Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Hey I'm a veteran and I got in the first OC/promo class so there is no discrimination of vets going on. We had a few vets in both classes actually. But when you say he went through the whole process and handed in the 21 page packet then received the considered but not selected letter. That leads me to believe there was something they saw in his background or something that HR found unfavorable, that's all. The 1 in 3 rule usually takes effect as they get further into the list. They don't use it for the top scorers. So either out of the 3 people being considered at that time, one of the other 2 were more desirable than your friend or your friend just had something in his background he's not telling you or didn't disclose to HR as required.

Fair enough. I was just putting it out there just in case any shenanigans were going on to inform the forum so they could be aware.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just called about not receiving my letter when others on here got them. Apparently I was scheduled to come in TODAY for preemployment. So I'll have to go tomorrow morning after work, list #110x. So frustrating, plus it looks like I won't be going to C/R first.

hey guys, just got called down for my interview tomorrow. just curious as to when they start the backround checks on people.

I had concerns about the background myself. Just be honest on the application they mailed to you. Disclose everything! If you're not sure, get the information somehow. If they call you for final processing that's means that they are willing to work with what you have. I can't stress the DISCLOSE everything part enough.

hey guys, just got called down for my interview tomorrow. just curious as to when they start the backround checks on people.

I had concerns about the background myself. Just be honest on the application they mailed to you. Disclose everything! If you're not sure, get the information somehow. If they call you for final processing that's means that they are willing to work with what you have. I can't stress the DISCLOSE everything part enough.

i got hired in November, been out of school car for over a month. One of my class mates got a letter last week saying his background check was complete and he is qualified. That's just to give you an idea. Keep In mind you won't get a letter when its complete, they just wanted more info from him which is why he got a letter.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Called down for urine test or medical???????

interview and medical it said in the letter

I seam to owe a fine and community service from 12 years ago. I was hoping to finish it before the investigation since the record is seal and I don't have to disclose it.  but its too late now..im gonna tell them about it.

Edited by ant723

So I just called about not receiving my letter when others on here got them. Apparently I was scheduled to come in TODAY for preemployment. So I'll have to go tomorrow morning after work, list #110x. So frustrating, plus it looks like I won't be going to C/R first.

Good news P! I hope to see you in pinstripes soon...

thanks...but my day didn't go to well. I had lost everything when my house was destroyed from sandy. so I didn't have my SS or my high school diploma. they gave me a number to call when I get them but there not holding a spot in train school. SS card will be here in a week. but my high school is no longer around. anyone know where I can get my H.S diploma ?

thanks...but my day didn't go to well. I had lost everything when my house was destroyed from sandy. so I didn't have my SS or my high school diploma. they gave me a number to call when I get them but there not holding a spot in train school. SS card will be here in a week. but my high school is no longer around. anyone know where I can get my H.S diploma ?

If you went high school in NY im told that only ever issue the high school diploma once ever if its lost stolen or damaged thats it (happened to me)...your best bet is to contact the board of ed and see if they can issue your a letter stating you graduated from where you attended with board stamp as your notorized proof

Question for you guys. Is is better to work for NYCT as a train operator which I am going in for the medical and final processing in a couple of days or the NYPD? I am close to getting into the July 2013 academy class. Not sure which is the best choice.

Question for you guys. Is is better to work for NYCT as a train operator which I am going in for the medical and final processing in a couple of days or the NYPD? I am close to getting into the July 2013 academy class. Not sure which is the best choice.

In my opinion, the perks you get being a PO is great. Plus you get to carry protection legally at all times. As far as pay goes, you may make more in the long run as a PO but it all depends. They are both well paying jobs. You'll start off getting paid more as a Train operator than as a police officer but in the long run I believe Top pay for PO is higher than TO.. They both have promotion opportunities. Both retire at 25/55 under tier 6. Both can be layed off due to budget cuts at anytime. TO is safer of course and less stressful. NYPD is a paramilitary organization so if your not used to getting yelled at or taking crap from people ie: co workers/supervisors and not being able to do anything about I would think twice. If you were in the military then you know the deal already. It's all what you make of it. Remember this is most likely what you will be doing for the rest of your life so its up to you.

In my opinion, the perks you get being a PO is great. Plus you get to carry protection legally at all times. As far as pay goes, you may make more in the long run as a PO but it all depends. They are both well paying jobs. You'll start off getting paid more as a Train operator than as a police officer but in the long run I believe Top pay for PO is higher than TO.. They both have promotion opportunities. Both retire at 25/55 under tier 6. Both can be layed off due to budget cuts at anytime. TO is safer of course and less stressful. NYPD is a paramilitary organization so if your not used to getting yelled at or taking crap from people ie: co workers/supervisors and not being able to do anything about I would think twice. If you were in the military then you know the deal already. It's all what you make of it. Remember this is most likely what you will be doing for the rest of your life so its up to you.

VicEl: u have a great problem. without too much words (since Success7 already said it) join NYPD.1st take ur name off the the MTA list, i think you drop/reinstate ur list# up to 3xs w/ dcas, (mta exam 8098 should expire either 2016 or 2017). plus u got 2 year probation w/ NYPD, so if u like it stay, but if you don't realize it quick and reinstate your list # and try to transfer over ur time... my 2 cents...

Edited by bc0v9g9

I was on the job for EMS. 

T/O is better than PD.

What about your driving record like being arrested for driving with a suspended license? But it was only in nyc I had a legit license from another state. Happens years ago dont even remember the year. I was fresh out of HS almost 10yrs ago. Wait longer graduated in 2000.

Edited by CalvinSC

What about your driving record like being arrested for driving with a suspended license? But it was only in nyc I had a legit license from another state. Happens years ago dont even remember the year. I was fresh out of HS almost 10yrs ago. Wait longer graduated in 2000.

Tell them about it give estimates of the dates. It won't hold you back if you disclose it; it could get you fired if you don't disclose it.