Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

It wasn't "anti-Bronx". Im just saying, because of our economic condition and the way our schools are run, we dont get the same level of decent education as the rest of new york. I didnt really learn too much until i got to high school, which i attended in manhattan. Even then it was too late because when i got to college i couldnt really compete with everyone else, so i dropped out. Maybe im just an idiot, but im definitely NOT anti-Bronx

Lol that explains it. You're an idiot. I graduated from a Bronx highschool with Merit, went to college 6yrs later (after my tour in the Marines and deciding 2yrs later to obtain a degree) and gradutated from college on the Presidents list (3.5 GPA or above). I really don't think the schools failed you. You failed yourself... college drop out....

I would give you some respect if you dropped out for financial or family hardship reasons but you failed out so just please do not blame the Bronx for you failing yourself...

Edited by elantra06

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're getting way off topic. Let bygones be bygones and agree to disagree. One day we may all be co-workers (hopefully) and it would make the workplace (crew room) a lot less hostile. I know someone who is a C/R - and the stories I hear of who doesn't like who because they said "blah blah blah reminds of kindergarten. So let's learn to get along and stand together as one voice. With that said, when the hell are they getting to the 500's because I'm ready to quit my damn job!!!! Haha!

who knew the Bronx could ignite such a thoughtful thread of conversation....joking. Once i read the original comment, i'm shocked the conversation stayed as friendly as is. Lesson in life, especially through text readings on forum, emails, etc.., you can't always say or type what you're really thinking because it can sometimes come out wrong. I get your point about the socio-economic conditions from a sociology/ archaeological standpoint. There is a legitimate arguments there. However, the way it was introduced left readers wondering what you truly meant, and some took it as far as thinking you were insulting them. Besides there are many factors for urban failures or as the cliche would say (inner-city) populations. Lack of quality education is just one of many aspects. But then one must ask what leads to the lack of quality education and then another argument sprouts within the context of the original discussion. That's why things are best left unsaid at times. The assumption that people towards the top of the list are white and from Brooklyn and thus will choose B division, is also a bad assumption. Just my take on this...

still waiting for my phone call, (150s) feel like im in limbo between heaven and hell

Keep the race and neighborhood townie type discussions off this. Every borough has its good and bad areas.

The problems are the ghettos where you got a bunch of idiot welfare kids running around trying to be the next 50 cent with no education (note: i said no education, not no schooling), and a bunch of lazy deadbeat dads and single moms who think it's the school's and the government's responsibility to teach their kids how to be responsible, stay out of trouble, and have common sense.

They are the biggest problem facing the city today, and they will grow up to be nothing other than the useless mumbling drags on the systems that you see pushing a pushcart with a squeaky wheel and a garbage bag, drooling all over themselves in the clothes they haven't washed in a week which don't fit quite right - chronic drug users in and out of court systems, future homeless in and out of shelters, and future dependents sucking on the tit of society trying to retain their apartment in the projects with their 7 tax deduc...erm, kids, all of which had to repeat the kindergarten 3 times.

Note I am not talking about ALL, just SOME. It's a straw man, and a damn good one because everyone who's been in the city more than 5 minutes knows exactly who and what I am talking about. These people in their adult, and kid forms, cause most of the problems in the NYC Subway - fights, injuries/deaths from stupid behavior/dares, drunk/disorderly, false complaints cuz they want lawsuit money, etc.

But they are not specific to one borough or another. They are in every borough in both divisions.

Yeah, once i found out you dont need a degree for train operator i really lost all my motivation. I went to Polytechnic University (now called NYU-Poly) to become an "engineer" but the job i really had in mind was "locomotive engineer", or "train operator".

Well get yer motivation back because I'm pretty sure the classroom instruction aspect of school car will be set up similar to a college curriculum and if this is what you really want you CANNOT fail. That is not an option.

I'm in.

I start 11/12.

Did another sleep study; I snore. No obstructions. Went down yesterday at noon, handed in my papers, got cleared. Went to the HR side, met with my investigator, got my picture taken, and sworn in. I was out at 4:25.

To everyone who is still waiting:

CHILL OUT!!!!!

If you are on the list, you are going to be called. Have patience. We've been waiting for 3.5 years; we can wait a little longer.

You will be given instructions on EVERYTHING that is going to be required of you. The staff on the 5th floor is very friendly and patient. They will answer any and all questions.

