Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Got thru medical yest, in at 7:10am out by 2pm, thanks 2 every1 on this site for keepn heads informed. please take your ekg else where while ur not nervous/hype to be there, could save you some time.

Got sworn in, start class Jun 24 looking forward to meeting everyone

Congrats!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was your list #?

What happened with the EKG?

list 105x

Nothing crazy on the ekg i was just nervous/anxious/hyper so my heart was pumpn a mile a min, took me a few mins to calm myself down didn't help that i had little sleep n pepsi in my system. Either way made it thru for those already in c u soon, for those yet to make it in good luck to you all patience is key we waited yrs a few more weeks isnt going to hurt.

Congrats!

thanks Yoshi, congrats to you too man n good luck mon. i was hoping to make the 5/20 class but guess i get to take a mini vaca for now lol

I was told today in school car that the next class, may 20th class, will have another 50-60 T/O's in it(mine has 50-60 as well). If you have a high list number i wouldn't worry too much because, like others have stated, they are flying through the list. Chances are you will get a shot.

What was your list #?

What happened with the EKG?

More than likely they told him it was slightly on the irregular side, but just like he said that comes from the nerves of being there. MAC doctors look for any excuse to put someone on medical hold. Any real physician without an agenda would know what nervousness looks like on an EKG. The MAC doctors don't even take into account that they have you laying down on an uncomfortable examination table feeling as awkward as can be.

Yes, nerves can affect your EKG results .... but do you want to guess wrong? Heart disease is very real. Closed arteries, very real. Wouldn't you rather have another opinion and/or get a cardiac stress test to know where you stand? Suppose you really have a problem? Don't play doctor and don't listen to anyone else but a doctor. That would be plain stupidity.

P.S. - I was placed on medical hold too, on 5/11 and I will see my doctor tomorrow. I was not the least bit nervous (nervous for what ???) and will be interested to see why the EKG deviated. I value my health & life over anything.

The MAC doctors are not there to guess. If they assumed the abnormal EKG results were from nerves and passed someone through and then, that individual proceeded to have a heart attack behind the controls of a passenger train, that would be a disaster. Any "real" physician? Not sure what that means but leave the medical diagnosis to the professionals.

7:30 they start business. You can get there early but they won't do anything until after 7:30

For Both the D/T and the Medical, I arrived at 6am.  I was the 2nd person there for the D/T and 1st for the Medical.  It is true, they start business at 7:30am but if you walk up with the receptionist at 6:40ish, you wil be one of the 1st people in and out.  To give you an estimate for the D/T, I was the 2nd person in and was done by 9:15am, a friend of mine arrived at 7:30am and left at 1pm on the same day.  For the Medical, I arrived at the 6am time and was the 1st number called.  What this meant was first to get paperwork checked, first to fill out surveys, first to get tested for vision, hearing and ekg, first to see the doctor and find out results, first to get copies scanned for all documents, first to meet with HR and first to get pictures / fingerprints taken. (Start on the 24th of June)  I was done with all of this and in my car by 11:15am.   With the medical there are tons of people waiting for a doctor for specific reasons and you wait in a room with pending hires AND current MTA employees.  So the later you go, the further back you are wating in this "pot".  I would rather get there earler than later as arriving an hour and half early cuts off 3-4 hours wait time at the end of day.  Just some advice to everyone that has not gone yet.  

Hope this helps and thanks for all the previous posts from all members.  It helped to make things easier for all of us later number members (104X). 

Try to get there around 0630. You'll get there before anybody, buy when the receptionist arrives she'll tell you that you can go upstairs with her. You'll get one of the first numbers if not the first and you should be out of there fairly quick.

the last one on the elevator is the first one out of the elevator and will get on the line first

Try to get there around 0630. You'll get there before anybody, buy when the receptionist arrives she'll tell you that you can go upstairs with her. You'll get one of the first numbers if not the first and you should be out of there fairly quick.

the last one on the elevator is the first one out of the elevator and will get on the line first

awwww now you're giving away all the secerets!

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

More than likely they told him it was slightly on the irregular side, but just like he said that comes from the nerves of being there. MAC doctors look for any excuse to put someone on medical hold. Any real physician without an agenda would know what nervousness looks like on an EKG. The MAC doctors don't even take into account that they have you laying down on an uncomfortable examination table feeling as awkward as can be.

Yeah, I heard that some of those doctors are a**holes and will put candidates on hold for the stupidest things. My question is what can be put on medical hold and what is a instant disqualification?? Also, how long does it take for the EKG to be done?

Yeah, I heard that some of those doctors are a**holes and will put candidates on hold for the stupidest things. My question is what can be put on medical hold and what is a instant disqualification?? Also, how long does it take for the EKG to be done?

The EKG lasts about a few minutes. Sometimes more if they feel that have questions. They can use any particular health condition from mild to moderate to serious to place a candidate on medical hold. Disqualifications would include the likes of mental health problems and more so physical disabilities that would clearly show an inability or even suggest a candidate might have difficulty mounting or dismounting a train from the roadbed.

The EKG lasts about a few minutes. Sometimes more if they feel that have questions. They can use any particular health condition from mild to moderate to serious to place a candidate on medical hold. Disqualifications would include the likes of mental health problems and more so physical disabilities that would clearly show an inability or even suggest a candidate might have difficulty mounting or dismounting a train from the roadbed.

