Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Hahaha you are a extra when u 1st get hired and yes u could be sitting around a crewroom waiting for a job to open up but of course you get paid for this that would be unlawful..I'm not sure how the vac time works it was posted here b4 about the different types of days and ppl even gave helpful pointers how to use these days

With a list# in the 1500s I would say you got at least a yr to go give or take

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha you are a extra when u 1st get hired and yes u could be sitting around a crewroom waiting for a job to open up but of course you get paid for this that would be unlawful..I'm not sure how the vac time works it was posted here b4 about the different types of days and ppl even gave helpful pointers how to use these days

With a list# in the 1500s I would say you got at least a yr to go give or take

Idk who this Dan guy is but it was pretty humorous that he said it was all true. I also remember you saying how much top pay is for a T/O. I still havnt found info on that yet btw

so...someone with specific knowledge on this matter, please help me here: i need to understand:

what is this "extra" or "extra extra" business? i heard ppl saying they were fighting/praying to pick up jobs...what does that mean?

once you pass the class u get sent somewhere and then there's nothing for you to do? just sit around playing with your fingers? at least do you get paid for that? and if a whole day or days or week goes by and you were not given a job then what?? no paycheck? what's the point of hiring all these ppl if there are no jobs for them to do? I have also read somewhere that in the first 1-3 yrs you will be at work for a total of like 12-16 hours /day as they kindda "split" your day up...so you do a run then you have a 2-3 hours "break" ( which does not count as working hours and so you do not get paid for it) and then maybe you pick another run and then you have another " break" and so on until u make the total of 8 "working hours" - which means u actually work all day to get paid for 8 hours....i find this to be ludicrous ...IS IT TRUE???????

Also...is it true you start this job with no vacation days or sick days? an you have to work overtime and take that in time ( not $$$) to build some vacation days? IS THIS TRUE???? and if yes, how is this even legal??? nyc/nys labor laws do not apply to MTA???

Guys, I get it...a job is a job these days....I am just trying to get some accurate info...i heard/read too many different things....

Tks. so much ......

when do you think they will get to #1,500??

Seriously dude you need to relax.... <_<. You are guaranteed a 40hr work week. As an extra extra you may just sit in the crew office for 8hrs without working a job and then go home. The easiest $30/hr you made that day. You may sit for 4hrs then get assigned a 7hr job. You will get paid for the 4hrs on standby and then for the entire run you just picked up. In the MTA you are paid for every hour that you worked... Until you gain enough senority to pick a steady job you will be assigned to any terminal the crew office needs you at during the week in your Division. You may also report to a Bronx terminal then get sent 2hrs later to start a job at a brooklyn location.

While you are in schoolcar that is what being an extra extra is like. You will be reporting to a different crew office or yard everyday in your division.

Edited by elantra06

Idk who this Dan guy is but it was pretty humorous that he said it was all true. I also remember you saying how much top pay is for a T/O. I still havnt found info on that yet btw

I wrote its "TRUE" because thats the most silliest thing I ever read.

Edited by Dan05979

so...someone with specific knowledge on this matter, please help me here: i need to understand:

what is this "extra" or "extra extra" business? i heard ppl saying they were fighting/praying to pick up jobs...what does that mean?

once you pass the class u get sent somewhere and then there's nothing for you to do? just sit around playing with your fingers? at least do you get paid for that? and if a whole day or days or week goes by and you were not given a job then what?? no paycheck? what's the point of hiring all these ppl if there are no jobs for them to do? I have also read somewhere that in the first 1-3 yrs you will be at work for a total of like 12-16 hours /day as they kindda "split" your day up...so you do a run then you have a 2-3 hours "break" ( which does not count as working hours and so you do not get paid for it) and then maybe you pick another run and then you have another " break" and so on until u make the total of 8 "working hours" - which means u actually work all day to get paid for 8 hours....i find this to be ludicrous ...IS IT TRUE???????

Also...is it true you start this job with no vacation days or sick days? an you have to work overtime and take that in time ( not $$$) to build some vacation days? IS THIS TRUE???? and if yes, how is this even legal??? nyc/nys labor laws do not apply to MTA???