I suggest not lying to the medical staff. They are thorough, and will find out anything bad going on. Yes, going on Medical Hold sucked, but I survived. Do what they ask of you, and be respectful to them. Yes, getting put on hold sucks, but they are doing their job. It took me a while to get rid of the anger of being on hold, but being a medical professional, I understand they are just doing their jobs.

It's called a COMPREHENSIVE packet for a reason. Answer everything TRUTHFULLY, and you will have no problems. Any issues, the Investigator will go over it with you right then and there.

As I posted before, spend the money and get your work history from Social Security, for EVERYTHING since High School, as the instructions for the Comprehensive Packet say.

Also, look and act professional. Shirt and tie. Sir and Ma'am (I had people ask me to refer to them by their first names instead; I complied with a "Miss" in front of it.)

I know I may be coming off as an arrogant ass, but people on this thread are turning molehills into mountains. This is my second time through the process of getting hired by the City. It's long and bureaucratic, but it isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. All you have to do is follow directions.

When I report on the 11th, I'm going in with the attitude of "I don't know a damn thing, please teach me."

Keep the race and neighborhood townie type discussions off this. Every borough has its good and bad areas.

The problems are the ghettos where you got a bunch of idiot welfare kids running around trying to be the next 50 cent with no education (note: i said no education, not no schooling), and a bunch of lazy deadbeat dads and single moms who think it's the school's and the government's responsibility to teach their kids how to be responsible, stay out of trouble, and have common sense.

They are the biggest problem facing the city today, and they will grow up to be nothing other than the useless mumbling drags on the systems that you see pushing a pushcart with a squeaky wheel and a garbage bag, drooling all over themselves in the clothes they haven't washed in a week which don't fit quite right - chronic drug users in and out of court systems, future homeless in and out of shelters, and future dependents sucking on the tit of society trying to retain their apartment in the projects with their 7 tax deduc...erm, kids, all of which had to repeat the kindergarten 3 times.

Note I am not talking about ALL, just SOME. It's a straw man, and a damn good one because everyone who's been in the city more than 5 minutes knows exactly who and what I am talking about. These people in their adult, and kid forms, cause most of the problems in the NYC Subway - fights, injuries/deaths from stupid behavior/dares, drunk/disorderly, false complaints cuz they want lawsuit money, etc.

But they are not specific to one borough or another. They are in every borough in both divisions.

Well said.

Edited by mediccjh

Well get yer motivation back because I'm pretty sure the classroom instruction aspect of school car will be set up similar to a college curriculum and if this is what you really want you CANNOT fail. That is not an option.

You're right, i know its not gonna be easy. But there wont be a lack of motivation on my part this time, this is what i really want. Plus i am 8 years older than i was when i quit college. Being older plus having lived through the Great Recession has made me realize how important having a good job really is. At the time i actually thought i could have an apartment working at Subway sandwiches, just that it wouldnt be as big. I now know thats not even possible.

I'm in.

I start 11/12.

Did another sleep study; I snore. No obstructions. Went down yesterday at noon, handed in my papers, got cleared. Went to the HR side, met with my investigator, got my picture taken, and sworn in. I was out at 4:25.

To everyone who is still waiting:

CHILL OUT!!!!!

If you are on the list, you are going to be called. Have patience. We've been waiting for 3.5 years; we can wait a little longer.

You will be given instructions on EVERYTHING that is going to be required of you. The staff on the 5th floor is very friendly and patient. They will answer any and all questions.

I suggest not lying to the medical staff. They are thorough, and will find out anything bad going on. Yes, going on Medical Hold sucked, but I survived. Do what they ask of you, and be respectful to them. Yes, getting put on hold sucks, but they are doing their job. It took me a while to get rid of the anger of being on hold, but being a medical professional, I understand they are just doing their jobs.

It's called a COMPREHENSIVE packet for a reason. Answer everything TRUTHFULLY, and you will have no problems. Any issues, the Investigator will go over it with you right then and there.

As I posted before, spend the money and get your work history from Social Security, for EVERYTHING since High School, as the instructions for the Comprehensive Packet say.

Also, look and act professional. Shirt and tie. Sir and Ma'am (I had people ask me to refer to them by their first names instead; I complied with a "Miss" in front of it.)

I know I may be coming off as an arrogant ass, but people on this thread are turning molehills into mountains. This is my second time through the process of getting hired by the City. It's long and bureaucratic, but it isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. All you have to do is follow directions.

