Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear you. But from what I heard from another TSS that I spoke to down the subway a couple weeks ago. Was that there will be classes all year around, "EVERY MONTH". Due to tons of retiring and being promoted. So I guess in a few weeks they will know the dates for upcoming school car classes for the months of April, May, and June.

Well I'm in school car right now and all we hearing is that there are going to be a lot people retiring within the next few years so be patient grasshoppers and you will get your opportunity soon. 

The TSS I have spoke to said they didn't know anything after the 3/25 class. They did say that the 3/25 class was going to be a pilot class for extra training. Instead of the normal 1-2 weeks of yard posting (depending on your division) they were going to get 3 months of yard work before coming back to school car for their final practicals.

They expected more classes but wouldn't confirm it.

I wish my class were the one's getting the extra time in the yard. But, thousands have gone before us and become good T/O's and even better TSS's.

Edited by kevinetics

I wish my class were the one's getting the extra time in the yard. But, thousands have gone before us and become good T/O's and even better TSS's.

The October 29th Class (those who are left) of 2001 thanks you!

We even got one working  RCC....

The TSS I have spoke to said they didn't know anything after the 3/25 class. They did say that the 3/25 class was going to be a pilot class for extra training. Instead of the normal 1-2 weeks of yard posting (depending on your division) they were going to get 3 months of yard work before coming back to school car for their final practicals.

They expected more classes but wouldn't confirm it.

I'm in the 3/25 class and I sincerely hope that we do not have to work they Yard for 3 months before training for the road. Does that mean that the 3 1/2 months of School Car for A Division will be extended to 6 months ?

I'm in the 3/25 class and I sincerely hope that we do not have to work they Yard for 3 months before training for the road. Does that mean that the 3 1/2 months of School Car for A Division will be extended to 6 months ?

I know, it sucks, but yes, your class will qualify as yard train operators first, then work in the yard for 3 months, then be sent back to school car to qualify for the road. It's a gift and a curse. The bright side is that this will eat up your probationary period so you have less of a chance of messing up on the road while on probation.

Congrats on making the 3/25 class. When did you find out?

A div is actually 4 1/2 months not 3. Back in the day you had to work the yard for a year before they sent you down the road. 3 months is not that bad. This is a good thing, gives you a chance to really learn the equipment and eats up some more of your probation time. 3 months will fly. You got the next 25 years at least to pound the road.

The summer 2013 B-Div picking is going to start on Monday, and only the first 65% of yard jobs are going to be pickable, leaving the rest of them available for new T/Os in schoolcar.

C/R's & T/O's are retiring 10 a week each since the start of 2013....the MTA is going to get A LOT of use out of those open competitive lists! I am kicking myself every day for not taking the O/C T/O exam in 2009, since by the time the next promotional comes around, I'm going to have over 1000 fresh faces ahead of me in seniority.

Edited by Snowblock

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I'm a train operator and I don't want get into too many specifics into identifying myself. But just trust that I am not supervision and I'm not here to monitor anything which is my reason for remaining low key.

I did read some post concerning the new 90 days in yard policy that I wanted to make a few noted points on.

• The November induction was the last of the promotional hires for T/O and also contained open competitive hires.
  • The December induction was the first full open competitive induction.
  • The December induction class is the last class going straight to the road in April (A Div) & in June (B Div).
  • The December induction are classes TA-20, TA-21, TB-30 & TB-31.
  • The January induction class TA-22, TA-23, TB-32 & TB-33 will be the first class going 90 days to yard.

Now having made those points I will mention that the information comes first hand from a variety of sources. Line Supt & and Union Stewards. For those who are recently inducted and are unhappy with the change, please trust me when I say you are lucky and embrace the change with open arms. Policy changes comes as a result of incidents down here and some T/Os have paved the way for you and paid a heavy price in doing so. I won't get into specifics but learning the yards is one of the most difficult parts of the training and you also learn how to fine touch control the train in the yards. When you are assigned to yards you will have a great leg up as a result of this change instead of a heavy handicap.

Lastly.....pay attention! Rest well so you can pay attention and study. A large number of mistakes comes as a result of some information you missed. This is the one job where any and all advice needs to have your undivided attention. Especially when being offered up freely.

Good luck to you all!

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I'm a train operator and I don't want get into too many specifics into identifying myself. But just trust that I am not supervision and I'm not here to monitor anything which is my reason for remaining low key.

I did read some post concerning the new 90 days in yard policy that I wanted to make a few noted points on.

• The November induction was the last of the promotional hires for T/O and also contained open competitive hires.
  • The December induction was the first full open competitive induction.
  • The December induction class is the last class going straight to the road in April (A Div) & in June (B Div).
  • The December induction are classes TA-20, TA-21, TB-30 & TB-31.
  • The January induction class TA-22, TA-23, TB-32 & TB-33 will be the first class going 90 days to yard.

Now having made those points I will mention that the information comes first hand from a variety of sources. Line Supt & and Union Stewards. For those who are recently inducted and are unhappy with the change, please trust me when I say you are lucky and embrace the change with open arms. Policy changes comes as a result of incidents down here and some T/Os have paved the way for you and paid a heavy price in doing so. I won't get into specifics but learning the yards is one of the most difficult parts of the training and you also learn how to fine touch control the train in the yards. When you are assigned to yards you will have a great leg up as a result of this change instead of a heavy handicap.

Lastly.....pay attention! Rest well so you can pay attention and study. A large number of mistakes comes as a result of some information you missed. This is the one job where any and all advice needs to have your undivided attention. Especially when being offered up freely.

Good luck to you all!

Very well put, This is very informal to this thread. Thanks.

OK>>>>>>>>>>>

Soooooo.....I just called DCAS auto line.....

It said the LAST # CERTIFIED is 4618 and THE LAST # APPOINTED is 582

Does this mean that first 4618 ppl on the list were sent ( well, their names !!) to MTA ? If yes, then MTA is planning to go through this many ppl for now and the near future? THIS MEAN A LOT OF CLASSES AND A LOT OF HIRING !!!!!

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Tks

As per our TSS's in school car, only the 3/25 class and all others going forward will get the extra 3 months. They also specified this is a pilot program. I made sure to ask today for affirmation. But, I'm sure, as with anything, it's all subject to change.

The November induction was the last of the promotional hires for T/O and also contained open competitive hires.

The December induction was the first full open competitive induction.

The December induction class is the last class going straight to the road in April (A Div) & in June (B Div).

The December induction are classes TA-20, TA-21, TB-30 & TB-31.

The January induction class TA-22, TA-23, TB-32 & TB-33 will be the first class going 90 days

The November induction class was all people off the open competitive list. There were a couple of bus drivers and i think 2 conductors in the class but they all came from the open list not the promo list. I remember very clearly the first day when the tss asked who came off the promo list, no one raised their hands.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

As per our TSS's in school car, only the 3/25 class and all others going forward will get the extra 3 months. They also specified this is a pilot program. I made sure to ask today for affirmation. But, I'm sure, as with anything, it's all subject to change.

Which is of coruse screwing up the Pick since they have to have more Yd Jobs for the New T/O's and its bumping people out of Jobs...

I say it will last just this Pick until they figure out something else, this was another "reactionary" Move...