Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

To everyone waiting to come in and start Schoolcar, if you can take leave of absence from your current job. We are heading into our 6th week and getting ready for our 1st practical. Remember this is going back to "school" no questions, you must be prepared to buckle in and have no life for the next year. You must be able to learn things on your own and have instructors fill in the blanks for you. Every instructor teaches different some are more strict than others. It can all end for me and or my classmates on the first practical. Study your procedures and apply it in your hands on time. You will have your days of doubts about this and your days of confidence. DO NOT let it detour you from objectives. You have to give it your all and let it take its course, even giving your all is not always successful but at least you can say you did. GL all !

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mikeems1 I totally agree with you it's all about what you put in your instructors can be a major point but you still gotta put in what you need & more my induction was in August I had my wtf moment but you gotta persevere anything worth while has to have sacrifice in it I stayed the course my whole class did & all 10 of us are still together starting road ops tonight if you want go get it

@mrcka, unfortunately some my other classmates not applying themselves you can see that. Can you give me an advice on what TSS look for on practical. I know every TSS does it differently etc on practical. They are looking for you to point out everything under the train and above? Maybe you can share your first practical experience quickly.

GL on your road ops! Im hoping to get there as well!

Mikeems, when i took my first pratical i was nervous as hell..for me the signal exam was the easiest part but everyone is different..here are some tips

Key Points

-when you aboard your train make sure you turn on your air comfort and lights so you know you have third rail power

-INSPECT ALL YOUR CIRCUITS AND MDC they tend to terminate the MDC and flip a few circuits...MAKE SURE if they MCO you dont go flipping those circuits back to normalize, let the TSS know and tellt hem your calling the dispatcher to notify them of the situation

-ALWAYS CHECK YOUR HAND BRAKES BECAUSE THIS IS A INSTANT FAILURE

-REMOVE YOUR CHAINS AND BARRIER SPRINGS when performing your cut and adds

-MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR SHUTTER DOORS BEFORE YOU DO YOUR ADD (had the tss trick me and left the door open)

-TRUST ME MAKE SURE YOUR CHECK YOUR BCO AND IF THE BCO AND AGAIN THE MCO IS CUT OUT MAKE SURE YOU LET THE TSS KNOW and notify dispatcher

god forbid you get nervous and fail dont worry you get a 2nd chance but this time with the superintendent ! so pass the first time..you dont want Young out there or Gibbs if you know what i mean

I passed my 2nd signal test, start road operations Sunday

Congrats; if you are B Division, I take students.

SubwayGuy hit everything on the head. This job isn't for everyone. When people ask me how long I've been down here, they act surprised when I say only 3 years. My EMS Career prepared me for this job, with the wonky hours and being treated like crap.

It's like I told my wife when I first started down here....short-term sacrifice, long-term gain.

I spent Schoolcar, and a total of my first 2 years here, living at my in-laws' 5 days a week, only going home on weekends. That was very tough, especially with my daughter who is about tot turn 4.

Short-term sacrifice, long-term gain.

It does get better. Being XX can suck. Sitting on Board for 6+ hours, only to get called to cover a full job (remember, Contract states you are required 12 hrs off in-between jobs when XX). The first time or two you pick, you get to pick from the scraps.

It does get better. 

You will eventually be able to pick your own schedule, but not have weekends off.

I am one of those who believe that if I'm going to supervise someone, I need to know how to do their job. That's why I'm going to switch to the IRT before I go to TSS (assuming I do get promoted; assume nothing down here).

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Be a sponge. Pick brains. When I was a student, I did that, and I learned a lot from the old-timers. I also came in, kept my mouth shut, and respected those who were here before me. Also, I let my operations speak for me. As I tell the TSSs when they ride with me and we discuss things, I want them to know that if they hear me on the radio with a problem, that they can relax a little knowing I am able to handle the situation or be in control of it. Moreso, they know I don't panic on the radio or scream like an idiot. 

There are a bunch of good operators in here from all titles. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I did, and it got me where I am today.

It does get better.

What's holding me up right now Train Op 2016 is that the human resource department has yet to send out an evaluation form for me to my superintendent. Currently I'm a bus operator and because I'm going to be switching from bus operator to train operator the MTA is treating this as a promotion. The lady that I spoke to on Monday from human resources told me that she hasn't sent out my evaluation form yet and that I should give her a call next week Friday to see whether or not she has sent it out to my superintendent at my depot. I guess I just have to be patient for now.

• 2 weeks later...

got a letter for the feb 19th date,  can someone tell me how soon would I except to start the school. thank you

It can anywhere from 3-90 days. Make sure you have all you documents ready, for when you get called back, to make sure it all goes through smoothly. Congrats.

what are the days/ hours of school btw. thank you

For classroom either 7am to 3pm, or 3pm to 11pm, depending on what class you get. Weekends off.

One you get to "posting" which is where you learn the individual lines, your hours will vary.

The other exception is "night ops" during which you will report at 7pm and finish at 3am, that's to practice stops with your instructors as a class during overnight hours.

the initial appointment 7 30am.., any ideas how long that will be, I work that evening. Thank you

You will be able to make it to work. If it say 7:30 get there no later than 7AM sharp. You will be able to sign in and wait. You should be out of there no later than 11AM. Worked for me, both times.

Can anyone advise if this list is still active? I'm still on it after declining appointment. Thanks

Yup it's still active.

On a side note; I'm finally finished with school car, as of today. I start pounding the road next week. It feels great. Hang in there and don't give up!!!