Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this has been said by anyone here, but please regard the following:

This is my unsolicited advice to anyone going for T/O or any Operating position within MTA:

Please, please, please have ALL of the documents they ask you to bring the first time and all times after. Not having them WILL jeopardize your chances of being processed further, i.e. hired.

Also, please, please, please make sure your health is in order because the doc's WILL put you on medical hold for high blood pressure or diabetes or anything else that seems wonky to them. Eat right and find some sort of activity that develops your lung and heart capacities.

DO NOT give MTA ANY excuse to not hire you. From the time you take the test, prepare for the job. You'll thank yourself 3 1/2 - 4 years later.

If anyone has anything else to add here, feel free.

mind sharing the EXACT documents needed? i want to have a folder prepped WAY before hand. 

I don't know if this has been said by anyone here, but please regard the following:

This is my unsolicited advice to anyone going for T/O or any Operating position within MTA:

Please, please, please have ALL of the documents they ask you to bring the first time and all times after. Not having them WILL jeopardize your chances of being processed further, i.e. hired.

Also, please, please, please make sure your health is in order because the doc's WILL put you on medical hold for high blood pressure or diabetes or anything else that seems wonky to them. Eat right and find some sort of activity that develops your lung and heart capacities.

DO NOT give MTA ANY excuse to not hire you. From the time you take the test, prepare for the job. You'll thank yourself 3 1/2 - 4 years later.

If anyone has anything else to add here, feel free.

Been reading this thread since the beginning and this is by far the best post! ( My opinion )

I am in the lower
section of 550 - 600 numbers. Passed the exam but did not think seriously about
getting the job, couldnt believe that not-a-native-speaker can make it.

But now... Passed
medical successfully, was presented with a huge package of materials to study. Was
given employee numbers. Was told to start class of 02.25. Was sworn.

Question: am I hired?

Asking, cause my work
history is not perfect. Cant be. It is not easy to settle down in New York City. Basic facts are OK, but... Could MTA
still call me, ask for explanation of certain facts? And, if the answer wont satisfied them - reverse hiring decision?

Or maybe, just maybe - wishful thinking - they check my file at SSA already and decided that my work history is good enough for them - nobody is perfect, right?

Just started new job

as a truck driver. Told my boss that I became sick, very sick, and stayed home
instead going to LA.

Afraid that I gonna

lose the job I have and will not be hired by MTA :(

You will be told what documents to bring. 

how long will I have from the day im told till the day im supposed to present said paper work? 

I was hoping one of you guys could just tell me so I can gather that information asap, just wanted to be extra prepared.

how long will I have from the day im told till the day im supposed to present said paper work?

I was hoping one of you guys could just tell me so I can gather that information asap, just wanted to be extra prepared.

I believe on your first trip down there, they want your ss card, hs diploma, and 10 years of work history. The second trip you bring back a 21 page book filled out that's given to you on your first trip. In that they want your work history going back to high school. Make sure all that info you give them is extremely accurate. They don't like folks who lie and they will find out and they will pull you out of school car and fire you. Also, as its been said many times before, make sure your medical is in order.

I believe on your first trip down there, they want your ss card, hs diploma, and 10 years of work history. The second trip you bring back a 21 page book filled out that's given to you on your first trip. In that they want your work history going back to high school. Make sure all that info you give them is extremely accurate. They don't like folks who lie and they will find out and they will pull you out of school car and fire you. Also, as its been said many times before, make sure your medical is in order.

very helpful thank you.

will i have to present my work history in resume form? or i can just have it typed up for my convenience in a basic format to refer to ?

im assuming im just writing that info by hand onto their forms and they dont need a resume 

thanks again for the help, i really is appreciated 

The word from a school car tss is they are going to have a class every month through the end of the year. Apparently they need to hire something like 330 train operators. I also heard some crazy figure, Apparently 70% of train operators are eligible for retirement right now. Not sure How true that it, sound nuts to me.

very helpful thank you.

will i have to present my work history in resume form? or i can just have it typed up for my convenience in a basic format to refer to ?

im assuming im just writing that info by hand onto their forms and they dont need a resume

thanks again for the help, i really is appreciated

you'll get A letter in the mail with the form to fill out for your first trip down there for the drug test. The letter will have everything you need to know, no need to type up anything. The second time around you'll get a phone call telling you when to report for your medical.

