Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I went in for final medical procesing on thursday 25th, the lady asked me if I was ready to start on may 20th and I said yes, then she went outside and came back again, and said "theirs a spot for monday april 29th, do you want it", I said no, it was just to close I thought at that moment. What do you guys think? Should I've said yes, am I missing a lot of seniority by not taking it. Thanks

having worked in 2 different union environments, and in your particular situation, i think it would had a little effect on your seniority. as stated already, the May class should continue as tentatively scheduled by the MTA. Congrats on making the May class - mind sharing your list range - thx...

I went in for medical and final processing on 4/23. I passed everything and was surprised when the interviewer asked if i can start on Monday 4/29. I turned it down for now because I am aware I have a shaky background.I told them that I would prefer for my background check to be completed before I accept the job because I would hate to resign from my job now (which is a good job) without giving adequate notice and burning that bridge to accept the position without knowing if the MTA will accept my background as is. She said i was risking for the list to expire before the background check is complete. I think I would be taking a bigger risk if I take the job now and Good forbid get fired because of my background and quitting my last job and having a burnt bridge with them and staying unemployed. Does these background checks really take that long? Has anyone ever requested their background check completed before appointment?

I spoke with my wife about this and she thinks you did the right thing as per the situation you described. i hope it all works out for you when the time is right.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree. The affect on seniority would be nil in this situation. But more importantly being the last one called for the 4/29 class would leave him with no flexibility as to which division he could select. At least with the 5/20 class if this call puts him in the top 30, he can pick the B division if he so chooses.

So only a few people get to choose a division ?

So only a few people get to choose a division ?

If your induction class at orientation consists of 60 people called for T/O then the first 30 are a lock to be able to choose. Most people called live in the outer boroughs and the B division ends up being the most selected division out of convenience to them. With a class size like this maybe more than a handful of people out of the first 30 called will select the A division meaning the first 40 will likely get to choose exactly what they want. After that once all of the B division slots are gone the last 20 will go to the A automatically. Mind you my numbers are based on estimates that mirror the cities population. NJ people and Manhattan residents tend to choose the A division. But once again it can turn out to be one of those extremely rare inductions where almost half of those in attendance prefer the A but that's not likely.

Thanks for all the info provided guys. It was very helpful.

And to anyone who is scheduled to go down to Livingston for DT, like a few already stated, get there as early as possible. I got there at like 6:30am(before they even opened) and waited in the lobby. The women who opens up the office comes in at 6:50ish but trust me it's worth the wait. You can just go up with her and you will be among the first 5 or so to get a ticket; ie you will be among the first 5 to LEAVE. For your group that is. There are others at the hr office for various things but among the pre-hire DT folks you'll be the first out of there. I think i was ghost by 10:30am. Same applies for final processing. They say expect to be there all day, which you should because you never know what could happen, but if you get there early you can be out by noon.

list# 73X

DT- 4/10

Final Processing- 4/22

Class- 4/29

Can anyone tell me what the medical consist of. Will taking blood pressure meds exclude you from the position ?

Thanks

having worked in 2 different union environments, and in your particular situation, i think it would had a little effect on your seniority. as stated already, the May class should continue as tentatively scheduled by the MTA. Congrats on making the May class - mind sharing your list range - thx...

I spoke with my wife about this and she thinks you did the right thing as per the situation you described. i hope it all works out for you when the time is right.

Went to the courts and verified my dippositions! I am good to go. I start on 5/20!

List #800-820 dt 4/12 final processing 4/29

Schoolcar 5/20!!! Thanks to everyone who provided info on this forum , came in really handy and I prepared accordingly.Everyone down at 180 was extremely helpful as well.. Looking forward to the 20th!✌

Hi All, I have a question on the 21 page book. In the section for the traffic offenses i had 2 moving violations from 2008 and 2010. When i got a copy of my abstract from the DMV it only showed the the 2010 violation. I'm guessing the earlier one is gone from the record, Should i still list the 2008 ticket in the booklet or leave it out?

Thanks

Disclose them as they ask you to, but it means nothing because you do not need a license to operate a train.

Hey is the DCAS automated phone line working?

because when input my my social security number it hangs up. This has also happened yesterday.

Don't worry about it, it's happening to everyone. That's what the lady just told me on the phone. 1-212-669-1357 then press 0 to talk to a human. I waited 25 mins!!!

Don't worry about it, it's happening to everyone. That's what the lady just told me on the phone. 1-212-669-1357 then press 0 to talk to a human. I waited 25 mins!!!

Cool thanks for the information. Was starting to think something was up.

Hey guys .Does anyone know if OT iis available the first year. I do very well with Ot in my current job and need to see if I'm gonna take a beating.  I'm 51 this will probably my last decision about employment.The letter did more to turn my world upside down than anything. Not bitchn but wow. Congrats to all who were called .My list # 92x

If your induction class at orientation consists of 60 people called for T/O then the first 30 are a lock to be able to choose. Most people called live in the outer boroughs and the B division ends up being the most selected division out of convenience to them. With a class size like this maybe more than a handful of people out of the first 30 called will select the A division meaning the first 40 will likely get to choose exactly what they want. After that once all of the B division slots are gone the last 20 will go to the A automatically. Mind you my numbers are based on estimates that mirror the cities population. NJ people and Manhattan residents tend to choose the A division. But once again it can turn out to be one of those extremely rare inductions where almost half of those in attendance prefer the A but that's not likely.

RTO hit it right in the head, literally.  Exactly 37 people of the 50 got to choose their division.  30 of those chose B Div.  I was 39th to choose but I wanted A anyhow since I'm uptown.

Great news for those still waiting.  LIke someone mentioned before I think they are doing 60 more for the May 20th class.  A training director mentioned they are EXTREMELY short of TO's.  Seems like they will keep calling monthly at least till the end of the year.  TSS Lovell gave us our final instructions, funny guy.  So just hang in there, it's coming for you guys.

Hey guys .Does anyone know if OT iis available the first year. I do very well with Ot in my current job and need to see if I'm gonna take a beating.  I'm 51 this will probably my last decision about employment.The letter did more to turn my world upside down than anything. Not bitchn but wow. Congrats to all who were called .My list # 92x

Word to the Wise DO NOT get on the Overtime list while you are a Probie TO... You are just learning the Job as it is...

Word to the Wise DO NOT get on the Overtime list while you are a Probie TO... You are just learning the Job as it is...

This is exactly what the TSS's (our teachers) told us.  You are 100% more likely to screw up on your day off than any other day.  You make mistakes and you're likely gone as a probie.  Learn your job, get your rest until probation is over, their words not mine.

Edited by Boedy

This is exactly what the TSS's (our teachers) told us.  You are 100% more likely to screw up on your day off than any other day.  You make mistakes and you're likely gone as a probie.  Learn your job, get your rest until probation is over, their words not mine.

You're always on probation. Hit a home signal on your regular day of work and see how much difference it makes. Working your RDO yeah it's an extra day of work but if you're on point and paying attention you should be fine.

WTF..... A friend of mine just got 1 and 3 ruled, considered but not selected letter.

That's jacked.

This person has a clean record, good health, solid work history, combat military veteran, and a college degree.

Makes me wonder if this is just really arbitrary with no criteria to not hire some one.

Hey guys after a stressed out 2 weeks and alot of thought I am going to decline the position. I'm # 1 out of 25 drivers in a union shop. This was a way for a complete change and alot less stress on my body physically although certainly not mentally. You guys have great responsibility and I commend you and wish you the best of luck. This is a fantastic forum and aided in my decision. It was fun while it lasted.

Mike The Oil Man

List 933