Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Seniority within your own class makes a big difference. For me, it was the difference between working the (4) for 4 days, and having to go to the (7) twice a week in this current pick. Since one of my classmates ahead of me also wanted the (4), he got the last jobs left on that line instead.....and he'll continue to get every job that we both want as long as we're still both C/Rs! For everyone who starts the same day, your seniority rank is determined by your list #, which first comes from your exam score, and then is randomly generated.

As for changing divisions, if there is a sudden shortage in one division, you may get drafted over, but that will happen right away since they do it to those with the lowest seniority. Otherwise, you have to stay in your division until you have enough seniority to pick a job in the other one. For T/O's that usually takes a couple years. The trend lately has been for A-Div crews to pick jobs sooner than B-Div. T/O's who started 2 years ago were able to pick a job in June 2012, while B-Div T/O's are STILL XX going into the December 2012 pick!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I got the call. I don't want to give specifics as to when I'm suppose to go or when I got the call. I'm filling out the booklet now. Sorry I don't want people to know who I am in real life. If someone at 180 livingston reads this, I don't want them to know who I am.

There are no Secrets in RTO...

Just saying....

If one switches from the A line to B line, is there some sort of retraining involved? I mean they can't just put you there. Otherwise there'll be no differences in the training classes.

Yes. You will need to learn the equipment in the B DIv and get qualified on it.

On the 21 page booklet, it says if you need more than 8 pages of employment pages you can fill out extra pages. Where do I get these extra pages? Should I just photocopy one and add it on?

They will have extra pages at 180 Livingston on the wall you can get by the section where you did your Drug test.

Yes, I got the call. I don't want to give specifics as to when I'm suppose to go or when I got the call. I'm filling out the booklet now. Sorry I don't want people to know who I am in real life. If someone at 180 livingston reads this, I don't want them to know who I am.

Don't worry once you hand in your 21 page book they will know who you are. In fact the will know everything about you going back 10yrs so your good...lol

When you get called your seniority is determined by your list number. So they call you in seniority order to pick A or B. If your desired Div closes out you go to the other one. You will be stuck in that Div until you have enough seniority to pick a job in the other Div. The average waiting time is 2 to 3 years before you can do that. Please keep this in Mind just because you live close to a terminal like Stillwell does not mean your going to get most of your jobs there. You will still travel to Bedford Pk In the Bx and Jamaica Queens. Like In A Div I know someone who lived by Pelham and got sent to Utica and Flatbush every day. If you live in SI it don't matter what Div you go to your going to travel. However when you can pick then you look at those jobs in south Bklyn.

Ok Im sorta following ya. So what would be the best bet for me since I live in Staten Island? Div A or Div B?? I Dont wanna travel so much but if worst comes to worst so be it. Ill take what I can get. Im not gunna give up my position because of an extra 30 mins of travel time.

Staten Island? You do have a car, right? Nowadays you can't rely on the system if there's a storm now that they shut everything down, especially out there

Yea I do. I know the system isnt as reliable as it used to be. So if anything happens I can always drive in. But otherwise ill drive to the ferry and take the boat in and whatnot

I went in for medical and final processing on Friday , 11/30/2012 . I'm happy to report that I will be starting my new career on Monday 12/17/2012 . A great XMAS present !!! GL to all on the O/C list 8098.

Congrats! I'm in the 12/17 class myself - I'll B c'ying ya in 2 weeks!

What happens in a storm and they shut the system down and you have to report from Brooklyn to the Bronx? Is it my problem to try to get to work? :D Do they fire people for not going to work? I heard that some mta workers didn't get pay during the storm.

Am I correct, 2 classes have happened already for the open competitive exam. From the way they are going through the list it's taking them 100 people from the open list to fill a class of 40 students? Is it, because of no shows? or mostly people failing medical?

Am I correct, 2 classes have happened already for the open competitive exam. From the way they are going through the list it's taking them 100 people from the open list to fill a class of 40 students? Is it, because of no shows? or mostly people failing medical?

Its a combo of everything. People no showing for whatever reason. Failing drug tests, getting put on medical hold etc etc. My list is 249 and Im in the 12-17 class. Idk when the first OC class was but theyre already up to my number so it shows how fast theyre going thru it

This is how it beaks down. A Div is mostly the Bronx 242/Bway, Woodlawn, 241 St and 239 YD in Wakefield, Eastchester Dyre, E 180, Parchester, Pelham Westchester YD. QUeens Main S and Corona. Manhattan 148 Lenox, Times Sq 7 line and South Ferry. Brooklyn Utica, New Lots Flatbush.

