Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two people from my class voluntarily quit before any testing because they wanted to go back to their old jobs. Five others (including me) washed out at different stages. Three left (out of ten who entered the program) after ten weeks. The program is doable but it's much harder than I anticipated, or I think most people realize.

I was. Embarrassing but true. Screwed up on first practical, on retake. Too damn nervous. Froze up.

I know how you feel.....I flamed out on the signals test. The good news is that, if you want, you can request that your list number be restored after a year.

No need to be embarrassed, I know the feeling. .it's not a job for everyone..im on a 3 month leave with my previous job ..i will see how I do on the practical and if I pass then the first signal exam

Definitely no need to feel embarrasses but I know now that I'm nervous as hell and I'm only done with the medical and drug test!!!

I'm going to remind everyone... Don't get too caught up on studying signals to the point that your not comprehending the rest of the material that you need to study. You will go over signals daily in class. Study signals at home for one hour, and start hitting the books, and you notes (I did not study on Friday's and Saturday's). You must be able to pass your practicals. People fail during the practicals, because they could not put some of the pieces of the puzzle together.

There were people in my class who mesmerized signals in a matter of days of starting school car, but when it was time to put it to practical use, they flunked, or when there was a quiz, they failed. The first month of school car was hard on me (check my previous posts and others as well), I felt like i was going to school car just for a check at times, and it was all about to end any day now (I had tough instructors). After one month it all just clicked. I started leading in the class, and it showed during the practicals, and quizzes. I was the only person in my class who did not have to retake any of the practicals. At one time there were only two of us in class, the remainder of the class had to redo their practical... I never saw that coming (neither did the instructors)!

The signal test is not a trick test, they are not giving you a test to try and fail you. They are asking question you should know by the time test day arrives, the main signals at that. Study everything in thirds; signals, notes, and your induction manual. You have more time to study signals in class, on the train, when your bored, during road operation days, etc. The signals where much easier for me to remember once I start hitting the road with the class, I am more of a hands on person... then it all clicks, I can go back to my notes, and I can take it from there.

I had one main study buddy... The rest of the class was understandably unreliable.

Once you start school car, head over to the School Car Experience thread, read and cross reference every post and if you need more help, just ask. But make sure you do NOT give up, even when you feel like your at a breaking point. School car is not trying to fail you, but if you can't keep up, then you will fail. When you start school car, "It get's worst and then it get better".

Good luck and see you on the road!

Bro ,this shit ain't a walk in the park ,haha..i won't sit here and lie but more a d more I'm thinking of throwing the towel..the training here is a joke. .it can be a better way to train. .everyone it's not even concentrating on there praticals,or other quizzes, exams etc all there worrying about is these dam signal exams where you have to get 100% on both..it's tss stressful and didn't think the training would be so horrorendous

Bro ,this shit ain't a walk in the park ,haha..i won't sit here and lie but more a d more I'm thinking of throwing the towel..the training here is a joke. .it can be a better way to train. .everyone it's not even concentrating on there praticals,or other quizzes, exams etc all there worrying about is these dam signal exams where you have to get 100% on both..it's tss stressful and didn't think the training would be so horrorendous

How long have you been in actual class now?

The problem with study groups is that everyone don't have the time,or some people rather study on there own..the training is not what a lot of people expected honestly. .a lot of people rather start off as a conductor and maybe just go t/o from there ..some people rather stay a conductor. .pay is not a huge difference as well ..

Don't waste time trying to meet up on your days off when everyone lives miles and miles away from each other and has different schedules.

Get to class early, or stay late with your classmates. This is the best way to do it. Once you've been to all the locations and begin to repeat them (aka everyone knows how to get there) it's easy to work it out with a few other like minded students in the class and say hey, let's just get there an hour early tomorrow so we can review before the class starts.

I'm going to remind everyone... Don't get too caught up on studying signals to the point that your not comprehending the rest of the material that you need to study. You will go over signals daily in class. Study signals at home for one hour, and start hitting the books, and you notes (I did not study on Friday's and Saturday's). You must be able to pass your practicals. People fail during the practicals, because they could not put some of the pieces of the puzzle together.

There were people in my class who mesmerized signals in a matter of days of starting school car, but when it was time to put it to practical use, they flunked, or when there was a quiz, they failed. The first month of school car was hard on me (check my previous posts and others as well), I felt like i was going to school car just for a check at times, and it was all about to end any day now (I had tough instructors). After one month it all just clicked. I started leading in the class, and it showed during the practicals, and quizzes. I was the only person in my class who did not have to retake any of the practicals. At one time there were only two of us in class, the remainder of the class had to redo their practical... I never saw that coming (neither did the instructors)!

The signal test is not a trick test, they are not giving you a test to try and fail you. They are asking question you should know by the time test day arrives, the main signals at that. Study everything in thirds; signals, notes, and your induction manual. You have more time to study signals in class, on the train, when your bored, during road operation days, etc. The signals where much easier for me to remember once I start hitting the road with the class, I am more of a hands on person... then it all clicks, I can go back to my notes, and I can take it from there.

I had one main study buddy... The rest of the class was understandably unreliable.

Once you start school car, head over to the School Car Experience thread, read and cross reference every post and if you need more help, just ask. But make sure you do NOT give up, even when you feel like your at a breaking point. School car is not trying to fail you, but if you can't keep up, then you will fail. When you start school car, "It get's worst and then it get better".

Good luck and see you on the road!

Seconded. Good advice.

Hey @mikeems1, everything went well yesterday. Very smooth. I was supposed to go today but they didn't give me the day off so they told be to go a day before which falls on my RDO. I hear there is a class the 30th of this month but didn't hear anything about them trying to fit in more people. Hopefully you and me can make it. Next step is to wait for that phone call to come back in for Medical and final processing. That's basically the day you're in there for the most part of the day and they do a full medical on you and get sworned in. They told me that they'll call me in 2 to 90 days. Which I believe it will be way less than than. Let's see what happens bro. Did they say anything else?

Tprashad no disrespect but this may sound disrespectful. Stop crying. Pull your skirt down and put on your big boy draws. The training is not a joke. Of course there can always be a better way to train. Thousands of other train operators have made it through the program and are operating safely and efficiently. The bottom line is You have to study period and you have to want it. TSS,s will not hold your hand and spoon feed you. Everything you need to know is in the induction manual and bulletins thAt are distributed. School car TSS's are experts in train operation and trouble shooting. They present all the information you need. You can not think your just going to go to class and not study at home and the weekends. You have to want it. The reality is unlike a lot of training programs, everyone does not make it through school car. Everyone does not make it through probation. You will get exposed real quick if you don't know what your doing down here. That's why probation is only like 3 months more after you get out of school car. They stress the signal test because it's game over if you don't get 100% on the first attempt on 2 signal exams. Nothing else matters because if you fail that your automatically gone. The practicals are subjective and you get a second crack at it if you mess up. You might even have a TSS who cuts you some slack if you screw it up with a minor mistake. The midterms and quizzes are not that difficult and you only need an 80% and you have 2 shots at it. If you think this training is horrendous you need more life experience. Transit takes a civilian with no experience in operating a train and makes them a proficient Train Operator. If you think the TSS's are stressful wait till you have to deal with the dispatchers. You have to toughen up because this job is serious business. You have people's lives in your hand. Plus you can be easily seriously hurt or killed here if you did not realize. If you thinking about quitting then you should quit now and early so you don't suffer so much. Maybe you can get your old job back. You have to be a serious bad ass to be a Train Operator. See the below link.

https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/new-york/why-nyc-subway-operators-are-serious-badasses