The word from a school car tss is they are going to have a class every month through the end of the year. Apparently they need to hire something like 330 train operators. I also heard some crazy figure, Apparently 70% of train operators are eligible for retirement right now. Not sure How true that it, sound nuts to me.

you'll get A letter in the mail with the form to fill out for your first trip down there for the drug test. The letter will have everything you need to know, no need to type up anything. The second time around you'll get a phone call telling you when to report for your medical.

Cool, Thanks again, Im hesitant to ask stuff because most people here come off as annoyed by it lol so I appreciate it

I'm a little bit nervous about this. My number is very close and I re-read the application quickly. When I took the exam I had 1.5 years work experience and 3 years completed in school. I earned my 108 credits which would qualify for half a year in May. The exam was in April.

So technically I was short 1 month for qualification on the testing date.

Now I have all my college finished and an additional 3 years professional experience.

Any thoughts how that might work out? Have they been strict on the monitioring of "5 years prior to April 2009"

Any advice I can get to make the last month qualification? It says paid experiences so my internships don't count.

Cool, Thanks again, Im hesitant to ask stuff because most people here come off as annoyed by it lol so I appreciate it

Dont be hesitant to ask,  not all of us here on this foroum have forgotten that we were on the outside looking in once.  And as dagenius69 said make sure you have any medical issues taken care of before they call you for the medical part of the hiring process since they check you pretty much for everything, for example: blood pressure, diabetes, ekg, vision and hearing.

WOW - that's pretty encouraging. It seems that for each class of 40 they are processing some 150 people and then relooping back to previous list #'s that were on some type of hold.

I don't know about the 70% retirement eligible, but if its high enough, there could be a large exodus since many would want to protect their pensions (topic was briefly discussed a few days ago). If this holds true this list could reach as high as the 1300's. Please keep in mind that these comments are all just speculation.

The word from a school car tss is they are going to have a class every month through the end of the year. Apparently they need to hire something like 330 train operators. I also heard some crazy figure, Apparently 70% of train operators are eligible for retirement right now. Not sure How true that it, sound nuts to me. you'll get A letter in the mail with the form to fill out for your first trip down there for the drug test. The letter will have everything you need to know, no need to type up anything. The second time around you'll get a phone call telling you when to report for your medical.

Sounds like music to my ears.

At the rate this list is going they may well reach the 1300's by this October. Anyhow, I asked this question before and nobody answered; so I will ask it again. (Only answer if you went down for the medical). How long does the EKG test take???

An EKG or an electrocardiogram is a test that measures heart activity, mostly to check the electrical impulses of your heart.The test itself is usually under 3 minutes. Now waiting around for the doctors to call you and then waiting for them to hook up a bunch of leads all over you and possibly calibrating the machines and then waiting around for the results could take a bit of time that likely varies by patient. It doesn't matter how long it takes, just schedule to be off work for good that day or at least 5 hours.

Did you go to the start of the thread and read It?

When i started from off the street in 2001 as a Train Operator there was Nothing like this out here to help me at all for a lot of my classmates.

We walked in not knowing what to expect.

Im sure if you took the time to read the thread any question you had most likely  there's an answer there.

My two  cents...

I was gonna answer you beat me too it Xentor good looking.

Edited by RTOMan

Did you go to the start of the thread and read It?

When i started from off the street in 2001 as a Train Operator there was Nothing like this out here to help me at all for a lot of my classmates.

We walked in not knowing what to expect.

Im sure if you took the time to read the thread any question you had most likely  there's an answer there.

My two  cents...

I was gonna answer you beat me too it Xentor good looking.

Yeah man trust me, ive read threads on here from back to front and 2 times over. just yesterday i went through all 9 pages just scanning for info. this is my first time peaking my in the train operator thread since all my focus was on conductor. 

Yeah man trust me, ive read threads on here from back to front and 2 times over. just yesterday i went through all 9 pages just scanning for info. this is my first time peaking my in the train operator thread since all my focus was on conductor. 

Up Front>In the Middle...

Ok yall can flame me now ha ha ha

An EKG or an electrocardiogram is a test that measures heart activity, mostly to check the electrical impulses of your heart.The test itself is usually under 3 minutes. Now waiting around for the doctors to call you and then waiting for them to hook up a bunch of leads all over you and possibly calibrating the machines and then waiting around for the results could take a bit of time that likely varies by patient. It doesn't matter how long it takes, just schedule to be off work for good that day or at least 5 hours.

Thank u