Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stressful past few days I passed my signal exam & practical today it was allot of built up pressure but the test was easy all you have to do take in everything they tell you read & study make index cards to study it all has paid off so far for me next week I have my final yard practical then after next week I'll be on my own yard posting then yx. Don't waste time guys time starts flying FAST!

I'm actually stressing the signal exams as we speak, today was my 4th day and we reported to ps248 and was told regarding this signal test getting 100% on both ...I will definitely make my index cards and also was told not to study the signals in the rules and regulations book

Mr cka,where do you park when you go to 248? Was told today we are not supposed to park in the lot

Tprashad the reason they say that about the rules book is because it's outdated & rules have been adjusted by bulletins I park on stillwell on the other side of the park it's right there I get there between 6-6:30 & I always find a parking

Anyone had miss Murray as there tss?

I had Ms Murray she is very tuff but fair she's very good & knowledgeable listen to her our class started as 10 were still 10 now with other classes having lost people absorb what she says she'll tell you she's going to show you how to be a train operator not just pass a test

Edited by MrCka

I had Ms Murray she is very tuff but fair she's very good & knowledgeable listen to her our class started as 10 were still 10 now with other classes having lost people absorb what she says she'll tell you she's going to show you how to be a train operator not just pass a test

Do you have Ms Murray as your TSS?

Do you have Ms Murray as your TSS?

Yes I did they took her away from us last week we had our signal test this week this was our last week with our other TSS too because after next week we go yard posting then yx If you have her don't be intimidated just listen & absorb

Hey my brother...@mikeems1. That's great news. Hopefully we can get that letter soon. @tprashad0719, she's good bro. TSS Murray is strict, but she teaches very good. You need instructors like that to become a good T/O. I hope you're doing good and that you may pass this training. Good luck to all of you as well who are in School Car/YX program or posting. Be safe out there everybody. Let's keep crossing fingers @mikeems1.

OK here is THE final definitive answer (again) since people are still going back and forth about this issue.

As PATCOman said, you can be hired off an open competitive C/R list and and (later) an open competitive T/O list, and have it be treated similar to a promotion. If you don't like it, fail a signal exam, can't stop overrunning stations or signals, or otherwise decide or are forced out of the T/O title, you absolutely 1000% have the option of going back provided you do so within your first year as a T/O, and that you passed probation as a C/R before you accepted appointment to T/O. This is all covered under RULE 9B in the first chapter of your rulebook, read it.

There is only once circumstance where promotion may actually backfire on an employee. It is difficult to explain but I will try. That is when the following happens:

-Employee in eligible title takes a promotional exam (#1 we'll call it).

-Employee in eligible title takes a second promotional exam (#2 we'll call it).

-Employee accepts promotion from exam #1 to new title. Their previous title was eligible for exam #2, but the new title they gained by being promoted from exam #1 is not.

-Employee is called from exam #2. In order to accept promotion to the title from exam #2, they must first accept an on paper demotion back to their original title since their new title from exam #1 is not eligible to promote to the title from exam #2.

In this exact circumstance, if the employee resigns or is demoted out of their title from exam #2, they would be ineligible to return to the title earned from exam #1 since they would have to return to their "previous title" in such an instance.

Case in point: Conductor takes the tower operator and train operator exams. Gets promoted to train operator, then called for tower operator. Since train operator does not promote to tower operator, if this person decides they want to be a tower operator, they will have to accept an on paper demotion back to conductor to go to tower operator. If they don't make it as a tower operator, they would then go back to conductor, and cannot go back to train operator.

The only other situation where someone can get hurt taking a promotion is if they do not complete probation in an eligible title.

Case in point: Cleaner promotes to conductor, then is hired open competitive as a train operator before completing conductor probation. If they can't make it as a train operator, they would go back to cleaner, not conductor, since they never completed probation as a conductor.

REMEMBER: These rules are specifically designed so they don't discourage people from taking promotions. However, the promotional lines must be adhered to at all times, and you must pass probation to establish permanent status in any title.

very good information, this is my last week on my current job..feeling nervous about starting school car..i hope i do well

OK here is THE final definitive answer (again) since people are still going back and forth about this issue.

As PATCOman said, you can be hired off an open competitive C/R list and and (later) an open competitive T/O list, and have it be treated similar to a promotion. If you don't like it, fail a signal exam, can't stop overrunning stations or signals, or otherwise decide or are forced out of the T/O title, you absolutely 1000% have the option of going back provided you do so within your first year as a T/O, and that you passed probation as a C/R before you accepted appointment to T/O. This is all covered under RULE 9B in the first chapter of your rulebook, read it.

