Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Damn, that sucks! I thought you were straight...but everything for a reason. You were just seeking time to clear up loose ends. Just use the time wisely. You are still in the race. I am 7 list numbers away according to my homegirl that just got called for the December 26th class. However, I spoke with Mrs. Vargas today and she stated that they are on hold with the calling because they are waiting for people to come off of medical hold. This is insane. I's so close....smh

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the verdict is in and I'm out!  At least, for now anyway, on a medical hold until I can see my Dr. 

Unfortunately for me that won't be until first week in Jan. The Good news is there's still a Jan.30 class on the table but, at this point i'm saying whatever. An unexplainable discrepancy in one of my exams so doc. needs more clearance. Never had as much as a broken nose but this is a federally regulated position so everything must fit perfectly.  A Long day with a somewhat frustrating end. Truthfully, I wasn't too keen about starting on Monday anyway but, wasn't going to chance it. However, the decision was made for me so it's back to waiting. The MTA Dr. doesn't think it's a big deal but, the timing is bad depending on how I look at it. If I can continue I'll get back on but for now, I've lost too much sleep over this already so, in the meantime, I'm just going relax over the holidays and what will be will be. Good luck to those still in the game  and maybe I'll see you in Jan. Peace! 

Well I'm exactly in the same boat.... I'm on medical Hold , need to see the doc in January....  Good Luck 

Edited by local 2 e1presidente

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, good luck to everyone.

Does anyone know when this list expires? Is it too late to put your name back on the list?

September 19 2017 

as long as they are pulling names it's not too late but how often idk , I got my name put back on as well 

September 19 2017 

as long as they are pulling names it's not too late but how often idk , I got my name put back on as well 

Just a heads up but they are planning to start calling off the promotional T/O test towards the end of March. Once that happens 8098 will be history. They won't call any more names from 8098 anymore.

Just a heads up but they are planning to start calling off the promotional T/O test towards the end of March. Once that happens 8098 will be history. They won't call any more names from 8098 anymore.

Well I hope they squeeze in some people they skipped

September 19 2017 

has anyone received a "considered but not appointed letter?" Or know anyone who has? I received the letter and I don't know WHATS going on. I have not been able to get in touch with anyone at certificate.

I read in an article from about a decade ago that transit HIRES 300 train operators a year just to cover retirements. They'll CALL a lot more than that I would guess

If this was correct, the employee turnover rate for T/O's would be 100% about every 13 years, and that's definitely not the case.

In the conductors thread I saw someone say that the current test is going to expire on the 30th of this month (it's supposed to expire Feb 17th) and you're saying the Train operator exam will be finished in March though it's supposed to expire in late 2017.

Is transit allowed to cut the lifespan of a list short like that even though they have datesome set in stone already? I hope it's true because I'm on 6601 with a decent score, but I've never heard of a list being cut short like that.

Also, are you aware of any promotional employees receiving their official scores and list #'s?

In the conductors thread I saw someone say that the current test is going to expire on the 30th of this month (it's supposed to expire Feb 17th) and you're saying the Train operator exam will be finished in March though it's supposed to expire in late 2017.

Is transit allowed to cut the lifespan of a list short like that even though they have datesome set in stone already? I hope it's true because I'm on 6601 with a decent score, but I've never heard of a list being cut short like that.

Also, are you aware of any promotional employees receiving their official scores and list #'.

8098 was originally set to expire Sept 2016 but it was extended until Sept 2017. At this point they can do away with the exam at any time this year.

It's being cut short due to the horrible passing rate in schoolcar (some are not even making it pass probation). They just don't realize how serious and demanding this job is.... They can't keep up with the amount of T/O's they need which is typical when you start getting towards the bottom of the list so they will start off fresh with the promotional's.

My conductor did tell me he was expecting to get called anytime soon for the promotion to T/O. he was the one that mentioned to me they would start in March.

The truth is whoever was hoping to get called this year may be just plain out of luck. Those who do get in from this exam after March will be those already in the middle of the hiring process.

Once the first name is called off the promotional list 8098 will be history

Edited by elantra06

If this was correct, the employee turnover rate for T/O's would be 100% about every 13 years, and that's definitely not the case.

It's true. Remember, many fail during schoolcar. And it's not just retirements, you have Train Operators that take resume positions off the road, go to TD, and go to TSS.

I resigned for personal reasons as well during school car ,how can I put my name back on the list?

You would have to contact DCAS to restore your name back to the list. Honestly you don't have much time left. I'm hearing that the list will be done away with within 30-60 days due to the promotional list being activated possibly even within the next 2 weeks. I hope you applied for the next open competitive back in December.

• 2 months later...

For anyone who's been down to 180 Livingston recently. Do they hold pending traffic tickets against you for Train Operator? I know it's been mentioned in some bus operator threads, but not here.

I was just called for T/O and I have a hearing in November for a failure to yield to a vehicle. I plead guilty, but am told the officer must still be present, hence the hearing date.

Thanks. That's exactly how it happened. Good to know for anyone else who may be getting called soon. In my case, the TVB won't allow me the option to pay it. The judge said that the officer must be present to give an account of whether or not an accident took place (failure to yield), which it didn't. I may see if an attorney can help move it along sooner than the November hearing date.