B Div Bronx Bedford Pk and Concouse YD Manhattan 207 St, 168 St, 145 St, 14/8, World trade and City Hall. Queens 179 Jamica, Jamaica Center, Continental Forest Hills, Jamica YD , Astoria, Lefferts, Far Rockaway and Rock Pk, Met Brooklyn Coney Island YD and Stillwell Term, 95 St, Canarcie, Brighton Beach , Kings Highway F , Dekalb , East NY YD, Euclid Ave, Pitkin YD, Charch Ave G Line.

I may have missed some but this is what Extra looks like in both Div.

This is how it beaks down. A Div is mostly the Bronx 242/Bway, Woodlawn, 241 St and 239 YD in Wakefield, Eastchester Dyre, E 180, Parchester, Pelham Westchester YD. QUeens Main S and Corona. Manhattan 148 Lenox, Times Sq 7 line and South Ferry. Brooklyn Utica, New Lots Flatbush.

B Div Bronx Bedford Pk and Concouse YD Manhattan 207 St, 168 St, 145 St, 14/8, World trade and City Hall. Queens 179 Jamica, Jamaica Center, Continental Forest Hills, Jamica YD , Astoria, Lefferts, Far Rockaway and Rock Pk, Met Brooklyn Coney Island YD and Stillwell Term, 95 St, Canarcie, Brighton Beach , Kings Highway F , Dekalb , East NY YD, Euclid Ave, Pitkin YD, Charch Ave G Line.

I may have missed some but this is what Extra looks like in both Div.

So Dave, since i live in Staten Island, which would be the best division for me to pick??

so...someone with specific knowledge on this matter, please help me here: i need to understand:

what is this "extra" or "extra extra" business? i heard ppl saying they were fighting/praying to pick up jobs...what does that mean?

once you pass the class u get sent somewhere and then there's nothing for you to do? just sit around playing with your fingers? at least do you get paid for that? and if a whole day or days or week goes by and you were not given a job then what?? no paycheck? what's the point of hiring all these ppl if there are no jobs for them to do? I have also read somewhere that in the first 1-3 yrs you will be at work for a total of like 12-16 hours /day as they kindda "split" your day up...so you do a run then you have a 2-3 hours "break" ( which does not count as working hours and so you do not get paid for it) and then maybe you pick another run and then you have another " break" and so on until u make the total of 8 "working hours" - which means u actually work all day to get paid for 8 hours....i find this to be ludicrous ...IS IT TRUE???????

Also...is it true you start this job with no vacation days or sick days? an you have to work overtime and take that in time ( not $$$) to build some vacation days? IS THIS TRUE???? and if yes, how is this even legal??? nyc/nys labor laws do not apply to MTA???

Guys, I get it...a job is a job these days....I am just trying to get some accurate info...i heard/read too many different things....

Tks. so much ......

when do you think they will get to #1,500??

so...someone with specific knowledge on this matter, please help me here: i need to understand:

what is this "extra" or "extra extra" business? i heard ppl saying they were fighting/praying to pick up jobs...what does that mean?

once you pass the class u get sent somewhere and then there's nothing for you to do? just sit around playing with your fingers? at least do you get paid for that? and if a whole day or days or week goes by and you were not given a job then what?? no paycheck? what's the point of hiring all these ppl if there are no jobs for them to do? I have also read somewhere that in the first 1-3 yrs you will be at work for a total of like 12-16 hours /day as they kindda "split" your day up...so you do a run then you have a 2-3 hours "break" ( which does not count as working hours and so you do not get paid for it) and then maybe you pick another run and then you have another " break" and so on until u make the total of 8 "working hours" - which means u actually work all day to get paid for 8 hours....i find this to be ludicrous ...IS IT TRUE???????

Also...is it true you start this job with no vacation days or sick days? an you have to work overtime and take that in time ( not $$$) to build some vacation days? IS THIS TRUE???? and if yes, how is this even legal??? nyc/nys labor laws do not apply to MTA???

Guys, I get it...a job is a job these days....I am just trying to get some accurate info...i heard/read too many different things....

Tks. so much ......

All this is TRUE

Tks. so much ......

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT all of this is true. They HAVE TO pay you if youre an extra. Even if you dont work youll get your 8 hours. My friend got paid when he was an extra and didnt get work. About the other stuff Im not going to say yes or no because I dont know. When it gets to your turn though whenever they call, take it. Its kinda hell when you first start being on the extra extra but it is what it is. I heard you get a chance at alot of OT when you first start but like I said you will get paid for being an extra. Dont get discouraged by what you "heard" and the guy above me saying its all true.

My friend who works in the MTA told me to watch what you read in the forums because some people make stuff up to discourage u from taking the job but in here is very reliable. Theres people you can trust with their info but not everyone is going to tell you the truth.

Tks. so much ......

Who is telling you this? Almost all the information you received is wrong. Basically any minute you are on transit time you will be paid. Down to the minute.

"XX" means you dont own a job. You dont have a regular reporting time or location. You will sent to any location within the division depending on what tour you are given.