Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

The 1 in 3 rule explained:

-Of the next 3 names on an eligible list, transit must OFFER employment to at least one of those 3.

In other words:

-Transit gives you a drug test and you fail. You were offered employment.

-Transit gives you a medical, you fail, and do not resolve the medical hold. You were offered employment.

-Transit offers you the job, you decline it. You were offered employment.

Transit finds 3 employees in consecutive list order with undesirable attributes in their file. Transit must still offer employment to at least one of them.

If Transit is going to use the 1 in 3 on someone, it must be for a reason - something they found in the person's file or when background checking them, or if the person previously worked for Transit, something in their work history at Transit.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum but I am replying to a previous post regarding status and list position.   I am in the list range of 104x and have not gotten any letter in the mail as of yet for d/t or otherwise.  So to those in that range or later, there is nothing as of yet (But I hope soon for all of us).

Thanks for keeping us informed as reading these posts are very helpful.

Ok, I just got a letter to go in for my drug test for Train operator. It does say 20.9600 per hour and it does say Train op/yard. So I have to find out what that's about. Thank you.

Unless MTA has changed the salary in the past month for T/O Yard, we start at $30.075/Hr. You need to call & verify.

I am list # 75* and I took the drug test on April 11. I did not get a phone call yet. Does Anyone have the phone # HR so I can get some info? Please.

DCAS 1-212-669-1357 then press 0. MTA Employment Center 1-347-643-8229

Sample Timeline:

• dt/pre-employment letter dated: 4/11/13
  • dt/pre-employment letter received via usps: 4/15/13
  • dt/pre-employment appointment date: 4/18/13; start- 7:30 am; finished -11:30am
  • fone call for medical/final processing: 4/29/13
  • medical/final processing date: 5/03/13; start- 7:30am; finished -4:30pm
  • accepted into May 20 class; bc0v9g9 -list# 92x

Recommendations:

• perform your due diligence before asking questions: research the threads
  • let your conscience guide you when answering/providing any information to mta-hr
  • its best to be over prepared than under-prepared

Thanks for all those who shared freely and willingly ... i hope this timeline & recommendations help others plan accordingly - Good Luck

List# 76X. Took drug test on April 12...took medical on May 2....I start school-car on May 20 at $30/hr rate (Unless they plan on changing the pay rate?)

Any new information I get - I will post it.

Goodluck to all.

Sample Timeline:

• dt/pre-employment appointment date: 4/18/13; start- 7:30 am; finished -11:30am
Recommendations:

• let your conscience guide you when answering/providing any information to mta-hr
Thanks for all those who shared freely and willingly ... i hope this timeline & recommendations help others plan accordingly - Good Luck

Congrats bc!!! See you on the road...

Sample Timeline:

Recommendations:

Congrats man and good luck, see you out there.

Ok, I just got a letter to go in for my drug test for Train operator. It does say 20.9600 per hour and it does say Train op/yard. So I have to find out what that's about. Thank you.

What the mofo hell? I haven't gotten anything and my number is lower then a few people that posted. My frustrations between this and the conductors list are really adding up. Couple all this with being stuck in the bowels of 168st station/dungeon all weekend, argh!!

To you new forum members, the starting salary IS $30 an hour. It's been stated as fact many times in this forum and from guys who were hired. Why would you still be questioning that. It either a typo or you misread your letter and its probably for a different position. And to the gentleman complaining about the score issue, yes it is messed up but when you say that he probably would have been appointed by now is highly unlikely. With a score of 92 you will still be waiting to get called. Take a look at the list and see how many people scored 100-95 and take a look at their list numbers.

No it is 10 points disabled veteran. Score 97 not veterans 5 points.

I hope that is a typo! That is a big difference in wage! I got my letter and read it several times over. Is it possible the salary was cut that much for list numbers over 1000 maybe?

List # 1100's

The city/state only gives 5 points and/or Veterans preference if an LEO position. 10 is absurd. That's what the college/military requirements are for for the above stated as well.

OK 10 points I can understand. For all of you guys being passed over, you MUST be persistent. Contact them because paperwork does get shuffled. Here's my example. I went I for my dt/pre employment. Was told I will be contacted soon and went home confident and filled out my 21 page booklet. Waited a couple weeks and watched this forum and saw people getting called in for final processing that were lower on the list than me. I gave the the benefit of the doubt and waited another week and still no call. So I made some phone calls and finally personally spoke to the lady that was scheduling people for final processing. She defended her team and said I was "contacted" by phone and missed my date when I absolutely was not contacted. She then cut me off mid sentence and said just come in on so and so date and BAM I was hired. They make mistakes, you gotta be on top of them. Call them and ask questions. Be persistent. (347) 643-8229

Sample Timeline:

• medical/final processing date: 5/03/13; start- 7:30am; finished -4:30pm
Recommendations:

See you on the 20th! Congrats!

OK 10 points I can understand. For all of you guys being passed over, you MUST be persistent. Contact them because paperwork does get shuffled. Here's my example. I went I for my dt/pre employment. Was told I will be contacted soon and went home confident and filled out my 21 page booklet. Waited a couple weeks and watched this forum and saw people getting called in for final processing that were lower on the list than me. I gave the the benefit of the doubt and waited another week and still no call. So I made some phone calls and finally personally spoke to the lady that was scheduling people for final processing. She defended her team and said I was "contacted" by phone and missed my date when I absolutely was not contacted. She then cut me off mid sentence and said just come in on so and so date and BAM I was hired. They make mistakes, you gotta be on top of them. Call them and ask questions. Be persistent. (347) 643-8229

You are so RIGHT. Down there they are calling so many candidates at a time. That the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at times. Big up on staying on top of it, or they would have passed you right by!!!

