Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GL to everyone waiting for that email to come and the process to start. My class is a month into school car. A lot of information in a short time and hands on time is limited. So when you all go on train take notes, listen to instructor take as many opportunities to make cuts/adds etc. Read appx 2 hours a night, it wont make sense to you in the beginning, let the instructor go over it in class and fill in the blanks for you. Give it about a month and things will fall into place. Take it serious, this is GOING BACK TO SCHOOL don't let anything fool you. Just remember have passion for this you WILL MAKE IT. Study signals every night the exact wording, DO NOT come up with "your own words". Again GL to all it is not easy wake up 330 am to be in school car for 7 am, then coming home at 6pm to study. But if you want this you will do it.

Hope i was able to shed some light for people waiting to start school car !

Hey  Train OP, when was your drug test, medical, and when did they let you know that you are starting Feb 1st? I'm hoping they give more than a weeks notice. I don't currently live in the City so its going to be a big move, just want an idea of how quickly things are moving right now. Thanks.

hey guys, unfortunetly my journey to become a T/O has ended not because i failed anything i just resigned because more and more i proceed the less time i spend with my family and life all together..i went all the way to 15 weeks..passed my practicals and my first signal exam but T/O wasnt for me..i needed to spend more time with my 3 year old and this job would of took most of my time..this job isnt for everyone so please make sure you know you want this..meaning..the training isnt easy for what it is..its very intense and strict..dont be LATE or miss any days..study your SIGNALS ..your TSS's will drill you on signals and reading the iron everyday..i dont see how people are failing the signal exams my biggest fear was the dam practicals..hardest one would be cuts and adds..preparing a trainf or service is a piece of cake..PAY ATTENTION..especially your circuits,handbrakes,bco,mco,emergency brakes etc..your TSS plays a big role of you passing school car sad to say..some are here just for the money..Francis is a GREAT tss (francis with the dread hair) aka brooklyn francis..

-things that were told before you start school car are

-what do you think a T/O does? answer from class " operate up and down the tracks" WRONG you will see the amount of stuff you need to do and know

-be ready because this is 25 years to LIFE...you will have no family functions,no social life,and GET REST because you will need it

-DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CURRENT JOB...take a leave if you have to..trust me this saved me

@Tprashad,

Thanks for everything you've shared with the group.

I know your decision must have been very difficult.

I'm glad you're able to return to your old job.

Matt

@Tprashad,

Thanks for everything you've shared with the group.

I know your decision must have been very difficult.

I'm glad you're able to return to your old job.

Matt

Sorry for the double reply.

Matt thanks bro, it was VERY difficult when i had to hand in my tools and pass..especially waking up those cold mornings catching the train just to be on time with the class..it was a experience and a half..i myself was one of those who thought you operate up and down the tracks all day lol..but there is more to this job ..schedule,sleeping patterns, so much TSS out there to catch you do something wrong,trains going bie..i honestly think a MTA T/O is underpaid with the crap involved with the job..the best thing is to start out as a conductor then see from there where you want to go..FLAGGER,dispatcher,tower operator, evern WORK trains would be nice..

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

It's far more intense than I had ever expected it to be. I never realized that moving the train is only a small part of the job.

If I ever return to Transit it will likely be as a conductor.

Maybe I'll try to be a train operator once more as a promotional, maybe I'll just try to be the best conductor possible.

im on the conductor list as well, my list number is in the high 65xx lol ..i just want to say good luck to those who are in schoolcar..its tough but make sure this is what you want..dont make the money fool you..i honestly was making more then i am at my current job..way more..but what was the point of me making all this money and couldnt of even enjoy the dam thing..i see some of these guys who work here for 25-30 years and there shot...they dont know anything ..only MTA they knew..so make sure you join a gym or keep active..you can gain so much weight LOL

Very sorry to hear tprashad0719. Your very strong for making your decision.

Just to add or take away from what you stated; The job can be rough first two or three years, until you get familiar and start picking. Once you start picking, you can come in do your job and go home, there are plenty of people who do so. However, because of people's lifestyle, "economy", mountains of debt, child support issues etc., people choose to work their RDO's, and do overtime, to make as much money as they can. Some people forget about life, and more importantly family.

You can get to a point where you go in to do your picked job, and go home. Like most jobs, as an employee if the job is going under, you must stay to help the company get through any issues, especially when you are in a management title. What we go through is similar to what NYPD, city workers, healthcare workers, and many other jobs entail. 

I came from the healthcare field with eighteen years under my belt, and I'm currently thirty-six years old. I worked many holidays and RDO's for years, just to make "extra money". After eighteen years under my belt, I didn't have to work all those hours and/or days, not even after two years in the field. I missed out on holidays with the family, etc. I was even hired by another healthcare company to work as a supervisor full-time, and I started working for two companies. It's a choice I made, because I was getting greedy.

Like most blue-collar jobs, there's seniority involved, and it's not for everyone.

For the rest of the upcoming promising TO's... It's not that bad once you get out of schoolcar. You just need to get through schoolcar! Once you start picking, you can come in do your job and go home... TSS will not be and issue if you do your job, like majority of the staff do everyday. The TSS are there to help you, as well.

Just like the healthcare industry, or even aviation industry, there's seniority involved, and it's not for everyone.

I applaud you Tprashad for making your decision. so sad to see you go. Good luck.

Edited by ErikNYC