There is only once circumstance where promotion may actually backfire on an employee. It is difficult to explain but I will try. That is when the following happens:

-Employee in eligible title takes a promotional exam (#1 we'll call it).

-Employee in eligible title takes a second promotional exam (#2 we'll call it).

-Employee accepts promotion from exam #1 to new title. Their previous title was eligible for exam #2, but the new title they gained by being promoted from exam #1 is not.

-Employee is called from exam #2. In order to accept promotion to the title from exam #2, they must first accept an on paper demotion back to their original title since their new title from exam #1 is not eligible to promote to the title from exam #2.

In this exact circumstance, if the employee resigns or is demoted out of their title from exam #2, they would be ineligible to return to the title earned from exam #1 since they would have to return to their "previous title" in such an instance.

Case in point: Conductor takes the tower operator and train operator exams. Gets promoted to train operator, then called for tower operator. Since train operator does not promote to tower operator, if this person decides they want to be a tower operator, they will have to accept an on paper demotion back to conductor to go to tower operator. If they don't make it as a tower operator, they would then go back to conductor, and cannot go back to train operator.

The only other situation where someone can get hurt taking a promotion is if they do not complete probation in an eligible title.

Case in point: Cleaner promotes to conductor, then is hired open competitive as a train operator before completing conductor probation. If they can't make it as a train operator, they would go back to cleaner, not conductor, since they never completed probation as a conductor.

REMEMBER: These rules are specifically designed so they don't discourage people from taking promotions. However, the promotional lines must be adhered to at all times, and you must pass probation to establish permanent status in any title.

Thank you very much Subway Guy for giving a clear and concise explanation to this question. I will go back and read the rule book and also begin to study for T/O training. I am hopeful that they will get to my list number on the open competitive list. If not i did sign up for the promotional exam that is coming up in December. 

Thank you very much Subway Guy for giving a clear and concise explanation to this question. I will go back and read the rule book and also begin to study for T/O training. I am hopeful that they will get to my list number on the open competitive list. If not i did sign up for the promotional exam that is coming up in December. 

Very good. Try to keep your sick time usage down too. They do look at that. When you're name comes up to be promoted, try to have at least half of the sick time you have been allotted since you were hired in your bank.

GM all ! Hope everyone is doing well. @Tprahad how you doing brother? @runningonrails still keeping my fingers crossed haha... What is starting pay P/H in school car? Medical benefits kick in after 90 days? does hourly rate increase after school? Last question is there night diff or shif diff for weekends? Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight!

Today we was in 207st yard,lots of walking with these shitty mta boots..might put some Dr sholls inserts to see if that helps..school car isn't no joke for what it is..to those yard posting..can you explain what your actually doing? Are you paired with an expert?

Mikeems, takes 90 days for benifets to kick in..during school car your paid 31.87 then in January your getting 2% raise then when you complete over 200 hours in road revenue I belive your getting 34-35 per hr excluding night differential

GM all ! Hope everyone is doing well. @Tprahad how you doing brother? @runningonrails still keeping my fingers crossed haha... What is starting pay P/H in school car? Medical benefits kick in after 90 days? does hourly rate increase after school? Last question is there night diff or shif diff for weekends? Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight!

starting pay: 31.87 / hour which is "yard rate". Will go up when you complete schoolcar to "starting road rate" (don't have this # off hand). After 231 road days, you progress to top pay which is 33.83. As previously mentioned, a raise is scheduled to go into effect on January 15, so your pay, whatever it is, will go up by 2% at that time.

Medical benefits kick in the first of the month that follows 90 days of service. Meaning if you're hired January 15, 90 days would be around April 15, so your benefits will start May 1.

Night diff applies to every minute work between 1800hrs (6:00PM) and 0559hrs (5:59AM). How much depends on the pay rate currently in effect for you. For train ops at full pay it's around $1.50 an hour. It's not a lot, but it helps. It also applies to all hours worked on the weekend (between 1800 hrs Friday and 0559 Monday morning).

Working weekends as well as PMs has its advantages. When i started having Sun/Sat off, it showed in my check. That night diff for working weekends might not be alot, but it does help. I'm also OPTO and CBTC qualified. Yes all in just over a year of being hired. Once i cleared probation, they signed me up for it all. So working Opto and Opto on weekends makes a good difference in your paycheck.

Edited by WestEndMan

Unfortunately for you, you have a WAY different experience than what i went through. I never had to take 2 signal exams or go through more posting in the yard after YX. If i remember correctly, I went back to class to prepare for the road and road posting. The new classes supposedly have more in depth training than i did.