Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Question for you guys. Is is better to work for NYCT as a train operator which I am going in for the medical and final processing in a couple of days or the NYPD? I am close to getting into the July 2013 academy class. Not sure which is the best choice.

$62,478 to start as a T/O as opposed to >$50k as a P/O. I am unsure of what is the top rate as a T/O or a P/O, but the starting difference is pretty significant. Same pension.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told them about that and they didn't care but I did have a violation that I had to run to Staten Island to get a copy of my disposition from my lawyer. They reviewed it (was nervous, cause I was the last one in that first large room) but they came back and said your good to go take your drug test. Now I have to fill out this 21 page booklet that everyone was talking about.

oh and no fingerprints yet

Edited by CalvinSC

I told them about that and they didn't care but I did have a violation that I had to run to Staten Island to get a copy of my disposition from my lawyer. They reviewed it (was nervous, cause I was the last one in that first large room) but they came back and said your good to go take your drug test. Now I have to fill out this 21 page booklet that everyone was talking about.

oh and no fingerprints yet

Ok as long as you let them know about it and they told you you're good then you're clear. Because when you go back for medical and final processing that's when they take your prints and you don't want to get to that point and have something minor like that pop up, and have them call you back and ask you why you didn't disclose it originally. But you're good so congrats on getting through the first step.

My friend has his SS Card, Drivers License and an MTA I.D, .but cannot find his Birth certificate / HS Diploma, but works for MTA Bridges and Tunnels. His stuff is already in the system.  How will that go? :wacko:

I had all of them except my HS diploma.When they called me yesterday for my medical they were pretty insistent on me bringing or I would be hung up until I brought it in.

If he hasn't gone down for his drug test he should go and get his Diploma ASAP or at least raised seal letter or affidavit from the Board of Education stating that he graduated. He can get his birth certificate same day from his borough hall. 

Yeah,, hes goes in the morning..

He should go, they'll drugtest him and give him his 21 page booklet and before he goes back for his medical and final processing he should go and get the rest of his documents.Tell him to get there super early, the sooner you get in the sooner you get in regards to the drug test. If he gets out early enough he can pop on down to Borough hall and get his Birth Certificate. They have my HS diploma on file from my bus operator application it didn't matter they still want it when I go down on the 14th.

well my school is no longer around and I got a G.E.D so I have to wait a week or so for Albany to send it to me. same for my social. funny thing is a got another letter telling me to go back on tues. but I wont have the documents by then. still gotta go.

while im here i figured i'd ask

I had all of them except my HS diploma.When they called me yesterday for my medical they were pretty insistent on me bringing or I would be hung up until I brought it in.

If he hasn't gone down for his drug test he should go and get his Diploma ASAP or at least raised seal letter or affidavit from the Board of Education stating that he graduated. He can get his birth certificate same day from his borough hall. 

do they care for documents like birth certificate  do they want an original and with the diploma do they want you to bring the book that you received it in?

$62,478 to start as a T/O as opposed to >$50k as a P/O. I am unsure of what is the top rate as a T/O or a P/O, but the starting difference is pretty significant. Same pension.

Just to expand on this point for all. Yoshi809 gave the starting annual salary for T/O. That's at the $30.0375 rate which is the entering yard rate. Then after clearing school car entirely that rate goes up to $30.6225. So already it's impossible to make $62,478 based on that increase alone however here's what's not factored in. Night Differential for the entering yard is $1.4090 and for the top yard rate $1.4365. If you grab yourself a PM class you will see a lot of night diff. Then you have the road rate. Which after 231 working days on the road you get this increase. For those of you in school car before the March class you should see this increase by your 1 year induction date more or less depending on your scheduling. For those of your in the March and later classes. I'll pray for you.

Road rate: $31.2325

Top road rate: $31.8725

Either way the point to all of this is that it's literally impossible to make $62,478. The first year alone being extra extra you might find it hard to make anything less than $68k without trying to break a sweat and as long as you avoid visits to 2 Broadway. 2 Broadway and 30 days on the street will effect the annual numbers. Suspensions come without pay.

In the 21 page book how far back with school. High school or back to elementary?

The booklet should tell you. Usually it's looking for the last 10 years of information IIRC. If that includes elementary then go for it.

Just to expand on this point for all. Yoshi809 gave the starting annual salary for T/O. That's at the $30.0375 rate which is the entering yard rate. Then after clearing school car entirely that rate goes up to $30.6225. So already it's impossible to make $62,478 based on that increase alone however here's what's not factored in. Night Differential for the entering yard is $1.4090 and for the top yard rate $1.4365. If you grab yourself a PM class you will see a lot of night diff. Then you have the road rate. Which after 231 working days on the road you get this increase. For those of you in school car before the March class you should see this increase by your 1 year induction date more or less depending on your scheduling. For those of your in the March and later classes. I'll pray for you.

Road rate: $31.2325

Top road rate: $31.8725

Either way the point to all of this is that it's literally impossible to make $62,478. The first year alone being extra extra you might find it hard to make anything less than $68k without trying to break a sweat and as long as you avoid visits to 2 Broadway. 2 Broadway and 30 days on the street will effect the annual numbers. Suspensions come without pay.

The booklet should tell you. Usually it's looking for the last 10 years of information IIRC. If that includes elementary then go for it.

Thanks for the clarification!

I went for my 2nd medical on 5/10; I was placed on medical hold for an abnormal EKG. Wow. Not scared, just glad they noticed something that might otherwise have gone undetected. I have to see my doctor to undergo further cardiac testing, routine for such situations. I'm not worried that I will not be hired (everything else was perfect) but most what is most important is that I find out what is going on with my ticker, lol. What is meant to be will be , yes? Until then .......

Anyone hear receive a duplicate pre-employment letter in the mail recently? I just went last week and know I got the same exact letter as the first time in the mail to report next week.

Go in again. Won't hurt if it was a mistake but you don't wanna miss out on anything.

What I meant to say was, is the Conductor & Trackworker position like the Train Operator??? Where they are assigned one division or they can work both??

Track workers and CRs can work where they are needed ,you are assigned that when you leave training.

As stated NUMEROUS times in the forum, starting Salary for a T/O in Schoolcar is $30.0375/hr. The MTA can't go and change it due to the Union Contract. 

I am confused about that part. According to the papers when applying for the test starting rate was $26.99 for TO for test 8098

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf

and $17.49 for C/O with max salary of $24.99

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf

so those are the salaries I am going by at the moment unless they tell me otherwise when hiring. It would be much better if it were higher by that time they get to my list numbers

I am confused about that part. According to the papers when applying for the test starting rate was $26.99 for TO for test 8098

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf

and $17.49 for C/O with max salary of $24.99

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808094000.pdf

so those are the salaries I am going by at the moment unless they tell me otherwise when hiring. It would be much better if it were higher by that time they get to my list numbers

What you may not be informed on is there has been a new contract since you applied for the filling of that test. The numbers you're going by are completely outdated. The numbers being provided to you here are verified to be correct by actual employees receiving said pay.

Therefore you can either believe a document created by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (Which no longer run the exams for hiring of job openings for the MTA anymore) back in 2009 or you can take the word of actual union employees receiving said pay. Some who are as new as you would be in a matter of weeks who are the beneficiaries of said salary.