Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Thanks bro,appreciate it..i hope I do well bro because I'm giving my current job my notice next week ..i hope I get the B division as well since I reside in Queens,

I hope I can drive to these yards with parking available because I take care of my daughter so time is a big issue if I take the train to get to yards,postings etc

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tprashad, it is very difficult and can be discouraging, but there are tremendous opportunities here. Lots of room for advancement and pensions don't exist hardly anywhere else for most of us. From people I've spoken with it seems to take 3-4 years to get the line and tour you want, and things improve a lot from there. 1st year is very difficult. Some people actually enjoy the variety of posting on different lines for a few years, because of the variety and opportunity for a lot of OT.

@tprashad we seem to be on the same boat with the exception that you have a start date. I'm still far from that I think.. Right now I went for the drug test on 9/10/15 then yesterday I had to bring in proof that I paid a ticket and letter showing I graduated high school. I cant see getting a call or letter and actually starting soon. Another obstacle I have is probably being put on a medical hold. This is my dream job and should be an easy choice for me but I have a family and baby coming soon. @mikeems1 thanks for the encouragement im just afraid of the unknown with this signal test. I tend to forget things when it comes to an exam. but we will see where this takes me.

how is school car going for you Matt? whats the ups and downs so far for you

how is the traveling?

@tprashad we seem to be on the same boat with the exception that you have a start date. I'm still far from that I think.. Right now I went for the drug test on 9/10/15 then yesterday I had to bring in proof that I paid a ticket and letter showing I graduated high school. I cant see getting a call or letter and actually starting soon. Another obstacle I have is probably being put on a medical hold. This is my dream job and should be an easy choice for me but I have a family and baby coming soon. @mikeems1 thanks for the encouragement im just afraid of the unknown with this signal test. I tend to forget things when it comes to an exam. but we will see where this takes me.

trust me i hear you bro, you should be cleared soon with a start date..my problem is i have a job right now ,,but the pay isnt that great but i do actually have a life and time to spend with my family..i know if i start schoolcar etc..i can kiss that all goodbye eeven when i start to work as a to..MTA runs your life from there..but this is something i really have to think about..guess i am just thinking ahead

@trapshad I also have a job right now and with the MTA I will actually lose a few bucks. I'm currently in healthcare been in this field for about 18 years so its a big decision for me but I'm going to wait as long as I can. I wonder if I fall into next year and ask dcas to reinstate my name how long will it take for them to call me again.

same here, i work currently as northshore-lij but i am no where of the starting rate of a T/O ..me and my wife works and my daughter is in daycare..it will be so tough with school car schedule to drop my daughter and pick her up..my head hurts just thinking of this

Edited by tprashad0719

@Tprashad, it's good. Very difficult physically and intellectually, much harder than I expected. Lots of travel means early days, waking up at 3-4 am.

It's a military-like culture, which is a challenge for those of us used to more casual workplaces.

For those of you worried about the signals exam but haven't yet started, don't panic. But start reading the first few chapters of the rule book when you're actually sworn in. Start making flash cards and memorizing at that point. The rule book is the bible for TA operations.

@mikeems1 I'm looking at the bigger picture when it comes to the MTA. it would be a 2nd pension so it is well worth the struggle at the beginning. losing weekends is definitely not forever so I can live with that for the next 3-4 years. There will always be other time. I can easily work a night shift if I have to just so I can spend days with the family and friends. I think its more about being jobless is what scares me. @mtahopefulmatt what is it that physically makes it difficult ? waking up at 3 or 4am I understand but other than that what else is there ? I wish there was a book on what they teach not so much to get ahead but to make the decision easier.

What's physically taxing is climbing aboard and descending the train, walking in the yard (sort of like walking through building rubble while carrying 20 lbs of equipment and climbing over electrified rails) and carrying 40-50 lbs of equipment in my tool bag to the different job sites, up and down many flights of stairs. Nothing impossible, nothing that's not worth doing. Just physically demanding.

@Tprashad, sometimes large institutional employers (like hospitals) will give you a leave of absence. Consider asking for that when you're given a job offer with Transit. 3-month leave should be enough (from Transit start date of school car).

My class started with ten, and we are down to eight. One fail the practical the other resigned due to family issues.

I passed my signal test!!! It was straight forward, and everything we were taught. The hardest part is waiting for this day to arrive, and obtaining 100%.

Huge relief!!

Instead of the rule book is there another source we can use in the mean time to get a head start?

All the yards that you will be training in ..it's easier to drive to them or train ? Because bronx is about 3 hours with the train from me I believe

You can practice the radio codes and audible codes, but wait until school car starts. You want to be on the same page as you instructor and classmates. You instructor leads, and backs you up, when the test come around. It's all about what and how they taught you.

It's harder to find parking within any of the B Division yards until you're permanent, but some will let you park there. If not, you can find parking on the street within a few blocks or worst case pay at a lot. Probably no more difficult than parking near LIJ. I think 207th Street yard in upper Manhattan was the hardest for people to find street parking at (they definitely wouldn't let probationary employees park there). People have no trouble parking on the street at Coney Island.

@trapshad I also have a job right now and with the MTA I will actually lose a few bucks. I'm currently in healthcare been in this field for about 18 years so its a big decision for me but I'm going to wait as long as I can. I wonder if I fall into next year and ask dcas to reinstate my name how long will it take for them to call me again.

I too came from the health care field, I started in 1997. For me the change in lifestyle is a blessing, it's like re-inventing myself.

Expect to work weekends for ten years or more, not 3-4 years. lol

Edited by ErikNYC