Guys, I get it...a job is a job these days....I am just trying to get some accurate info...i heard/read too many different things....

Tks. so much ......

when do you think they will get to #1,500??

Dude, you're getting your info from the wrong person!! A lot of the info you put up here is seriously untrue

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT all of this is true. They HAVE TO pay you if youre an extra. Even if you dont work youll get your 8 hours. My friend got paid when he was an extra and didnt get work. About the other stuff Im not going to say yes or no because I dont know. When it gets to your turn though whenever they call, take it. Its kinda hell when you first start being on the extra extra but it is what it is. I heard you get a chance at alot of OT when you first start but like I said you will get paid for being an extra. Dont get discouraged by what you "heard" and the guy above me saying its all true.

My friend who works in the MTA told me to watch what you read in the forums because some people make stuff up to discourage u from taking the job but in here is very reliable. Theres people you can trust with their info but not everyone is going to tell you the truth.

I guess you couldnt tell that the man was Joking Right? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: its all in fun!

Edited by RTOMan

The only thing I can strees is being new your XX and it is very stressful on your life. You HAVE NO LIFE, your a pawn in the game, your a fill-in a pee on, a piece of garbage, TRUST ME!!! Your suppose to get 12 hours between jobs but they could give a shit if it takes you 12 hours to get home. I'm almost at the point of quitting. But I was able to pick jobs that start soon. But when the next pick comes around I might get pushed back to being XX because alot of C/R's who went for T/O came back to their former title. And with Train operator, you'll be picking maybe in 2 to 3 years. I was lucky and got to pick only after 1 year on the job. So keep this in mind.

Edited by Dan05979

Ok Dan don't hold back let us know how you really feel about the Job? I know your not complaining on pay day? However getting real you get paid to sit on the board and everything over 8 hours is overtime pay. It's not easy being extra you will have no life it's true but that's not for ever.

Ok Dan don't hold back let us know how you really feel about the Job? I know your not complaining on pay day? However getting real you get paid to sit on the board and everything over 8 hours is overtime pay. It's not easy being extra you will have no life it's true but that's not for ever.

Pay day I get the life sucked out of me with taxes but thats my business. My post had nothing to do about pay. My post had everything to do with what your going to experience being new...

Pay day I get the life sucked out of me with taxes but thats my business. My post had nothing to do about pay. My post had everything to do with what your going to experience being new...

I can only imagine the taxes they take out of your check. Especially when OT kicks in

Anyone want to share what a typical pay check amounts to for a T/O in school car, and a few months out of school car?

I broke it down like this because I was thinking the same thing. Schoolcar is 40 hours a week at $30.03 an hour. Which equals 1201.20 a week. You get paid bi weekly so thats 2402.40 minus the 567,456.76% in taxes so you come home with $42.16. Lol jk probably around 15-1700 every two weeks. Also you may get a few hrs of OT in schoolcar but I cant or wont confirm that because IDK

Anyone want to share what a typical pay check amounts to for a T/O in school car, and a few months out of school car?

i can see people are going to get screwed down here. Budget only at only a 40 work week at the starting pay. You're not guaranteed more than 40. Sure, they're are going to be weeks where you work more than 40 hrs but that's not going to be all the time. You try and budget at more than that and you'll be working paycheck to paycheck.

i can see people are going to get screwed down here. Budget only at only a 40 work week at the starting pay. You're not guaranteed more than 40. Sure, they're are going to be weeks where you work more than 40 hrs but that's not going to be all the time. You try and budget at more than that and you'll be working paycheck to paycheck.

How are some people going to get screwed?

Because they tend to budget as if they will work more than 40 hrs and when they get weeks when they barely make more than 40 they'll be hit hard.

Yea thats true. But hey if theyre not smart with their money not your problem right? And not mine either. Im planning on a 40 hr a week budget max. If I get OT, then its an added bonus. If you live in your means then this is a great job to have and youll have a good bit of money when you retire. If not than oh well not my problem.