Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats, Eric. That's got to be a huge relief.

Thank you. Huge relief, but one step closer to "pounding the road". :o

Oh ok, Thanx!! And congrats on passing the second signals test too!

Thank you.

Edited by ErikNYC

My yard posting schedule looks crazy ,we be all over at every different time schedule for 3 weeks then after its yx where you have to call for your schedule. .hope it's a yard close to my home

Mikeems

25 questions. .10 fill in and 15 multiple choice..

Marker signal

Low home red or yellow

Train order signal

6 point of restricted speed

Call-in

Circle K

Station car stop

Shop door clearance

Fouling point

Please anyone willing to  remind me about all the good  possibilities working at the TA.  well its been a long time on this list , finally got a letter to report for pre employment , not sure what is expect, or how fast it will proceed from here , living north of the Bronx's now , driving a school bus in westchester  for 6 1/2 years , really could use a better paying job, If I can get in , not sure about the commute from the metro north line in Bedford station . READING AND TRYING TO GET SOME UNDERSTANDING OF THE SYSTEM it sounds like the A division would be work better for me , It could be real difficult if I had to go into Brooklyn wow I would be looking at over 2 hrs each way , If you work a night shift one day can you be assigned a day shift the next , I really want to report with a positive decision when reporting since when I took the test back in 09 I was unemployed at the time after a long run in new car dealership and a little older now  , My youngest just started college and I need a 2nd job or one good paying like train operator . This would be a no brainer for me if I still live in Astoria Queens my home town .

Edited by Bob

Congrats to all who passed your signal exam, must be a huge relief for now ! How many test questions? any advice besides the flash cards?

Thanks

Remember, just because those were the questions on "his" test does not mean those will be the ones on yours.

Anything is fair game (including audible and hand signals). Expect a mix of write ins and multiple choice. You must get all of the multiple choice right. Write ins, there are certain things you can write for each that will automatically disqualify you, but if you write what's in the rule book you will be fine. If you write something that is unclear, or has more than one interpretation, you will be summoned in to explain your answer verbally, and you had better give the right answer verbally.

Just learn the definitions the way they are in the rule book, and understand the types of signals and how they interact or are related to each other. Don't overthink it, don't worry about "oddball" signals you may see in the field that seem to not fully conform exactly to their definitions...just write the correct answer.

By the time the test rolls around, it should be like reflex anyway. When you see a signal the first sentence of the definition should already be in your head without even thinking. If it's not, you need to study more. And that's OK, you still have time to do that.

Edited by SubwayGuy

For those who are in yx or finished..after the 3 weeks posting and your released on your own to the crew office..do they put you in a yard close to your home? Are don't hey have you bouncing all over the place?

Those questions I threw out was just examples I had on my signal exam..there are many different exams ..so you can have more miscellaneous or lighted signals

For those who are in yx or finished..after the 3 weeks posting and your released on your own to the crew office..do they put you in a yard close to your home? Are don't hey have you bouncing all over the place?

Those questions I threw out was just examples I had on my signal exam..there are many different exams ..so you can have more miscellaneous or lighted signals

For my induction class they put us close to home for majority of the time in YX (I live in the Bronx, so close for me can be any number of yards), I went to Brooklyn and Queens a few times, but mostly stayed in the Bronx. My Brooklyn classmates were station switching at Utica majority of the time, or laying up at New Lots, and if they were lucky went to Corona.

However, you want to be bounced around. You sit in one or two yards or terminals, and god forbid station switch the entire time like a couple of my class mates, and when YX is over your timid and can't adjust.

Edited by ErikNYC

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my last day of road operations today. Monday, I start road posting for the next four to five weeks. I am truly fortunate, and grateful. :)

PS: I spoke with my TSS the other day and he confirmed (hewas told) that the MTA will be hiring about 360 more TO's.

It's not showing my posts yet (new to the group) but I thought drug tests expire after 90 days? I flew 3,000 miles just to take the drug test last week and I'm feeling a little discouraged if I am going to have to fly back if my DT expires in less than 3 weeks. Please keep updating any info. Thanks.

The lady at 180 Livingston told me that the drug test is good for 90 days but I'm sure I will have to take another drug test the day that I come back in for my medical. The same thing happened to me when I was being processed for bus operator.