The city/state only gives 5 points and/or Veterans preference if an LEO position. 10 is absurd. That's what the college/military requirements are for for the above stated as well.

This is for all civil service examinations

Civil Service Credit Preference

Ten-point additional credit preference toward original appointment for disabled wartime veterans; five-points for wartime service; and two and a half points for competitive promotional exams. Job retention rights applicable to veterans and spouses of totally disabled veterans.

Visit the New York Division of Veterans Services website for contact information and benefits assistance.

The keyword you used here is disabled. Now you do know that anyone with a disability is very likely to get passed over which is why the authority wouldn't issue 10 points to anyone for the title of T/O right?

Why? Safety Sensitive Title. The MAC center would instantly place such person on medical hold during the medical and final processing portion of the interview.

The keyword you used here is disabled. Now you do know that anyone with a disability is very likely to get passed over which is why the authority wouldn't issue 10 points to anyone for the title of T/O right?

First of all DCAS issues the veteran preference points as per

Why? Safety Sensitive Title. The MAC center would instantly place such person on medical hold during the medical and final processing portion of the

First of all, Transit Authority does not issue preference points.  Points are added at DCAS as per NY State Department of Civil Service and the State Constitution. (CSL § 85.2)

Also, the disability could have been minore ie... you injured your knee, finger, toe, something simple and not job related. 

However this person never even got a physical.  He just filled out the 21 page forms and then recieved the dreaded considered but not selected letter.  Again background, education, employment, and health all great.  His list # was first passed over by DCAS because they only rated written exams above 88.75 and did not include the final average scores of veteran preference points to be sent to Transit for appointments.  DCAS has since corrected this after complaints were made. 

In conclusion I am only informing the forum of this in order to share information and so people can be on guard if this becomes an issue with veterans.  Granted this person might have something that I am unaware of which influence Transits decision.  I have just presented the facts as I understand them and in the hopes of recieving clarification and understanding.  I have nothing to gain. 

CSL § 85.2

The State Constitution requires that examinations for appointment or promotion in State service be competitive, so far as practicable. At the same time, it contains a significant exception to the strict rule of competition by giving additional credits in competitive examinations to war veterans. Disabled veterans receive 10 points additional credit on their examination scores in open-competitive examinations and five points in promotion examinations. Non-disabled veterans are granted five points in open-competitive examinations and two and one-half points in promotion examinations. In every case, however, the veteran must attain a passing mark on an examination before additional credits may be added to his/her score. The additional credits may not be applied to raise a failing grade to a passing one.

There Different Levels of Disability?

Yes for Disability Compensation. For Disability Compensation, the range is from 0% to 100%. A veteran with a 0% rating may have a service connected condition, but it doesn’t interfere with normal life functions. A veteran with a 100% rating will have one or more disabilities that significantly interfere with normal life functions. There is a full range between the two, with the majority of Vermont’s disabled veterans rated at 10%, 20%, or 30%.

First of all, Transit Authority does not issue preference points. Points are added at DCAS as per NY State Department of Civil Service and the State Constitution. (CSL § 85.2)

Also, the disability could have been minore ie... you injured your knee, finger, toe, something simple and not job related. However this person never even got a physical. He just filled out the 21 page forms and then recieved the dreaded considered but not selected letter. Again background, education, employment, and health all great. His list # was first passed over by DCAS because they only rated written exams above 88.75 and did not include the final average scores of veteran preference points to be sent to Transit for appointments. DCAS has since corrected this after complaints were made.

In conclusion I am only informing the forum of this in order to share information and so people can be on guard if this becomes an issue with veterans. Granted this person might have something that I am unaware of which influence Transits decision. I have just presented the facts as I understand them and in the hopes of recieving clarification and understanding. I have nothing to gain.

CSL § 85.2

The State Constitution requires that examinations for appointment or promotion in State service be competitive, so far as practicable. At the same time, it contains a significant exception to the strict rule of competition by giving additional credits in competitive examinations to war veterans. Disabled veterans receive 10 points additional credit on their examination scores in open-competitive examinations and five points in promotion examinations. Non-disabled veterans are granted five points in open-competitive examinations and two and one-half points in promotion examinations. In every case, however, the veteran must attain a passing mark on an examination before additional credits may be added to his/her score. The additional credits may not be applied to raise a failing grade to a passing one. There Different Levels of Disability?

Yes for Disability Compensation. For Disability Compensation, the range is from 0% to 100%. A veteran with a 0% rating may have a service connected condition, but it doesn’t interfere with normal life functions. A veteran with a 100% rating will have one or more disabilities that significantly interfere with normal life functions. There is a full range between the two, with the majority of Vermont’s disabled veterans rated at 10%, 20%, or 30%.

Hey I'm a veteran and I got in the first OC/promo class so there is no discrimination of vets going on. We had a few vets in both classes actually. But when you say he went through the whole process and handed in the 21 page packet then received the considered but not selected letter. That leads me to believe there was something they saw in his background or something that HR found unfavorable, that's all. The 1 in 3 rule usually takes effect as they get further into the list. They don't use it for the top scorers. So either out of the 3 people being considered at that time, one of the other 2 were more desirable than your friend or your friend just had something in his background he's not telling you or didn't disclose to HR as required. Edited by Success7