Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I figure as with my carpenters union oay rate at $44 and change an hr. They always take about .25-. 30 times the amount paid from my check so I figure 1800-2000 every 2 weeks take home. But I am married with 2 kids.

So that means theyre taking out about 1,500 in taxes every 2 weeks. This govt is absolutely disgusting.

Edited by MooseMania86

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never said that. Take $2400 and multiply by 25% and you get about $500 in taxes. More if you are single.

You said your payrate is 44 and change an hr. i did a 44 even per hour times 80 hrs for every two weeks. That gave me roughly a $3500 paycheck i believe. You said you take home 1800-2000 every two weeks. So that gave me the $1500 in taxes they take out..........nvmmm thats the TO pay lol

Edited by MooseMania86

All I can say is the pay as a T/O is great compared to my previous employment which I'll say again I'm thankful for. The first paycheck of the month covers ALL of my monthly expenses and I still have about $300 left over from that. The second one just literally sits in the bank. Being that I am single with no kids the money I can put aside and save every pay period will be ridicoulous. I feel like I hit the lottery.

I budgeted for a 40hr work week. So that helps.

I would estimate that 35% would be taken out of your checks for fed, city, state taxes. That's approx what I have taken out now at my reg job. 80* $30 (to pay) =2400. I You might get 1,560 a check, but that probably doesn't include medical deductions and etc.

Edited by Dahon5

moose, I never said carpenters get paid every 2 weeks. TO's do. The funny bone is connected to the arm bone. A carpenter brings home about $1300 a week after taxes.

and i am expecting to take home $1800 or so every 2 weeks as a TO. Wow, you confused me for a min.

Lol i guess we confused each other. Are u taking the T/O job? Or are you on already? The pay is better as a carpenter though. Why did you decide to change careers, or are you?

City tax doesn't apply to me. I have always figured 24% and I alwaus qond up with more then what I calculate, lucky for me. Carpenters union has been on the downslide lately. It was good to me when I joined 10 plus years ago. Cpnstruction for 20 years has taken its toll and it isn't as dun anymore. Need a change. When you stop loving what you are doing, you have to reevaluate things. Thankfuk I am still young enough and have this opp. My number is the 4hundred and teens. Should be getting dt letter very soon.

City tax doesn't apply to me. I have always figured 24% and I alwaus qond up with more then what I calculate, lucky for me. Carpenters union has been on the downslide lately. It was good to me when I joined 10 plus years ago. Cpnstruction for 20 years has taken its toll and it isn't as dun anymore. Need a change. When you stop loving what you are doing, you have to reevaluate things. Thankfuk I am still young enough and have this opp. My number is the 4hundred and teens. Should be getting dt letter very soon.

Yea it shouldnt be too long till you get it. Im near 250 and I start 12-17. Thats true too when you dont like what youre doing you gotta change it up. Then you mess up on the job cuz u dont care and so on and so forth and who knows you may wind up getting fired and whatnot

Just from reading the posts, I think not yet. It seems that you take the drug test and fill out the preliminary application forms. Once you clear the drug test you get the 2nd letter for full physical and present the comprehensive 21 page application, which is compared against the preliminary forms completed and submitted during the drug test i.e. "the interview".

btw, whats ur list#? GL if ur taking the drug test.

I know Dan but your making money with all those long hours even with the government taking a lot out. I know I been single for the longest until last year. You just make the job sound so bad but you can't wait to be a T/O.

I'm just telling it how its is down here & what to expect, so these guys who want to work here understand the grass isn't greener on the other side all the time.

Yes I want to move up to the front because C/R is not my thing. C/R was to get my foot in the door.

Lol i guess we confused each other. Are u taking the T/O job? Or are you on already? The pay is better as a carpenter though. Why did you decide to change careers, or are you?

Pay wasnt better than a Plumber...

I took a pay cut to come down here lol..

Still its a job i wanted to do i got my 7 years in as a plumber, i got a pension coming to me...

Hello all, I posted a question yesterday asking if anyone knew if being a diabetic will automatically disqualify one from the medical. Any help would be appreciated. I also want to put out there that my list # is between 325-335 and I still haven't received any correspondence from either the MTA or DCAS. If anyone else is facing similar problems, please advise.. thanks!

Guys who went for the drug test: do you need your college degree or transcripts if you claimed that for any of the 5 years of experience when applying?

YES!! I'm not sure if you'll need your transcripts, but most definitely your degree. Bring everything they listed on the notice they sent you

In response to the "grass not being greener" all the time down here, i guess people look at it differently. This is definitely a better job in most ways than my previous employment, and thats not to say anything bad about my last employer because i enjoyed working there for the most part. I have no kids and im not married, so although my social life might be put on hold for a little bit, this is a great position for me! I can understand how some people might not like it because of the time it can take from you, but it is what it is!!

I was told I won't have a life the first few years (when I get the job). I said "I'm fine with that... At least my bills will be paid up and on time. And I'll be able to save a lot of money so when I do get a somewhat decent schedule and vacation time - I'll be able to afford all the bells and whistles". Yep!!! I don't mind sacrificing my social life for a bit!!

I was told I won't have a life the first few years (when I get the job). I said "I'm fine with that... At least my bills will be paid up and on time. And I'll be able to save a lot of money so when I do get a somewhat decent schedule and vacation time - I'll be able to afford all the bells and whistles". Yep!!! I don't mind sacrificing my social life for a bit!!

You dont have to totally sacrifice your social life. Its not like your workin 7 days a week. Youll have atleast one day to do something. I mean we'll bust our asses for 5 days and pick up alot of hours but its a small price to pay when you pick a legit schedule to work with. Plus think of all the OT that may be available as well.

You dont have to totally sacrifice your social life. Its not like your workin 7 days a week. Youll have atleast one day to do something. I mean we'll bust our asses for 5 days and pick up alot of hours but its a small price to pay when you pick a legit schedule to work with. Plus think of all the OT that may be available as well.

Agree with you 100%. I plan to work as many RDO's as my body will allow the first few years. Not as if I'm a party animal right now. Rather make $$$ than sit on my behind at home. Haha!