Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

WTF..... A friend of mine just got 1 and 3 ruled, considered but not selected letter.

That's jacked.

This person has a clean record, good health, solid work history, combat military veteran, and a college degree.

Makes me wonder if this is just really arbitrary with no criteria to not hire some one.

He better make sure and go to 180 Livingston street and find out why this is. There hiring a ton of people I don't see why they played your friend like that.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He better make sure and go to 180 Livingston street and find out why this is. There hiring a ton of people I don't see why they played your friend like that.

Here is an unknown story.

DCAS initially screwed all the veteran preference people who did not have written score of 87.5. By leaving them off the rating list to be certified, resulting is veterans being passed over. But with veteran preference they made the cut. The cut off for certification was 87.5. He fought and got that situation corrected. They might be circling the wagons. He should have been called months ago with his score with veteran preference. Maybe to cover someone but for not rating and certifying him they can say he was considered and not selected to avoid any issues with not calling them when they should have. Maybe it opens cans of worms about lost seniority and potential pay. They have since corrected the not rated for the veterans.

I'm not sure what you think is Bull?

(1) Are you saying that my friend getting 1 and 3 ruled is bull?

(2) Are you saying that it is bull that DCAS did not rate the exams with veterans preference points below 88.25.

I assure you if you think the latter you will find yourself eating your words. A complaint was made and it was corrected.

Mr. Alexander at DCAS can verify it if you care to do your due diligence.

Just my 2 cents.

Can anyone tell me what the medical consist of. Will taking blood pressure meds exclude you from the position ?

Thanks[/quote Blood pressure meds will not prevent you from getting the job. Make sure that you're medication keeps your blood pressure in the normal range. You're pressure will also be checked every six months without fail, for the rest of your career. Not the end of the world. I go through it every year, make sure that you stay on top of it.

Hello, just received my letter (list number 1,000 range) 

Salary is only 20.96 dollars an hour on the letter? I thought it was supposed to be $30 an hour.

Is this perhaps a typo?

Im in the same boat E! List num in the 1000, says report in on Mon with sal at ~20/hr. Has to be a typo since ever1 in school car now is running with 30/hr.

(2) Are you saying that it is bull that DCAS did not rate the exams with veterans preference points below 88.25. The 1 and 3 rule was done years ago from what I heard. But you are right about them not rating below a score of 88.25.

I assure you if you think the latter you will find yourself eating your words. A complaint was made and it was corrected.

Just my 2 cents.

(2) Are you saying that it is bull that DCAS did not rate the exams with veterans preference points below 88.25. The 1 and 3 rule was done years ago from what I heard. But you are right about them not rating below a score of 88.25.

Just my 2 cents.

The 1 and 3 rule was done years ago from what I heard. But you are right about them not rating a score below 88.25.

Does anyone has the # to 180 livingston street H.R. ?

1-347-643-8229

Salary is only 20.96 dollars an hour on the letter? I thought it was supposed to be $30 an hour.

Is this perhaps a typo?

I asked in previous posts about the starting salary and I was told $30 an hour as well. I guess some people don't know what their talking about sometimes or they misunderstand you. I guess $20.96 is the "STARTING SALARY" in school car. But for how long? Btw, what range are you in the 1000's???

The 1 and 3 rule was done years ago from what I heard. But you are right about them not rating a score below 88.25.

Whether its 1 and 3 or considered in not selected. I'm not sure.

Anyway they DCAS initially did not include the veterans preference points in their ratings for certification for written scores below 88.25 even though with the preference nice they surpassed that threshold. ie...veterans adding 5 or 10 points to their written score. This was only corrected a few weeks ago. A major screw probably resulting in delayed appointments.

Just my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents.The 1 and 3 rule was done years ago from what I heard. But you are right about them not rating a score below 88.25.

Does anyone has the # to 180 livingston street H.R. ?1-347-643-8229

Is this perhaps a typo?I asked in previous posts about the starting salary and I was told $30 an hour as well. I guess some people don't know what their talking about sometimes or they misunderstand you. I guess $20.96 is the "STARTING SALARY" in school car. But for how long? Btw, what range are you in the 1000's???

the "STARTING SALARY" in school car is 30.075 unless something changed in the last month that no one heard about. My guess is its a typo and it will be resolved on your first day.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

You're always on probation. Hit a home signal on your regular day of work and see how much difference it makes. Working your RDO yeah it's an extra day of work but if you're on point and paying attention you should be fine.

Until you learn the railroad it's wise not to.

"Law of averages" - the more you work, the more likely there's an incident.

Also a lot of handling an incident is knowing what to say. There's a lot of times people have done something minor wrong and it's turned into something major once they made a mistake in their official statement, leading to more serious charges.

Learn the railroad first before working an RDO. Secondly, while there are punishments and labor relations can be strict etc., when you are on probation, you are not going to be dealing directly with labor relations most times - you'll be dealing with schoolcar.

A first incident will usually include retraining and may even get your probation extended. A second incident while on probation could be termination, it's up to schoolcar based on your file. A third incident is big problems. You don't want to lengthen probation, you don't want to increase the risk of an incident.