When I report on the 11th, I'm going in with the attitude of "I don't know a damn thing, please teach me."

Well said.

Congrats medi, patience is a virtue. Speaking of this sworn in thing everyone is saying... I am in the current class but was never "sworn in". Did u raise ur right hand an literally get sworn in because I don't remember doing that.

Congrats medi, patience is a virtue. Speaking of this sworn in thing everyone is saying... I am in the current class but was never "sworn in". Did u raise ur right hand an literally get sworn in because I don't remember doing that.

That's funny because I thought they would since it is civil service postion like Police/Firefighter/EMT.

You are such a effing Idiot really.. .

Since its obviously you have no idea what you are talking about....

Thats ok though silly stay hidden behind a screen coward, ill continue to laugh at fools like you..

If you ever want to deal with this in person you racist shitbag let me know, I will take care of you pretty quickly and easily. Maybe these guys here don't know about the real you, but I know the real you and the real you is a bag of shit. I don't need to hid behind anything. Let me know if you're ever man enough to settle this one on one.

But you are hiding Mark. You use other screen names like Mojoking, Phrasier Crane, Primomojr78 etc.. Whats wrong Mark ? Why are you still spewing that whole, "the people who work at the MTA are racist against me because Im white, even though my wife is african american!"

Edited by Warduke

Yeah, even said "I do." However, I didn't get a ring this time. I said that to my investigator, and she started laughing.

Idk maybe I did and just forgot or was more focused on something else. Obviously I must have if I'm almost a week into class lol. O by the way, They split the class up further today into classes of 10 each. TA16, TA17 and TB26 and 27. Corresponds with divisions. I'm in TA17. Hope that's not too much info.

Edited by Success7

If you ever want to deal with this in person you racist shitbag let me know, I will take care of you pretty quickly and easily. Maybe these guys here don't know about the real you, but I know the real you and the real you is a bag of shit. I don't need to hid behind anything. Let me know if you're ever man enough to settle this one on one.

LOL

Oh and BTW Dummy you know this is a public forum right Idiot?

You dont even know who i am!!

If you are a TA worker you are even more stupid so if you know who i am step up to me at work ill be waiting...

Edited by RTOMan

But you are hiding Mark. You use other screen names like Mojoking, Phrasier Crane, Primomojr78 etc.. Whats wrong Mark ? Why are you still spewing that whole, "the people who work at the MTA are racist against me because Im white, even though my wife is african american!"

LOL his name is Mark??

Markie mark lol sucka lol..

Phrasier Crane eh? That Fool def dont know me then hes just another PATHETIC Hater im thinking this is somebody who got guts hes just a toy....

Edited by RTOMan

ok so i finally looked over this 21 page application and i have 2 questions. 1. for the education part, do they have 4 sections because they want you to put elementary and middle school, or is that just extra for people who transferred in high school/college? 2. when they ask if you ever worked for a city agency, does the Summer Youth Employment Program count as a city agency?

ok so i finally looked over this 21 page application and i have 2 questions. 1. for the education part, do they have 4 sections because they want you to put elementary and middle school, or is that just extra for people who transferred in high school/college? 2. when they ask if you ever worked for a city agency, does the Summer Youth Employment Program count as a city agency?

Come on man are you serious. Did you even look at the other booklet that came with it?? It is an addtional 21 pages of instructions for each and every question. All these questions you're asking the answer is in it. That's why it is written on the front of it to read first before completing the 21 page background history booklet....

Edited by elantra06

Any1 else in for the 11/12 class?? Also any news on more ppl with higher #s goin to Livingston for the whiz quiz?? Congrats to ppl getting good news

140's here still waiting for the phonecall..hoping for the 11/12 class...

Edited by elantra06

Come on man are you serious. Did you even look at the other booklet that came with it?? It is an addtional 21 pages of instructions for each and every question. All these questions you're asking the answer is in it. That's why it is written on the front of it to read first before completing the 21 page background history booklet....

Oh ok, i'll check it out when i get home from work

i want to thank everyone on here that came to this forum with useful information and those who continue to exchange information relevant to the hiring process. It keeps us updated and informed so we know what to expect. If i didn't know better I would be freaking out since i went to preemployment and still haven't received a call back yet. I only recently joined this forum, but i was stalking it for quite a while checking for information. so thanks.

can someone who recently got hired for the 10/22 class describe the physical exam in detail. what is done, what is asked, as much details would be appreciated