Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Day all this thread has had a lot of great information and I appreciate everyone's insight and info. I have currently a B Division conductor for about 2 years and I am on the list for this exam. My list # is 46xx, I wanted to know if I was called for T/O would o have to resign as a conductor or would they accept me as a promotion? I have heard various answera to this, but never a concrete one. Of anyone has an answer to this please let me know. Thank you and Good Luck to all the future T/O'so on this thread.

Good day everyone, how's everyone been? @Bdiv238,welcome to this forum, I am also a Conductor on the B division as well, waiting for T/O to call me. I'm also in the 46XX. They will look at it as a promotion in a way, because they will check your current record as a Conductor. Though you have to resign from your current title and start all over again with the paperwork.They will see you as if you were coming from the street too.

To the conductors waiting to be called on this open competitive list, I defer to your greater experience in Transit. I would caution that the training is much harder than I expected and people do flunk out. You may risk a lot if you resign your position as a conductor in order to start T/O training and you don't have reinstatement rights.

Good day everyone, how's everyone been? @Bdiv238,welcome to this forum, I am also a Conductor on the B division as well, waiting for T/O to call me. I'm also in the 46XX. They will look at it as a promotion in a way, because they will check your current record as a Conductor. Though you have to resign from your current title and start all over again with the paperwork.They will see you as if you were coming from the street too.

You should be able to go back to your previous title, if the worst happened.

Edited by ErikNYC

@mtahopefullmatt, thanks for the info brother. You're right, gotta be careful. @Dainty2200 thanks for the info as well. @mikeems1. We do work with them regularly. But keep in mind we pick different jobs/tours/and days off when it's time for picking. So you may not have the same T/O everyday. Me personally, I work with 4 different T/O's every week. But when you're new on the job, you're assign to Extra Extra List, which means you work diferent jobs everyday with different C/R's too.

@mikeems1...also keep in mind on a daily basis most of the time you and the T/O will report and clear at the same time sometimes the train operators job starts a little earlier than the conductors job because they have Put-ins at the beginning, meaning they prepare a Train for service and the Conductor just picks up the train at the station at the time of departure, some Conductor jobs may also have to be part of the Put-in at yards along with the T/O.

Not that easy. You can easily go back to your title under promotion not that easy under open competitive.

I have people in my class and sister classes, and their title is waiting for them, if the unthinkable happens, they have one year to return to their former titles.

Yes thats under promotion correct. Because if you are a conductor and take the position of a train operator under open competitive i was told you cant just decide that you want to go back to your old position just like that. I was told if you took train operator as a promotion that is the only way you can go back tonyour old title within 1 year.

They considered me as a promotional and they said I can go back to conductor.  I messaged someone in the Union and they said I can go back.  I just entered on the forms that I worked with the MTA as a conductor.  As long as you finish your probation as a conductor, you're good.

I knew that on promotional exams you can return to your old title within one year, but the answer seems less clear if you're starting a new title through an open- competitive exam. Given that experienced conductors make almost as much as train operators (the big pay spread is in starting salaries), and much of the appeal of work in Transit lies in the pension and benefits, I wouldn't change titles from conductor to train operator if I didn't have definite reinstatement rights.

As i said before i dont think you can be a conductor and take the open competitive exam as train operator and its considered as a promotion. I strongly believe you will have to give up your position as a conductor to be a train operator. I believe the only way you can be a conductor and become a train operator and go back to a conductor within 1 year is if you take the train operator exam under a promotional exam.

The way you can get a definite answer is by calling the union and asking for the upgrade fund department 7187808700. I asked this question myself because i am a bus operator. Im on the list for train operator and because of the answer they gave me i applied for train operator (promotion)

Dainty, thanks for posting the union #. I think this is a real danger zone. I would recommend that anyone move to train operator on a promotional list, but there's too much risk and stress if you'll be "on the street" (unemployed, unable to return to previous title) if you fail T/O training. A significant percentage of candidates do wash out in every training cycle - it can be 10%, it could be 30%, but it's a real risk.

It depends on the person. The training is very intense and operating a train is nothing like driving a car/van/bus or truck. There's a lot of mechanical and electrical work involved in the training that not everyone is suited for or has prior experience doing. It's a whole new language and thousands of facts you're learning and trying to memorize within a few months. Some people cannot devote as much time to study or memorization as they would like, due for example to family commitments.

I hear that ,my starting day is coming soon and I've been really stressed out knowing there a chance something like this would happen but I will give it all I have ..it's been in my head knowing I'm leaving a job to do this and myself is married with a 3 year old and everyday it crosses my mind what if...

Thanks @ PATCOman, I really appreciate the info very much because beign that I am currently a Conductor, had a small fear that if a get called for Train Operator under the Open Competitive list I would not be able to go back to Conductor if the worst was to happen. Someone from the Union told me they rather just put me back to my previous title instead of paying someone else to get trained. @tprashad0719, you're gonna be alright my brother, just think positive and everything else will como along the way. @mikeems1, let's keep our fingers crossed.