RDO's = more hours, sometimes a tour change = you are tired, may be prone to mistakes. Plus of course law of averages.

The wisest piece of advice for ANY new employee is this - LEARN TO LIVE WITHIN THE 40 HOURS. You will see a lot of people here who don't even see their checks because it all goes to child support and alimony, and they work their asses off 6 day weeks, penalty jobs, and even extra switching when available just to pay someone else's bills. And others who live above their means always keeping up with the Jones's, lots of debt, definitely something you don't want to be doing when you're new and if you get in trouble could be back out on the street with those same bills not going away. Also, if you're new, you've got plenty of time to make the big run to boost your pension, you don't have to do it right away. Live within your means and you'll do fine, and you can work overtime when you feel 100% comfortable on all of the lines.

Learn the job, learn the railroad, then if you want to work RDO's when you've got the knowledge to feel 100% comfortable, go for it.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Until you learn the railroad it's wise not to.

"Law of averages" - the more you work, the more likely there's an incident.

Also a lot of handling an incident is knowing what to say. There's a lot of times people have done something minor wrong and it's turned into something major once they made a mistake in their official statement, leading to more serious charges.

Learn the railroad first before working an RDO. Secondly, while there are punishments and labor relations can be strict etc., when you are on probation, you are not going to be dealing directly with labor relations most times - you'll be dealing with schoolcar.

A first incident will usually include retraining and may even get your probation extended. A second incident while on probation could be termination, it's up to schoolcar based on your file. A third incident is big problems. You don't want to lengthen probation, you don't want to increase the risk of an incident.

RDO's = more hours, sometimes a tour change = you are tired, may be prone to mistakes. Plus of course law of averages.

The wisest piece of advice for ANY new employee is this - LEARN TO LIVE WITHIN THE 40 HOURS. You will see a lot of people here who don't even see their checks because it all goes to child support and alimony, and they work their asses off 6 day weeks, penalty jobs, and even extra switching when available just to pay someone else's bills. And others who live above their means always keeping up with the Jones's, lots of debt, definitely something you don't want to be doing when you're new and if you get in trouble could be back out on the street with those same bills not going away. Also, if you're new, you've got plenty of time to make the big run to boost your pension, you don't have to do it right away. Live within your means and you'll do fine, and you can work overtime when you feel 100% comfortable on all of the lines.

Learn the job, learn the railroad, then if you want to work RDO's when you've got the knowledge to feel 100% comfortable, go for it.

What does RDO AND TOS stand for??

Whether its 1 and 3 or considered in not selected. I'm not sure.

Anyway they DCAS initially did not include the veterans preference points in their ratings for certification for written scores below 88.25 even though with the preference nice they surpassed that threshold. ie...veterans adding 5 or 10 points to their written score. This was only corrected a few weeks ago. A major screw probably resulting in delayed appointments.

To you new forum members, the starting salary IS $30 an hour. It's been stated as fact many times in this forum and from guys who were hired. Why would you still be questioning that. It either a typo or you misread your letter and its probably for a different position. And to the gentleman complaining about the score issue, yes it is messed up but when you say that he probably would have been appointed by now is highly unlikely. With a score of 92 you will still be waiting to get called. Take a look at the list and see how many people scored 100-95 and take a look at their list numbers. Edited by Success7

Is this perhaps a typo?

Are you sure you are on this list??? 8098 for train OPERATOR and not CONDUCTOR???

T/O starting salary ( beginning 1st day of employment ) is in the $30 range  ( $30.0375 to be exact - see also "SCHOOL CAR EXPERIENCE" thread page 5 for this info ) ...however, T/C hourly rate is in the $20's range

Also...seems wired to have reached a list # in the 1220 range so fast...since only last week 1000 was not reached yet...maybe that's why

poughkipsee

did not get his/her letter yet !!!!!!

Just saying....

Any one else with list # over 1000 got letters....???

Are you sure you are on this list??? 8098 for train OPERATOR and not CONDUCTOR???

T/O starting salary ( beginning 1st day of employment ) is in the $30 range ( $30.0375 to be exact - see also "SCHOOL CAR EXPERIENCE" thread page 5 for this info ) ...however, T/C hourly rate is in the $20's range

Also...seems wired to have reached a list # in the 1220 range so fast...since only last week 1000 was not reached yet...maybe that's why poughkipsee

did not get his/her letter yet !!!!!!

Just saying....

Any one else with list # over 1000 got letters....???

I was thinking the same thing. How'd it jump from 800s to over 1200 so fast. Conductor should be around this range as I drug tested back in Feb C/R range 98x, with starting salary less than $30

Trust me I wasn't expecting it but I'll definitely go in. And I didn't take the conductors exam only the TO exam. My letter also starts 20 and change an hour position says train operator (yard). Does that make a difference? I figured it gets me in the door.

List#122X

Edited by CalvinSC

Trust me I wasn't expecting it but I'll definitely go in. And I didn't take the conductors exam only the TO exam. My letter also starts 20 and change an hour position says train operator (yard). Does that make a difference? I figured it gets me in the door.

List#122X

That's weird. keep us updated.