Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cool, good to know..i never thought during training it would be swing shifts.now i know what to look forward to..oh joy smh ..i guess its a good thing to get use to the bizarre hours

3 to 11 is usually just for 1 day for fire school

cool, good to know..i never thought during training it would be swing shifts.now i know what to look forward to..oh joy smh ..i guess its a good thing to get use to the bizarre hours

What it is certain classes & training are around pm times it's what's convenient for the instructors today is fire school evacuation training so it's pm that part in the yard I never seen open early

@mikeems1, that's good that you that you applied for the Conductor exam, always good to have options open. I think they're gonna continue calling in people. The good thing is that they cancelled that Open Competitive exam for Train Operator in December to keep hiring and give opportunity to the people that are still on the list. But we just gotta keep crossing our fingers. @tprashad0719, that's great to have a family member on the job, do you know what line he works on? And did you file for the Conductor exam just to have that as a back up? Keep your mind positive that you're gonna pass bro, I'm pretty sure you're gonna be fine. Just gotta learn the signals very well. A little studying at home for about an hour everyday should be enough. Other than that, just stay focused, take your time and follow instructions. I know you're gonna be fine my brother, you too @mikeems1.

Today was my last day with my instructors. The class all went out for lunch at a local diner, to celebrate. I thought this day would never come... Monday I start posting.

Don't just focus on the signal test, when there are other tests that can make you and break you. People have failed before and after the signal test in my class. Try and take in everything that gets thrown at you equally, because there is a lot more to retain than just signals. Those practicals can be intimidating, and it's not fun at all.... but I made it this far.

I also applied for the conductors exam as a backup. :P

Hi all, sorry to be posting this if it already has been answered. The thread is pretty long. I am supposed to be starting as a TO 10/26/15. I have a baby on the way due in December. Will I be able to take time off, FMLA? How long is the training? How long for the health insurance and prescriptions to start? I might be getting off topic but Sanitation also sent me a letter for the initial physical and was thinking of waiting for that, though I know they won't start hiring from this list until next year probably. Thanks for all your help!

congratz Erik, in how many months total you been in training?

practicals are signals, and....? im trying to get a head start before my start date..so far ive been studying the radio codes and lingos..read the rule book here and there

Thank you. It's been two months.

2 months and your done with all your exam?

No, I have to take the second signal test in January, then the final exam and road practical in February. I'm done with the classroom work, and meeting up with my classmates and instructors. Now I'm just posting, and applying what I learned over the past two months.

It has only been two months, but it seem longer...

Oh ok ,so you have to keep studying. .good luck bro keep us posted...where your posting at ?

Yup, you have to keep studying. I'm posting at various places, and new location everyday for the next two weeks. Then I move on to yard posting.

dam everything you learn in 2 months now you have to apply it during posting? who teaches you posting..co workers? in 2 months of training  you learn how to move and stop a train? or do you learn this during posting? ..i feel 2 months and they throw you into posting seems quick

dam everything you learn in 2 months now you have to apply it during posting? who teaches you posting..co workers? in 2 months of training  you learn how to move and stop a train? or do you learn this during posting? ..i feel 2 months and they throw you into posting seems quick

As fast as that sounds, it's not really.

The only way you will learn to master the craft is by practicing. If all you do is read the book, study, and memorize, you may well have a ton of book knowledge, but without hands on field knowledge, it is useless. You need both to succeed down here. Posting is where you will practice and reinforce what you have learned, and you will also see some of the pitfalls and learn things you should and should not do. You will also begin to get familiarity with the system which only comes in time. Pretty much every line and location in the system has at least a handful of "quirks" that are unique to it, or that are slightly different than what you'd expect based on book knowledge. Why? Because the system is very old and wasn't all built at the same time. It is imperative that you recognize, learn, and come to understand these quirks as knowing them will make you better at your job.

Edited by SubwayGuy