Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I went in for medical and final processing on 4/23. I passed everything and was surprised when the interviewer asked if i can start on Monday 4/29. I turned it down for now because I am aware I have a shaky background.I told them that I would prefer for my background check to be completed before I accept the job because I would hate to resign from my job now (which is a good job) without giving adequate notice and burning that bridge to accept the position without knowing if the MTA will accept my background as is. She said i was risking for the list to expire before the background check is complete. I think I would be taking a bigger risk if I take the job now and Good forbid get fired because of my background and quitting my last job and having a burnt bridge with them and staying unemployed. Does these background checks really take that long? Has anyone ever requested their background check completed before appointment?

Man listen, no disrespect but you should have took the job. Even with your shaky background, if you were truthful and disclosed everything, and they still wanna hire you, why turn it down. Trust me if they thought something was shady in your background, the interviewer would have went over it with you and asked you about it. So if they are offering you the job, obviously they don't see anything to worry about. You had to list all arrests and all that stuff so if you were truthful and disclosed everything, then of course they saw it but still decided to offer you a job. Should have took the offer my friend.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man listen, no disrespect but you should have took the job. Even with your shaky background, if you were truthful and disclosed everything, and they still wanna hire you, why turn it down. Trust me if they thought something was shady in your background, the interviewer would have went over it with you and asked you about it. So if they are offering you the job, obviously they don't see anything to worry about. You had to list all arrests and all that stuff so if you were truthful and disclosed everything, then of course they saw it but still decided to offer you a job. Should have took the offer my friend.

Totally agree with what you said  they know about it they still wanted him..

Oh well to each is own.

Totally agree with what you said  they know about it they still wanted him..

Oh well to each is own.

You know what I say right.....KEEP IT MOVING there's other people who are waiting. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Yesterday I was sworn in and will report to orientation this Monday. Take every dates they have and do not refuse it if you have other matters to care of. The agency needs full time conmitment to the job during probation.

Google nycsubway.org signals to study more about signals and go on railfanning yourself to give you an idea how trains speed are controlled.

I went in for medical and final processing on 4/23. I passed everything and was surprised when the interviewer asked if i can start on Monday 4/29. I turned it down for now because I am aware I have a shaky background.I told them that I would prefer for my background check to be completed before I accept the job because I would hate to resign from my job now (which is a good job) without giving adequate notice and burning that bridge to accept the position without knowing if the MTA will accept my background as is. She said i was risking for the list to expire before the background check is complete. I think I would be taking a bigger risk if I take the job now and Good forbid get fired because of my background and quitting my last job and having a burnt bridge with them and staying unemployed. Does these background checks really take that long? Has anyone ever requested their background check completed before appointment?

Yoshi for your information. If you disclosed everything that you did in life and MTA looked it over, called you in for final processing, then you good to go. Trust me , MTA does their homework before calling you down for final processing. And unlike most agencies, MTA will work with you and your past. I remember a former drug addict turning his life around and now a bus operator. He disclosed all to MTA. It was a two page pullout in daily news. Unless you havent disclosed all the skeletons in your closet. I just know that you gave up a good paying job for no reason. Hope they are still hiring when you are ready. Background checks are done in a day or two.GL.

Google nycsubway.org signals to study more about signals and go on railfanning yourself to give you an idea how trains speed are controlled.

DO NOT read up on any thing signal related for this Job online!

All it will do is give incorrect definitions and you will fail that signal Quiz. Then its hand in your tools and have a nice day..

I cannot stress this enough.

You will receive all that is required for you to know in Schoolcar Material Wise.

DO NOT read up on any thing signal related for this Job online!

All it will do is give incorrect definitions and you will fail that signal Quiz. Then its hand in your tools and have a nice day..

I cannot stress this enough.

You will receive all that is required for you to know in Schoolcar Material Wise.

I definetly agree with that, school car gives you all you need to pass that signal exam and become a successful train operator.  To all coming in new just study the material given to you and pay attention to your instructors and you will do fine as long as you put in your best effort.

Hi All, I have a question on the 21 page book. In the section for the traffic offenses i had 2 moving violations from 2008 and 2010. When i got a copy of my abstract from the DMV it only showed the the 2010 violation. I'm guessing the earlier one is gone from the record, Should i still list the 2008 ticket in the booklet or leave it out?

Thanks

I definetly agree with that, school car gives you all you need to pass that signal exam and become a successful train operator.  To all coming in new just study the material given to you and pay attention to your instructors and you will do fine as long as you put in your best effort.

Excellent post...

