Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mike, lots of guys with beards as Train Operators. Some people don't like facial hair but it's quite common at the TA and you should be fine with it. Re the health questions, losing your job should you no longer be medically qualified to perform it is a real risk. They won't keep you on as a train operator and pay you at the T/O rate if you're not medically qualified to perform the job. That's different than being out sick for a few days.

im going to make the jump and not look back, i am nervous as hell to see people failing and getting booted due to failing practicals and signal exams..but i have to give this 100% and get my body ready for the early AM travels..i drove to work %99 PERCENT of the time and i hope it will continue lol if not i will just have to wake up EXTRA EXTRA early

I haven't received that call yet and will call them later on today. I'm just afraid with a kid and one on the way I don't know what the right move will be but I think if I get the call I'm taking that leap. I have many friends that work law enforcement and ems and they work the midnight shift in order to be able to spend time with their families. if this would have happened lets say 2 years ago it would have been an easy choice.

same here, i have a 3 year old daughter which i spend a lot of time with due to my current schedule and hours..weekends off..but im looking at the long run..i can actually pay a morgage and have my wife stay home incase we decide to have another baby because currently with her and my salary will equal to me just working for MTA excluding Overtime

Yea, so its an obvious choice for you. Good luck and with everything you will have going for you I don't think you have to worry about the practical's or signal  exams. With dedication you always get what you want. I cant wait for you to start I will be asking tons of questions knowing how tough this decision was or you.

my problem right now is that i got to comfortable at my current job and build up a lot of senority..i have a lot of vacation time and sick time which i know i wont no long have and will need to start from the bottom again..but i been thinking and killing my brains out just thinking about it but here currently there is no where to move up the ladder..im just stuck here in the office like a robot..i just have to get use to it..i figure 3 years into the job we should be comfortable or those who are on the job now can chime in..

when can you actually be out of the mercy of the crew office and when can you actually pick the lines you would want to work with?

yea I hear you. In my situation I have moved up a little. 15 years of seniority. If I need a vacation or a few days I just say im going to be off. But it seems like I hit a wall and operating a train is something I always wanted to do. I actually had a conversation with a director here about me possibly leaving and I asked if it didn't work out if how hard it would be to get back and she said not hard at all.