Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TA workers like RTOman speak the Truth it's a cut troat railroad. It's easy to get the job just hard to keep you need to be 100 % at all times especially in the front. If your not it's my job to take you downtown. I take no joy in doing it but it's my job overrun a station or hit a signal your going to see the man.

However my advise is pay attention in school car learn your job and do it at the best of your ability leave your problems at home and also focus on your job. Don't try to operate a train like you have time just get your own feel for the train.

TA workers like RTOman speak the Truth it's a cut troat railroad. It's easy to get the job just hard to keep you need to be 100 % at all times especially in the front. If your not it's my job to take you downtown. I take no joy in doing it but it's my job overrun a station or hit a signal your going to see the man.

However my advise is pay attention in school car learn your job and do it at the best of your ability leave your problems at home and also focus on your job. Don't try to operate a train like you have time just get your own feel for the train.

Yep thats a Supervisor talking, any questions from the sensitive folks here?

I went today and got the booklet. There are 50-60 people showing up. Some of them are showing up for other positions. I finished by 10am. The booklet they gave to fill out is very specific. I briefly took a look at it. They want you to list every job you had since high school. I'm not sure if that includes every temp job, because it says something about temp jobs being 4 months or something like that. I had a lot of temp jobs for 1 week. Somehow I feel that I might not become a TO, because of this background check :D The urine test wasn't a pleasant experience for me :(

They want me to list all my work experience since high school. I have had 100's of temp job if I had to list them all and get fired for missing some of them I would be in trouble. Also, there's some question about have you been disciplined, reprimanded, fired, and etc. from a job before. In some of my cases, it depends on what they mean by that question. I have been reprimanded before 15+ years ago. I have no criminal history. I can see someone easily not remembering or missing answers and get fired or not called for the TO position. It's a lot of pages to fill out in that book.

Edited by Dahon5

I went today and got the booklet. There are 50-60 people showing up. Some of them are showing up for other positions. I finished by 10am. The booklet they gave to fill out is very specific. I briefly took a look at it. They want you to list every job you had since high school. I'm not sure if that includes every temp job, because it says something about temp jobs being 4 months or something like that. I had a lot of temp jobs for 1 week. Somehow I feel that I might not become a TO, because of this background check :D The urine test wasn't a pleasant experience for me :(

Follow the instructions exactly and you will not have any issue. This booklet is actually pretty simple. It looks like a headache when you first recieve it but it really isn't that bad. Lucky for me I have only had about 6 jobs since highschool. I been at them each about 2-4yrs so I didn't have much to fill out in the employment section.

Therein lies my problem - I've been at my present job since July of 2005 as a permanent employee (over 7 years) - however between 2002-2005 I had multiple temp jobs - many of which lasted between 1 day and 1 week; not to mention a crap load of time unemployed (time I never want to remember or relive.) I lost my telemarketer temp job in 2004 because my "sales per hour" rate was too low.

If they call and find out you got fired for not performing, I'm not sure what happens. Maybe it's better to disclose? I think most temp gigs wouldn't disclose that the fired you due to lawsuit reasons. I think some perm jobs too. Most of the jobs I've had were many years ago. I don't even remember the people I worked with and they probably don't remember me. In fact, I bet most don't even work in the same company anymore :D I think they don't care about unemployment too much. From the booklet, there are some questions about being reprimanded, fired, and etc. It was a Y or N question. The second questions was if you quit the job before getting reprimanded :D

From my point of view, they seem to worry more about prior convictions than job history. As long as you list all of your convictions and work history in the booklet to the best of your knowledge you should be ok. That BS job someone had 10-15 years ago that you got fired from for time and attendance doesn't hold as much weight as you lying or not listing a conviction. They are more worried about recent job history. If you were fired in the last couple years I would let them know because that employer most likely still has your info. Now the job from 10 years ago probably doesn't even remember you worked for them. It seems that most of the people who get fired after being appointed are the ones who hid their criminal history or had pending charges and didn't let MTA know. Not people who forgot to list that part time job that they were let go from. As long as you didn't assault a supervisor or steal from work then you should be ok.

Is there an easy way to get your criminal background? I had an incident when I was 17, (20 yrs ago) still in high school. Stupid, but still an incident. I'm pretty sure it was expunged but I want to make sure.

Just go to the courthouse in the county where it happen and ask for a complete record. I think it'll cost about $25 for a copy. It'll list all charges/convictions you ever had.

Thanks. I want to et all my ducks in a row. I'm hoping for a letter before the en of the year. Mid 400's. Need my diploma, and work history too.

Side note, what's the uniform like? Is it Dickie type pants? Do they provide it? Do you get to ride all mass transit free of charge? Ie; LIRR, subway, busses, etc,,,,, last question. How do they break ties from the exam? I've heard everything from the day you registered, to last 5 of your SS #. I share my score w/ a lot of people. I was lucky enough to be towards the head of the pack.

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure you remember my story - the ticket I got back in Feb of '98 for having a lit cigarette on the el platform (didn't realize it was illegal to do so despite it being open air) - I went to TAB to get a disposition - and it says there is no record of me having any violations on record. I didn't put it down on the sheet I got for the pre-employment drug screening, but I wonder of I should put it on the comprehensive application (21-page booklet). I just pray I didn't screw myself out of a job.

I'm sure you remember my story - the ticket I got back in Feb of '98 for having a lit cigarette on the el platform (didn't realize it was illegal to do so despite it being open air) - I went to TAB to get a disposition - and it says there is no record of me having any violations on record. I didn't put it down on the sheet I got for the pre-employment drug screening, but I wonder of I should put it on the comprehensive application (21-page booklet). I just pray I didn't screw myself out of a job.

I had the same ticket. I owed 82 cent on it. DURING my interview they sent me across the street to satisfy the situation. Yours is paid and they have no record of it stop worrying so much. I was hired by the way. Edited by Unohoo