Hi All, I have a question on the 21 page book. In the section for the traffic offenses i had 2 moving violations from 2008 and 2010. When i got a copy of my abstract from the DMV it only showed the the 2010 violation. I'm guessing the earlier one is gone from the record, Should i still list the 2008 ticket in the booklet or leave it out?

Thanks

You must list any traffic offenses you ever recieved in your life. It clearly asks for you to list every single one you've had. Leave anything out and they find out and your gone. The 21 page background booklet will come with a 21 page book with instructions for each question.

According to the folks at 180 , there is no need to provide ANY info on our driving license, the position of train operator is a "non - driving position", this is what I was told by 180 when I questioned the section on driving record,apparently the 21 page app is a general ap that is ALSO givin to bus operator and other driving positions within transit

I went in for final medical procesing on thursday 25th, the lady asked me if I was ready to start on may 20th and I said yes, then she went outside and came back again, and said "theirs a spot for monday april 29th, do you want it", I said no, it was just to close I thought at that moment. What do you guys think? Should I've said yes, am I missing a lot of seniority by not taking it. Thanks

Edited by Andy07

I went in for final medical procesing on thursday 25th, the lady asked me if I was ready to start on may 20th and I said yes, then she went outside and came back again, and said "theirs a spot for monday april 29th, do you want it", I said no, it was just to close I thought at that moment. What do you guys think? Should I've said yes, am I missing a lot of seniority by not taking it. Thanks

I would have took the offer, but that's just me. I find it crazy that they are having a hard time filling up this class that starts on Monday. Took them all the way til this Friday right before it starts and they were still offering spots?

aw man....people do not use anything you find online, especially regarding signals, as a study guide. Yeah some of it might have the correct definition, but why use something unofficial what the TA gives you official and efficient study guides. You will have plenty of time to learn the signals, as long as you put in the effort needed. As said earlier, pay attention, ask questions and put your best effort forward and you will be fine

I think you're ok. There really is no telling how much seniority you would've had. Me personally I would've probably done the same only to give my previous job the proper notice. Only thing you might have to worry about is if something were to come up and they would have to postpone the class, but that isn't gonna happen

Signal Test:

READ THE RULE BOOK!

If you get a question wrong on the signal exam and it's multiple choice, you are done.

If you get a question wrong on the signal exam and it's a write in, you will have one chance to explain yourself - and then you'll need to quickly pull out and display something that you either received in schoolcar ("signal study guide") or your rule book - and point out EXACTLY how the answer you wrote is the same as the one that's in the book.

That means you cannot reference any of the following:

-Web sites

-Your own notes

-Someone else's notes

-The "signal study" flashcards that go around

-anything else "unofficial"

The signal test is not designed to be hard, but that doesn't mean you can be anything other than on point.

And even though it's not completely necessary to learn signal definitions exactly word for word as it is for other agencies (although the definition itself must be exactly the same of course), try and do it - it's better off in the long run anyway, and you'll retain it better.

I think you're ok. There really is no telling how much seniority you would've had. Me personally I would've probably done the same only to give my previous job the proper notice. Only thing you might have to worry about is if something were to come up and they would have to postpone the class, but that isn't gonna happen

I completely agree. The affect on seniority would be nil in this situation. But more importantly being the last one called for the 4/29 class would leave him with no flexibility as to which division he could select. At least with the 5/20 class if this call puts him in the top 30, he can pick the B division if he so chooses.

Signal Test:

READ THE RULE BOOK!

If you get a question wrong on the signal exam and it's multiple choice, you are done.

If you get a question wrong on the signal exam and it's a write in, you will have one chance to explain yourself - and then you'll need to quickly pull out and display something that you either received in schoolcar ("signal study guide") or your rule book - and point out EXACTLY how the answer you wrote is the same as the one that's in the book.

That means you cannot reference any of the following:

-Web sites

-Your own notes

-Someone else's notes

-The "signal study" flashcards that go around

-anything else "unofficial"

The signal test is not designed to be hard, but that doesn't mean you can be anything other than on point.

And even though it's not completely necessary to learn signal definitions exactly word for word as it is for other agencies (although the definition itself must be exactly the same of course), try and do it - it's better off in the long run anyway, and you'll retain it better.

What I did was learn every defintion word for word excatly as stated in the signal guide schoolcar provided but for those of you starting school car what SubwayGuy is absolutly correct.

Thanks

HI ChrisKocur - mind sharing your list# range ex. 85x or 86x - thanks & good luck!

bc0v9g9 - 92x; dt 4/18

Just came from Pre-employment screening & Drug test today. Original date was 4/18 but I didn't receive letter until 4/19. List # 945. Filling out 21-page booklet and awaiting callback .... 

welcome to the board. thanks for sharing/updating the thread...

bc: 92x; dt 4/18