Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Matt. This is a serious job. It can be fun. But when it comes to learning the job and actually operating a train, whether it's in the yard or in passenger service, you have to really know your stuff. Mistakes have to be minimal. So many things can go wrong in the yard. Splitting switches, not doing safety stops, forgetting to set or release handbrakes. On the road, taking a wrong lineup, station overruns, signal overruns...etc. Lately there have been what's called "signal flashes" or bad track circuits. Which cause signals to malfunction and can throw a train into emergency. The main thing is you take your time, study and operate according to school car. Then everything will come with experience. It takes time.

In my experience in B Div, if we are at a yard, AM's start at 7am, after about 2 1/2 hrs in a classroom trailer, take a break, then hands on training. It all depends on what the schedule calls for that day. I spent alot of time in Jamaica yard. There were days, we'd show up, have a signal quiz, take a break and meet back on a train to learn the lesson of the day. Some days no classroom, just show up, and a train would be our classroom for the day. Again, it all depends on what the schedule calls for.

More hands on than classroom training, but it varies day to day. And much of the hands on training depends on the availability of trains. At every yard there are classrooms for lecture and review. Most class sessions will be at train yards. Much less at the actual school than I expected.

Train time is precious, so if/when a train is available your instructor will seize the moment and you'll work on the train as long as you can. (Until another class needs the train or it's needed for passenger service, typically as rush hour approaches). It's a lesson in life at Transit because your lunch break may be pushed out or eliminated entirely. That's totally legitimate because you're paid for a full 8 hour day (plus any OT you incur, which is minimal during training) even though you work less than 8 hours per day.

You are given all the material you need. DO NOT GO LOOKING ON THE INTERNET for material. Unless it comes from your instructors or transit, don't trust it. A classmate of mine brought in material he got off the Internet. Completely wrong. It was old stuff that is no longer used.

Edited by WestEndMan

yes, even the rule book can be outdated, because it hasn't been updated in ten years or so. Your instructor will provide you with the relevant updates and everything you need to study. Figure out the way to study that works best for you once you've started. Flash cards are very popular. Some people do study groups. Even during the class day students quiz each other and instructors quiz the students.

Thanks guys, i appreciate you guys taking the time out of your busy schedules to give us updates and pointers as we hope to join you guys one day as well. It goes a long way and i hope TO's/Instructors help us as well same way!

Huffy tool bags from Home Depot are the most popular and cost-effective bags. Try to get the largest you can find (24" long?) that doesn't get you into the deluxe "foreman" bag category. They have an easily detachable strap (you can wear it by the strap whenever you're not actually walking along/across tracks), lots of handy interior compartments, and shouldn't cost more than $50. Don't get anything fancier.

@emcheng, Good luck with the baby! i'm sure the guys on here can give you better info. but i believe you can also differ your start date but not sure how the process works exactly. i'm sure you will get muc more feed back shorly. whats you appx list num?

thats a tough choice, i would take the advice of mikeen and see if you can start another date,maybe the last class dec?? i wouldnt chance the sanitation because they can call you way later down the line where you can already have some senority within the MTA and maybe you can transfer to sanitation ? but have city time already in your side?

for those on the job whats a good BAG to have for this job and training...can someone recommend one to me because i just want to buy ONE bag and get it over with

You will be buying a new bag once your finish school car.

Once I finished classes I purchased a backpack/duffle bag. I was tired of holding my Husky bag everywhere, but it was great for the abuse we gave it during the class sessions.

This is the backpack/duffel bag I purchased:

http://www.rei.com/product/883436/timbuk2-jaunt-pack

I'm selling my Husky bag if anyone wants it, still like new.

Edited by ErikNYC