Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of you people that went through this whole screening process were very helpful with all the information given by far. I am curious to what kind of questions & information is asked & required on the dreaded 21-page-booklet??? Can someone please break this down for us???

Definitely Division A since I live in Staten Island

I think you would prefer Division B if you live on Staten island. All the A division yards are in the Bronx except for 1 in queens and 1 in Brooklyn. All the B div yards are in Brooklyn and mainly south Brooklyn so that will be ur best bet coming from Staten.

I think you would prefer Division B if you live on Staten island. All the A division yards are in the Bronx except for 1 in queens and 1 in Brooklyn. All the B div yards are in Brooklyn and mainly south Brooklyn so that will be ur best bet coming from Staten.

I live in Jackson Heights, Queens - so my preference will most likely go with the B division.

yes!!! What he said. I got put in the A division because when it was my turn to pick, B was filled up. I was in 241 yard on tuesday and it took me almost 3 hours to get back to Staten island. The plus side is I'll be out of school car before the B division guys and the A is smaller, less equipment

Hi all,

Been creeping around these forums for a long time and looks like I will be for much longer considering my list number is in the early 700's lol. I went to my doctor last week to do a complete physical in anticipation to the MTA medical. Turns out my BP was a little high (145/86). So he gave me medicine which seem to lower my BP overnight (been in anywhere from 116-126/70-78) all week.

So my question is, will I be disqualified because of this situation? Having somewhat high BP but under control with medicine?

Thanks in advance, I did try to search for this but only came up with one guy asking a similar question with no answer.

The 12/17 class B division is filled up? If I get called can I postpone till the next class and go into the B division? I live very close to Stillwell and it would be a pain for me to go into the A division.

You'll find out when you report on the 17th. We picked our divisions on the first day. Most people got what they wanted, but a couple people got bumped into the A division unwillingly. Although it might be more of a travel, a lot of TSS's have said that its easier to learn in the A since its smaller

You'll find out when you report on the 17th. We picked our divisions on the first day. Most people got what they wanted, but a couple people got bumped into the A division unwillingly. Although it might be more of a travel, a lot of TSS's have said that its easier to learn in the A since its smaller

I just read your post again...yeah, it would definitely be a bitch to go to the A if you live all the way by Stillwell! Hopefully when its time for you to pick the B won't be full

Really? I thought if you picked division A its number lines and you work in Manhattan. But im guessing since a good bit of Manhattan trains go through bronx and queens Id assuming the Yards are there. And also, how do they determine who picks divisions first? I know they have 40 at a time for classes and they split em up. After that i have no idea how they do the splitting up into divisons.

Really? I thought if you picked division A its number lines and you work in Manhattan. But im guessing since a good bit of Manhattan trains go through bronx and queens Id assuming the Yards are there. And also, how do they determine who picks divisions first? I know they have 40 at a time for classes and they split em up. After that i have no idea how they do the splitting up into divisons.

If they give you the opportunity to pick your Division you get to pick in senority order. They will hire 40. 20 will go to A Div and 20 will go to the B Div.

Then each 20 per Division will get broken down in groups of 10. Those 10 will be assigned to 2 TSS's.

EX: 20 A Division students will be split further into two classes of 10 students each.

Edited by elantra06

Are all the schoolcar classes at the same time of day? And if so can anyone shed light on what time that maybe? From the looks of prior posts it seems as it is round about 7am. Would like some insight in order to set up child care if and when the time arises. TIA

If they give you the opportunity to pick your Division you get to pick in senority order. They will hire 40. 20 will go to A Div and 20 will go to the B Div.

Then each 20 per Division will get broken down in groups of 10. Those 10 will be assigned to 2 TSS's.

EX: 20 A Division students will be split further into two classes of 10 students each.

Seniority?? Were all training. Noone has more seniority than anyone else. Unless they go by list #

I know this is a stupid question. Let's say I unwillingly have to take the A division. Is there a possibility of being in the B division in the future? I live very near Stillwell. (I can walk there) If I get the A division is a real hassle for me. If I get the B division, I think I can get jobs at Stillwell.

Yes, I got the call. I don't want to give specifics as to when I'm suppose to go or when I got the call. I'm filling out the booklet now. Sorry I don't want people to know who I am in real life. If someone at 180 livingston reads this, I don't want them to know who I am.

When you get called your seniority is determined by your list number. So they call you in seniority order to pick A or B. If your desired Div closes out you go to the other one. You will be stuck in that Div until you have enough seniority to pick a job in the other Div. The average waiting time is 2 to 3 years before you can do that. Please keep this in Mind just because you live close to a terminal like Stillwell does not mean your going to get most of your jobs there. You will still travel to Bedford Pk In the Bx and Jamaica Queens. Like In A Div I know someone who lived by Pelham and got sent to Utica and Flatbush every day. If you live in SI it don't matter what Div you go to your going to travel. However when you can pick then you look at those jobs in south Bklyn.