Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

You won't be out of the mercy of the crew office for at least a few years. But then again, I've talked to a few ppl who took this test, got called a year before me and they have a pick job now. Next week i get my first pick ever. Won't get much. Probably just be able to pick my days off,shift and possibly vacation time. Who knows.

Edited by WestEndMan

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys, question

-during your first week of orientation we will choose our divisions? now say i pick division B and during training we will be within ONLY b division yards? we wouldnt have to travel to A divisions yards? or do we still need to go to the BX even though we choose B division during training?

hey guys, question

-during your first week of orientation we will choose our divisions? now say i pick division B and during training we will be within ONLY b division yards? we wouldnt have to travel to A divisions yards? or do we still need to go to the BX even though we choose B division during training?

If you pick B division, you only go to B division Yards,  but Concourse Yard a B division Yard is in the Bronx right by Bedford Park Blvd If you know the Bronx ,also  207 Yard is in northern Manhattan pretty far from Brooklyn.  

Edited by Etrain

Thanks man,I actually start on 10/26

Ok Cool dude, Just know that you will encounter mostly good people down here looking to help you, so just like here just ask for help and you will get it.  Good luck on your training.   

@Erik, hopefully some new letters will go out before the New Year. obviously some people went for drug tests and still waiting for their medicals. so maybe they called in the numbers that they needed for remainder of the year? Erik do you know how many people per class about?

you will soon be smoking that cigar when you receive that letter, ift was the best feeling to know i took this test in 2009 and now received a letter..my heads been pounding me lately because im quite nervous when i start and plus i put my notice with my current job so its like no turning back now for me..i have to do this

They generally hire 40-50 train operators a month, and 50-60 conductors. We're grouped together administratively and enter school car together but the classes separate a few days later.

Yes, anticipate a lot of hiring due to retirements, promotions, and a significant percentage of train operators who don't make it out of school car or probation.