Thank u 4 da heads up...

While the drug test works that way (first in first out), the medical doesn't.

Nurses and doctors call randomly, not in any order. Getting there early only means you will take the questionnaire first.

Not to mention if there are any issues you need to clear up you'll be given a small window during the day to do it but that's it, otherwise you go on medical hold.

Get through medical, then you go to final processing and you will be called in order for your title, since different HR employees handle different titles. So you need to wait until whoever is in front of you for your title is done, just because an HR person handling another title is open does not mean you will be next. The person who just walked in, if that's their title, will go before you.

The medical and final processing is all day - bring lunch, and bring 1 or 2 good books. Don't get caught sleeping, and you're not allowed to use electronic devices. Wait until after your blood pressure and EKG are taken to eat lunch, and RELAX while both are being done. Get proper rest the night before, this will help keep both down as well.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I went in this week for medical/final processing. I scored a 95 on the exam, and my list number is between 925-975.

I breezed through all of the medical exams with flying colors. Everything was going great! That is, until I saw the TA doctor.

I was put on the dreaded medical hold. All because I take a prescribed medication for anxiety. It's a low-dose, and I've taken it for years with no side effects. (My automobile driving record is spotless. I've operated all kinds of machinery-- except for subway cars-- without the slightest issue.) But the TA doctor said the medication is prohibited in "public safety-sensitive titles".

My dad and my uncle each did 30 years with the TA, and retired with pensions. I have wanted to be a motorman for a long time. I waited four just to get a letter from the OC list. Now I'm on medical hold, and I don't know what to do!

The medication I take really helps me. I've never had any issues with it, in any way. But the TA will not clear me until I am completely off the Rx. They want proof from my physician that I am no longer prescibed it. My physician would have to completely change my treatment regimen. I would need to undertake a long, uncomfortable, and potentially harmful withdrawal process. To the TA, this is preferrable to just allowing me to take my Rx and move forward. My motor-skills are unaffected! My physician went so far as to write a letter certifying my fitness for duty. But the TA doesn't care.

I am truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. Why should I have to undergo this long and difficult process, of which the outcome is uncertain-- and have no guarantee from the TA that I'll even have a job! They won't hold a spot for me. I feel that their position on this matter is totally unreasonable. I just don't know what to do. Can anyone advise? I am desperate.

The side effects of anxiety medication are very contradictive to a safety sensitive job, regardless of how you feel, the potential risk of the side effects raises a huge red flag. which is why you were placed on hold. My suggestion is to speak to your doctor and see what options you have.

The side effects of anxiety medication are very contradictive to a safety sensitive job, regardless of how you feel, the potential risk of the side effects raises a huge red flag. which is why you were placed on hold. My suggestion is to speak to your doctor and see what options you have.

Gotta agree with what the poster said safety sensitive title MTA is in the business of covering their arse and they will.... Medications like this raise serious red flags...

Not to mention this is a stressful job at times lots of things can go wrong in a blink of an eye. 

Edited by RTOMan

Thanks for the feedback guys. I could use any and all advice at this point! I think I will see my doctor and discuss my options. If the TA prohibits this particular med, I imagine nothing short of a (successful) legal action would make them budge, correct? It seems pretty cut-and-dry.

I wish I had the option of taking a "motor skills" test to prove to them that my reaction-time and perceptual abilities are unaffected by my medication. I know Motorman can be a demanding and stressful position, that carries with it great responsibility. My doctor and I believe that I am ready for it. But if the medication is the sticking point-- I guess I don't have too many options.

My other big concern is that of being "left behind" in the hiring process. Suppose I decide to eliminate the medication. That in itself could take a month to taper-off of. I know they've been hiring off this OC list at a steady pace since late 2012/early 2013. I don't want to come back in mid-late June and find out the books are closed!

While the drug test works that way (first in first out), the medical doesn't.

Nurses and doctors call randomly, not in any order. Getting there early only means you will take the questionnaire first.

Not to mention if there are any issues you need to clear up you'll be given a small window during the day to do it but that's it, otherwise you go on medical hold.

Get through medical, then you go to final processing and you will be called in order for your title, since different HR employees handle different titles. So you need to wait until whoever is in front of you for your title is done, just because an HR person handling another title is open does not mean you will be next. The person who just walked in, if that's their title, will go before you.

The medical and final processing is all day - bring lunch, and bring 1 or 2 good books. Don't get caught sleeping, and you're not allowed to use electronic devices. Wait until after your blood pressure and EKG are taken to eat lunch, and RELAX while both are being done. Get proper rest the night before, this will help keep both down as well.

I can't stress that part enough.  I HATE seeing doctors and HATE having wires attached to me even more! After I relaxed and distracted myself while they were doing the EKG and BP I was well within normal readings.

Edited by youngblaze

Anyone who went on May 9th get a call yet?

Nope didn't hear anything yet

My boy went in may 8 for d/t, list num just shy of 1200, still waiting also. Call will come in guys just hang on in there man, when i went in 5/15 for med there were only a few heads in there for TO spots, mostly had bus ops and train conductors doing medical. hopefully i'll see u guys in the 6/24 class. Good luck