rooting for you.

Re hiring, Ms. Rivera and others in her position most likely aren't comfortable and aren't even authorized to make hiring predictions.

My own take is that there will likely be steady hiring for a while, maybe skipping a month or two for Christmas holiday logistics.

There are a lot of older train operators retiring and many more who are eligible to retire and could leave at any time. There is also a substantial failure rate during school car, not just from failing the signals exam. I spoke to people in one class that lost 4 people for various non-academic reasons (40%) before the signals exam even took place.

So the TA needs to hire hundreds of train operators on a steady basis, as long as it has the funds to do so. School car is running at full tilt, so hiring likely won't accelerate, but it shouldn't slow down either expect for a possible holiday siesta (1-2 month break from new school car classes).

hi all ; what is the drop out raTE OR FAILURE RATE IN SCHOOL CAR. I was in school car 15 years ago and it was about 20% .

Drop out rate as far as we were told is about 30-35%. Which is about right considering my induction class of 30 T/O dropped to 17 after the second signals test.

@mikeems1, wow, I'm really exited to see everyone sharing their experience and everyone staying positive. This keeps our hopes in the rise for the future. I think we will be reached according to what I've heard. More and more T/O's keep retiring and they need to fill in those spots. Hopefully soon we can join them @mikeems1.

Need to know all of them, about 120 lighted and miscellaneous signals....for what if seen they really focus on a few really important ones, but every test they give are different. You need to know and understand everyone verbatim. You can't try to define them in your own words cause they will mark them wrong even if it means the same. The way they give it to you is the way they want it answered and there is no second chances.

ok so guys, after orientation etc, we will be split up by 10 or so and we will report to different yards? so we are not sticking to one yard for example coney island yard? we will be moving to numerous yards? how long is training usually? for example if my start date is 10/26 when do i expect training to be finished? and again..training can be from 7-3 pm or 9-5 pm with weekends off? just to verify

@tprashad0719 you'll be training the 1st 3 months at different yards throughout the system (Coney Island Yard/Jamaica Yard/ENY Yard/Concourse Yard/Pitkin Yard). After 3 months I believe you'll be in the YX program where you'll be working strictly on Yards only on your own moving trains on your own uncoupling trains and preparing trains for put-ins (that's where they give you 45 min to prepare a Train for Customer Service),wash trains as well etc...then at the end you'll be doing Road Posting. That's when you post on every single B division line. Including the Franklin Ave Shuttle. Keep in mind some Train Operators don't like to take students even if they're getting payed 2 hrs overtime just to Train you because they're afraid of students making mistakes . T/O's I believe gotta post twice on every line to get to learn the routes and signals. Throughout all this they'll be midterms and exams given, yard practicals and road practicals as well. Best of luck bro, you're gonna be alright. Just study, take your time and be humble....you'll be operating trains on your own with passengers around July next year.