Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea i get what you saying. Its so meased up that mta makes much less as a train operator than amtrak, nynj path, lirr, and metro. Really sucks. Especially knowing path engineers as they are called have a short trip from ny to nj and only carries 6 cars. Where nyc train operatora carry 10+ cars

@tprashad0719...Definitely my brother. I sure have alot of knowledge about the job. The reason why is is because Im working with the MTA already. I'm currently a Conductor and I'm so ready to move up to the front and try it out. If you need any additional information that I know the answer to it, I can sure help you out.@mikeems1, I called Ms Rivera and also spoke to Ms Roman, very nice person, she said we should be getting reached soon, but couldn't predict how soon. She just said last person hired was 4065 I believe and I called DCAS they said last person certified was 4691. Ms Roman said that they will continue hiring as more T/O's get promoted to TSS/Dispatchers as well as alot of them retiring. Top pay for T/O according to the new contract is $34.50 an hour. So hopefully me and mikeems1 can make it soon and hopefully find that letter in our mailbox. Good luck once again to @tprashad0719, your starting date is getting closer brother....you're gonna be alright.

@runningonrails, thanks man hope so too. I applied for next conductor exam just in case as well. Im just wondering sonce they called a lot of ppl in lately will that be that last round of letters flr this year. But guess we will have to wait and see.

@runningonrails, thats good to know your a conductor, my brother is a conductor as well..i hardly see him to ask him questions..i hope to do good in my training..lately ive been hearing a lot of negative feedbacks from people failing schoolcar..but im trying not to think about it

School car is no joke. Much more difficult than I anticipated. It's like a marathon - focus on being prepared, on time, with all your equipment, every day. It can be overwhelming but it helps to focus on getting past the next practical or written exam, rather than getting too nervous about later tests.

Also, try to discipline yourself not to use your cell phone in any manner (including wearing earbuds) when not on break or lunch. Some TSS and superintendents will tolerate occasional use or give a verbal warning - others may file a written reprimand, which is bad news for a probationary employee, and they have the right to send you home (unpaid) for the day.

The other thing I've heard from old timers is not to get complacent when you're yard posting - you'll have lots of time between yard moves, and you should use it to study for the second signals exam, and to study the rule book and bulletins. Their pet peeve is probationary train operators getting too comfortable, surfing the web on their phones, watching TV, playing pool, while in the crew room between yard moves. You may be in the break room but you're on company time and you're expected to be studying while waiting for assignments.

I'm in B Division and we've been to most yards and terminals in Brooklyn and Queens, as well as Concourse Yard in the Bronx (near Bronx Zoo).

The unofficial home base for B Division is the Coney Island yard, simply because it's so big and so close to the big subway terminal just down the road. We might be at school car once a week if that much.

First practical (cuts and adds) is in two weeks.

Then a midterm exam the following week, then the first signals exam at the end of October. So this is a make or break month, and we're all stressed out.

Assuming we make it past the signals exam, it will be yard posting for most of the winter.

Re driving, I'll be driving this afternoon to Coney Island. That yard and school car aren't especially difficult for parking. Driving does take much less time from Long Island. Parking at yards like East NY and 207th St (upper Manhattan) is more challenging, and sometimes requires using a pay lot. Jamaica Yard is a real challenge for parking, because it's in a very crowded residential neighborhood (Kew Gardens, not really Jamaica) and many non-MTA Long Islanders drive there, park on the streets, and take the subway from there to the city.

No, it's a full 8 hour shift. And my understanding is that you're never sent home early. You're kept on site while on company time for your full shift, so you're immediately available for anything they require done. Sort of like firemen stay at the firehouse ready for emergencies during their entire shift, getting paid full salary, but there may not be a fire or medical emergency during that time. A benefit of this is that jobs can frequently come up several hours into your shift, while you're waiting around/studying, etc., and now you're getting overtime because you were waiting 3-4 hours and just picked up an 8-hour run.

so just that i understand initial process. you go down for drug test and leave wait for a call back for the medical and the day of medical they interview and everything and that day after all is good you get sworn in? what kind of questions are thrown at you in the interview?

thats right Mikeem, when called back for medical that is a whole day process..

during the interview they go over your 21 page and honestly i was asking the questions...if they see something wrong with the 21 page they will go over that with you and have you sign a lot of paper work as well..the interview was not bad..its basically your hired and there explaining your salary and instructions of orientation etc